BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Event:
Sustained speeds above 10,000 rpm can cause the spring in the timing chain tensioner check valve to break. Fragments of the broken spring can enter the oil through the oil circuit bottom case. In individual cases, debris may obstruct the flow of oil to the camshaft bearings. This can cause the camshaft to seize momentarily, further causing damage to the valve train. From February 1, 2022, all series deliveries will feature the new timing chain tensioner without springs. Temporarily mark the timing chain tensioner yellow point. After the tool is adjusted, the new item code will be printed on the case.

The new timing chain tensioner has no spring in the check valve.

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
That is interesting. I just brought a 2022 engine from a Feb 2022 built bike. I need to see what tensioner is in it. Possible this can also resolve some start up rattle similar to what the 15/16 engines had and the new tensioner for those in Silver cap resolved some of the start up rattle for those.

·
Registered
BMW S1000XR
131 Posts
That is interesting. I just brought a 2022 engine from a Feb 2022 built bike. I need to see what tensioner is in it. Possible this can also resolve some start up rattle similar to what the 15/16 engines had and the new tensioner for those in Silver cap resolved some of the start up rattle for those.
My Gen 2 XR always have this 1 sec startup rattle since i've got it tuned. I've never noticed it when i still had the high idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed the dealer replaced the tensioner as a "recall" when I picked up the bike from its scheduled service. Part listed as $200 (CDN). I had to come check the forum to see what it's all about.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8 Posts
Hi guys, my dealer said they replaced the tensioner on my bike but the new tensioner they replaced doesn’t have the yellow paint mark on it. So my question is the new tensioner suppose to have yellow paint mark on it so you know it’s been changed? Thanks

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, my dealer said they replaced the tensioner on my bike but the new tensioner they replaced doesn’t have the yellow paint mark on it. So my question is the new tensioner suppose to have yellow paint mark on it so you know it’s been changed? Thanks
Specifically says to mark it with a yellow pen in the measure.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
I asked my dealer a week or so ago and they said there was nothing open for my bike's vin. They added that I would hear from BMW if something needed doing.

Anyone have a working url for US registered bikes so I can check?

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
There is a page on bmw-motorrad site for US that used (I think) include a link on it but now the link is gone on that and all that's left is a message to Contact Local Dealer. My local dealer had nothing on this TSB for my bike a week ago.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
My bike was just at dealer to repair/replace a snapped clutch cable and they noticed this recall is now out there on bikes in the US. They said they replaced the cam chain tensioner with a new part. They also said a couple of bikes that go to them for service had been done as well.

So... you may want to check on your bike by calling your dealer. If you know of a link in the US that works to check for BMW recalls or service notices please post here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts