BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooooooooo after swapping 2 new rotors and 2 sets of rear pads, the very rare times i use the rear brake i get this loud what sounds like a semi stopping noise coming from the rear brakes and i cant seem to figure out the issue. Galfer rear wave rotor and pads .............. help.......me ..........please.:nerd::nerd:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and i have tried to search for an answer but i could not come across anything.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This might sound dumb, but, did you make sure the pads are properly seated in the caliper? I made this mistake 2 seasons ago with my old track gsxr 600. Swapped front pads at the track and because I as in a rush I forgot to double check and make sure the guide pins went through BOTH pads. By some miracle, they held up on the track until I got hit by another rider trying to pass me on the inside(it was a track day not a race) >:/ I didn't find out that one pad was off until I finished putting it back together last year. I took it out for a test ride and heard a loud knocking sound. Also, when I applied the front brakes, the lever was pulsating as if I had badly warped rotors. Brought it back in the garage, looked it over and realized that one pad was hanging because the guide pin wasn't going through the alignment hole.

·
Registered
942 Posts
sooooooooo after swapping 2 new rotors and 2 sets of rear pads, the very rare times i use the rear brake i get this loud what sounds like a semi stopping noise coming from the rear brakes and i cant seem to figure out the issue. Galfer rear wave rotor and pads .............. help.......me ..........please.:nerd::nerd:

did you get the rear bushing on correctly

·
Vendor
2,474 Posts
You can isolate the issue with what you have.

Put the OEM pads in place the galfer pads but on the galfer rotor. See if the OEM pads interact with the rotor better. while you are indicating that the pads are from the same company as the rotor, there might be some material incompatibility still. Change one thing and see if it helps. If it does, you can complain to Galfer better that you have an issue with their combination they are selling.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This might sound dumb, but, did you make sure the pads are properly seated in the caliper? I made this mistake 2 seasons ago with my old track gsxr 600. Swapped front pads at the track and because I as in a rush I forgot to double check and make sure the guide pins went through BOTH pads. By some miracle, they held up on the track until I got hit by another rider trying to pass me on the inside(it was a track day not a race) >:/ I didn't find out that one pad was off until I finished putting it back together last year. I took it out for a test ride and heard a loud knocking sound. Also, when I applied the front brakes, the lever was pulsating as if I had badly warped rotors. Brought it back in the garage, looked it over and realized that one pad was hanging because the guide pin wasn't going through the alignment hole.
im pretty sure that they are seated in there correctly, but i do plan on inspecting them again tomorrow after i sand the pads and rotors a little to give it a fresh surface

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Put the OEM pads in place the galfer pads but on the galfer rotor. See if the OEM pads interact with the rotor better. while you are indicating that the pads are from the same company as the rotor, there might be some material incompatibility still. Change one thing and see if it helps. If it does, you can complain to Galfer better that you have an issue with their combination they are selling.
i would if i had the old pads....... ill order a pair and see how that goes

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
He means is the peg in the slot to locate the bracket for the caliper properly? The bushing is on the axle but the peg has to slide in the slot on the swingarm.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i have no idea what bushing you're talking about lol ..........Pic?

I have installed captive spacers so these don't fall out so easily.
These parts have different thicknesses and when you remove the rear they can be reversed by mistake. parts #9 and #18
Rear Axle spacers.JPG

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
It's possible the spacers could be switched, but then the chain would be out of alignment. Also possible I guess that a pad is in backwards or both pads are on one side instead of one on each side of the rotor. OP we need pictures.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So i replaced the rear pads yesterday but didnt get a chance to ride so we will see how they are when i get some riding in

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He means is the peg in the slot to locate the bracket for the caliper properly? The bushing is on the axle but the peg has to slide in the slot on the swingarm.
Yesterday when i was replacing the pads, the rubber sleeve thats around the peg that slides into the bracket for the rear brake came out completely. i managed to get one of those sleeves in all the way but the second is not sealed in the hole

is this normal?

·
Vendor
2,474 Posts
Mine fell out one time. They just keep water and dirt from getting into the pin area. you can work the rubber back in the holding lip, but it takes some time.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine fell out one time. They just keep water and dirt from getting into the pin area. you can work the rubber back in the holding lip, but it takes some time.
yeah i figured thats what id be spending my time on when i get off work today..... couldnt sleep bcuz of it haha im too OCD about little stuff like that

·
Registered
35 Posts
im pretty sure that they are seated in there correctly, but i do plan on inspecting them again tomorrow after i sand the pads and rotors a little to give it a fresh surface
Tell me, what do you use to process (cleaning) the surface of the rotors?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts