BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently broke my hand in a lowside wearing BMW gauntlet gloves that were a couple years old. Not sure if it was the gloves fault as fingers are hard to protect, but I ripped the gloves in the process so time to get a new pair. Looking for recommendations from the group, price no object. At the top of my list are the Held Evo, Alpinestars Supertech, and Dainese Full Metal. Curious what racers are using today? Protection is more important that feel for me at this point. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
I like Held a great deal and my hands survived a bad crash while wearing a pair (other parts of me did not do as well). The gloves are scuffed but remain in remarkably good shape.

On the other hand, so to speak, I have had a pair of Alpinestars gauntlets explode upon impact. I will never wear their gloves again, although they make excellent boots and other equipment.

·
4,645 Posts
Held evo: bulky, best protection. Works best with long fingers. They offer short finger on Phantom gloves but they don't have as much protection. Def try them before buying as sizing chart is off, at least it was for me and few other people.

Alp*: Their gloves are crap. Stay away, two pairs and the stitching came off.

Daiense: full metal 6 (newest one not older), is great. It's my current favorite.

Another one is racerglove, held up well in 2 crashes, good feel and protection. A bit cheaper than Daiense.

·
Registered
957 Posts
unhelpful reply: get the gloves that fit you the best

maybe helpful reply: have a look at the gloves the GP guys use, especially those who crash a lot :) FIVE and Furygan seem to be well used by the crashers. Also look for features like pinky protection, palm protection, kangaroo leather outside stitching on fingers.

·
4,645 Posts
I cannot recommend Heroic gloves. My friend crashed in their suit and gloves, stitching all came apart.

Five gloves are good, but not many distributors in US so I did not recommend them. If you go to Europe (they're made in France) you will get sick deals on them there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I will be in the search for new gloves sometimes in the future. I have a Held suit, good safety features and rather good construction too... their gloves seem to be even better, I would just prefer to not have an option with plastic rather than titan. Otherwise they're on my watchlist...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Held

HELD for me.
Yes,they had quality issues in the past. I had pair of Held gloves with issues,they replaced the defective glove with the New and Improved glove for a discounted price for the replacement which I felt was Fair .

·
Registered
262 Posts
On both palms of my Held Titian Evos, the leather just to the inside of the carbon slider at the base if the pinky wore through/separated... within 2 months. I bought them while overseas and didn't bother trying to get them replaced. Probably should have though. They do feel very protective/stiff but the quality let me down a bit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Alp*: Their gloves are crap. Stay away, two pairs and the stitching came off.
Third or fourth saying Alpinestars is ****! This is from going down at 60 mph. Four holes strait through, I received bad rash on my palm. I like their other gear just not the gloves.

I'm currently using the new Double R gloves, tons of protection. I don't think any glove will protect your hand from breaking if you land on it in certain ways.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I like the fit and feel of the A*'s, but the stitching never lasts and the microfibre or whatever the man made material is often seems to fuzz and unravel too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm currently using the new Double R gloves, tons of protection. I don't think any glove will protect your hand from breaking if you land on it in certain ways.
Very true, and applies to all of our gear, including helmets, we take a risk every time we step foot on track/street.

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Third or fourth saying Alpinestars is ****! This is from going down at 60 mph. Four holes strait through, I received bad rash on my palm. I like their other gear just not the gloves.

These weren't the GP Tech gloves, right? It looks like the palm sliders went missing or what? I've seen even worse than that like gloves literally disintegrating in this kind of crash.

The double R gloves are made by Held, right?

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
To folks who mention held gloves, it is possible that their quality has degraded over time. After reading all the glowing reviews, I bought the held titan evo gloves and stitching was loose on the inside, returned to revzilla for a replacement pair and same issue. I had posted pics in a different thread. Maybe it was just my bad luck but I have trouble trusting them if new gloves displayed that level of shoddy workmanship. They did feel good and I liked the fit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
These weren't the GP Tech gloves, right? It looks like the palm sliders went missing or what? I've seen even worse than that like gloves literally disintegrating in this kind of crash.

The double R gloves are made by Held, right?
The palm slider was obliterated. This is the Alpinestar SP-1 glove at $170, just below the GP Tech glove. I ordered teh Alpinestars GP PRO R2's and returned them for the Double R's after I got them in and took a look at them. I don't trust Alpinestars anymore for gloves.

I believe BMW glove is made by Held.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The palm slider was obliterated. This is the Alpinestar SP-1 glove at $170, just below the GP Tech glove. I ordered teh Alpinestars GP PRO R2's and returned them for the Double R's after I got them in and took a look at them. I don't trust Alpinestars anymore for gloves.

I believe BMW glove is made by Held.
Ok. I have a pair of GP Techs and they've proven to be quite sturdy over time. Never crashed but I use them in all conditions, some days ago were 10+ hours under the rain, the stitches look good inside and out. The stitches in my Daineses got stiff after the first moderate rain and opened slightly in some points. Rubbish. Of course I don't want to crash test the GP Techs, I can't swear by them but I must admit they're aging quite well.

It seems to me there's a big gap in quality and features between the GP Techs and the lower lines, and this might be true for other brands as well. Quality control is very serious stuff, it's quite disappointing to see some issues with the Held gloves...

Two other options are Knox and Taichi, the Spidis don't have palm sliders as far as I'm aware of.

·
Registered
262 Posts
To folks who mention held gloves, it is possible that their quality has degraded over time. After reading all the glowing reviews, I bought the held titan evo gloves and stitching was loose on the inside, returned to revzilla for a replacement pair and same issue. I had posted pics in a different thread. Maybe it was just my bad luck but I have trouble trusting them if new gloves displayed that level of shoddy workmanship. They did feel good and I liked the fit.
Unless something has changed in their manufacturing, I'd probably pass on them. Premium materials, no doubt, but I think the kangroo is too thin on the palm.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Unless something has changed in their manufacturing, I'd probably pass on them. Premium materials, no doubt, but I think the kangroo is too thin on the palm.

Agreed

I also have the A* Supertech R gloves that I haven’t worn even once - they didn’t fit me and my return window expired. I need to sell them. Not sure how they secured CE2 rating. They don’t appear to be tougher than my Heroic SPR Pros or the Dainese Full Metal 6 gloves. The A* Supertech’s stitching on fingers is nifty and definitely something to admire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts