BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Removing the USA DRL

12K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  bennymx 
#1 · (Edited)
Removing the USA DRL

A major issue for me
with the Gen 2 XR has been the USA Daytime Running Light (DRL). The right two headlights stay on ALL THE TIME.

This is not the case with the European Models. Their Gen 2 XR’s just have the front LED’s running during the day.

A moderator on this BMW RR Forum has solved this issue. He is BEMRR Wizard (Shop | BEMRR Wizard ). Over the course of Saturday night he figured out how to install the European Auto daytime lights (DRL) on my 2021 BMS S1000XR.

After the install by BEMRR you go to the SETTINGS/ VEHICLE/ LIGHTS & turn on the Auto daytime lights (DRL’s). The change one see’s with this install is a small “A inside a light” appears on the left inferior corner of the TFT all the time. In sunlight a green light appears on the left side of the TFT. When the green light is on then, THE RIGHT HEADLIGHTS ARE OFF & the bike only has the front LED’s running during daylight!!! This feature is installed on European Gen 2 XR’s but, not those shipped to the USA.
Yes, I did remove the Bren Stage 1 tune during this install to be safe. Reinstalled the Bren Stage 1 tune and there were no issues.
For all USA owners that want to get rid of those awful DRL’s get in touch with BEMRR Wizard at Log in or sign up to view or bemrrwizard@outlook.com. You will require:
1. ENET cable- BMW (order off ebay)
2. Windows Laptop with ethernet port. If not then you will also need a USB to ethernet adapter (Not MAC/Apple)
3. Teamviewer software

I have NO FINANCIAL INTEREST in this mod…

Best,
Doco_O (y) o_O

See less See more
#7 ·
I modified one of my Ducatis with a Euro switch set which allows me to turn off the headlights for starting the bike (the headlight otherwise remained on). One could certainly run the bike without a headlight as well, of course.

I have no idea what KTM does or does not do.

#8 ·
Gary:

Thanks so much for sharing this. I've already contacted Bemrr Wizard to have this done on my bike. Question...did you DRL's (LED's) become brighter once this was activated? It seems like they run at 50% brightness with the US spec (RH low beam on).

Thank you!

#9 ·
Gary:

Thanks so much for sharing this. I've already contacted Bemrr Wizard to have this done on my bike. Question...did you DRL's (LED's) become brighter once this was activated? It seems like they run at 50% brightness with the US spec (RH low beam on).

Thank you!
duress,

Yep, I noticed that also. The mod does make the front LED's brighter to me.

Best,

Doc:unsure:

#16 · (Edited)
Hopefully, you never have to learn this but if in an accident even when not your fault. The very first thing opposing counsel will accuse you of is driving w/o a headlight.

My BMW F900XR (US) w/o mods runs w/both DRLs and the headlight. I too may start running the high beam too as described in the article and a previous poster suggested.

Since 1979, most motorcycles sold in the United States have been equipped with automatic-on headlamps to meet some state requirements. This seems to have been an effective method of making them more conspicuous and reducing right-of-way violations. Currently, 86 percent of motorcycles on the road have their headlights on during daytime (Turner, 2000).

#18 ·
Hopefully, you never have to learn this but if in an accident even when not your fault. The very first thing opposing counsel will accuse you of is driving w/o a headlight.

My BMW F900XR (US) w/o mods runs w/both DRLs and the headlight. I too may start running the high beam too as described in the article and a previous poster suggested.

National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety
I'm of the opinion that the DRL's on high minus low beam are actually more visible and easier for drivers to spot then the US spec'ed bikes with DRL's @ approximately 50% and low beam illuminated. I realize this hasn't been studied for motorcycles, but it has for autos and been found effective.

I have the optional factory auxiliary lights, plus, I am adding Clearwater Darla's in the spring. I'm not worried in the least about "opposing counsel" accusing me of not being seen. I would win that argument hands down.

For me, it is all about being seen and this is the best way in my opinion. Added benefit...it looks sooooo much better! (y)

#17 ·
Don't want to start something but the high beams on all day started back when some of us starting riding bikes made in the late 60's and 70's. I'm of the opinion that today's brighter lights will annoy most oncoming traffic. Sure some will say hope it annoys them because they're seeing me. I don't see it that way. Just food for thought.

#24 ·
First of all, please prepare this item.

1) Windows PC
2) esysultra or bimmerutility FDL software (not free)
3) esys software (the seller will tell you where to get it when you purchase the FDL software)
4) ENET cable (available on Amazon) or ICOM
5) Stabilized power supply (voltage drop during coding is dangerous and causes an error)

Parker might get mad at me...

#25 ·
i have done DRL and sport screen by using the latest e-sys and the $11 enet cable from amazon. these 2 mods can be done on FA=VO without any license.

im not sold yet on bimmerutility or esysultra cost $100 or more just to code the FDL for ///M startup and heated grips.

#31 · (Edited)
#32 ·
Sellers know a lot of coding information, but they don't say it publicly on forums.

I give a lot of other information, but I don't give out the essential information.
because there will be less work.

There used to be information about TFT and DRL on this forum, but it seems to have been deleted.
Because one of the forum admins is a seller?