BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Vendor
3,411 Posts
OP has Injection and Ignition settings available in the settings file. I thought those are only available if ecu is power kit enabled?
No, the fueling and timing can be adjusted with only RCK2 or RCK3 enable ...

The RCK2 is a little more limited to the features of HP power kit enabled, but turn off O2's, Tire Radius, Engine Overrun... I cant remember everything on RCK2 that pops up, as there is a few more things on RCK3 ..

Reactions: speedfinn

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No, the fueling and timing can be adjusted with only RCK2 or RCK3 enable ...

The RCK2 is a little more limited to the features of HP power kit enabled, but turn off O2's, Tire Radius, Engine Overrun... I cant remember everything on RCK2 that pops up, as there is a few more things on RCK3 ..
Thanx @BMW_388. Received your PM. I recalled I spoke to you a while ago regarding this, but as I am in South Africa, it would be a bit expensive for me at this current stage. I will defiantly get back to you on this.

Question... I can turn off O2's and do the engine overrun. Only two things I do not have access to is the launch control and the tyre radius. Is there any other features I am missing?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The data logger file you sent me: Front wheel speed vs Rear wheel speed -difference is close to zero. So what ever tyres you were using at that time; you can get a decent setup without any problems with those tyres.
I will be forced to use these tyres, so would like to get a setup for them. Should I be able to get away with this without the tyre radius change being necessary, I would do that at a later stage.

Would you be able to assist me with a base map for me to try and then take it from there?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I will be forced to use these tyres, so would like to get a setup for them. Should I be able to get away with this without the tyre radius change being necessary, I would do that at a later stage.

Would you be able to assist me with a base map for me to try and then take it from there?
Press "node generator" buttons on the left side of the SlipCor map, and change the divisions to:
X-axis 40 44 48 52 56 60 and Y-axis 30 60 90 120 150 180 210.

The cell values can be copy-pasted directly from a spreadsheet.
Or plain text file if the values are Tab-separated: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab-separated_values )

So, start using a spredsheets. And make a simple graph from the values. When you make changes to a cell, you can visually see the difference and you can keep the surrounding cells coherent.

I took your current map, interpolated values for different lean angles, changed division, added a small amount (0-1%) of allowed slip at 60 kmh, and made the map coherent.

If you are really nerdy, add push buttons which allows you to change cell values just by clicking. And make cell values interdependent. In this use case it helps a lot. Result might be something like this: http://racedac.com/s1000rr/SlipCorrMapSpreadSheet.png

In case you are wondering "Last digit missing...?" Do you really need 1/10 000 accuracy...?

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you for this. I will go and make the adjustments as per your suggested map and try it out and revert.

If you dont ask, you wont know, so how stupid as it might sound, this is the only way I will learn.

I understand the y and x axis is Wheel speed vs lean angle, so I understand that if I change the divisions to X-axis 40 44 48 52 56 60 that I am changing the window of lean angle to which I can make adjustments and by changing the Y-axis to 30 60 90 120 150 180 210 that I am changing the speed adjustment. I do understand that I can change the y-axis to 270 or 300, but it would be useless as I will never reach those speeds with a great lean angle, so I will aim to setup the slip to a certain speed which I do on a certain track. (correct me if I am wrong)

So my question is: 0.000 means ?? Maximum slip?? and 9.023 = minimum slip?? I just want to know how I should adjust the numbers to give me more or less slip. Is there a calculation that I need to work out before changing anything or do I just thumb suck numbers? Is 0.000 the minimum you can set it to and 10 the max?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thank you for this. I will go and make the adjustments as per your suggested map and try it out and revert.

If you dont ask, you wont know, so how stupid as it might sound, this is the only way I will learn.

I understand the y and x axis is Wheel speed vs lean angle, so I understand that if I change the divisions to X-axis 40 44 48 52 56 60 that I am changing the window of lean angle to which I can make adjustments and by changing the Y-axis to 30 60 90 120 150 180 210 that I am changing the speed adjustment. I do understand that I can change the y-axis to 270 or 300, but it would be useless as I will never reach those speeds with a great lean angle, so I will aim to setup the slip to a certain speed which I do on a certain track. (correct me if I am wrong)

So my question is: 0.000 means ?? Maximum slip?? and 9.023 = minimum slip?? I just want to know how I should adjust the numbers to give me more or less slip. Is there a calculation that I need to work out before changing anything or do I just thumb suck numbers? Is 0.000 the minimum you can set it to and 10 the max?
Only stupid people do not ask questions.

Yes. Additionally, do you understand that your custom TrqControl map will not stop you low- or hi-sideing _IF_ you crank way too much throttle? Your current TrqControl map will only soften the rear slipping. I am asking, just to make sure, that you know what kind of settings you currently have.

0 is mimimum, and 100 is maximum, but reasonable values are from 0 to 10.
But there are also some other things to consider...

To make things more simple, lets forget all the "small" details which has an (dynamic) effect (lateral and logitudinal grip, throttle, braking, tyre pressures, tyre wear, etc).

DTC intervention and functionality is very dynamic, not "on-off".
DTC will usually start to intervene when calculated slip% is greater than 10%, less than that:"no problemo".
DTC calculates slip% from front wheel speed vs rear wheel speed difference.
DTC does not know the actual wheel speed, it only measures the rotational speeds ("ABS ring") and multiplies those with tyre radius to get the wheel speeds.

When bike is upright wheel speeds are very easy to understand.
When leaning over, tyre profiles start to get involved. The reason is the actual physical shape of the profile: At the edge of the tyre the contact patch is closer to the wheel axle -> effective tyre radius is smaller. If the "ground speed" stays the same, wheel will rotate faster.

At maximum lean angle the effective front wheel tyre radius is about 5% smaller = calculated front wheel speed is 5% faster.
And the effective rear wheel tyre radius is about 10% smaller = calculated rear wheel speed is 10% faster.
If you check your data and compaire V_GPS and V_Front and V_Rear, and you will see something like that.

So, at maximum lean angle; rear wheel speed 10% - front wheel speed 5% = 5% speed difference.
DTC thinks that there is 5%(slip) calculated rear wheel slip, when actual slip is zero.
And that is why DTC also has SlipCorr map(s). If the map says that 5% silp is ok at max lean angle, then DTC calculates 10%(rw) - 5%(fw) - 5%(slipcorr) = 0%(slip)

By using Slip Corr map, we can tell the DTC how much actual slip will be allowed in different speeds and lean angles; before DTC intervenes.
Big number (...10) = more slip allowed before DTC intervenes.
Small number (0...) = less slip allowed before DTC intervenes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
So to answer your question:

"
Yes. Additionally, do you understand that your custom TrqControl map will not stop you low- or hi-sideing _IF_ you crank way too much throttle? Your current TrqControl map will only soften the rear slipping. I am asking, just to make sure, that you know what kind of settings you currently have."

Well I do understand that when I get on the gas that I can still hi-side yes as it has happened a few times. Luckily I could stay on the bike, so I understand that the current setup is not fool proof, but is still setup in a way to save my ass...

As you explained the above, I fully understand. I am busy studying the manual on the RCK, but some of the stuff I do not fully understand.

So Injection tab with lambda, overrun, Mixture correction and engine brake I fully understand.

Ignition tab with Knock control and ignition offset I understand.

All the other I understand. (L-con, abs, etc etc)

What I dont understand is:

DTC grip level:

1. I understand that vehicle mode 1 - 4 is the 4 riding modes available which is rain,sport,race,slick. What is 5 - 8?
2. I understand that the values that I use here is a "base" which the DTC will work on.
3. I understand that 1.95 will be the max that I can enter and should I do this, I will be turning the Pre control off.
4. How do I know what this number should be? In the manual, they talk about to start low and work your way up on the radius until the tyre breaks away. So now for me that cant access the tyre radius, how will I know what to set it at? Currently my mode 1 is 1.225 and for 2,3 and 4 its 1.450. If I understand it correctly,I will have more DTC intervention in mode 1 than in mode 2,3 and 4? Mode 2,3 and 4 will have all the same intervention which will be less than mode 1? (Taking into consideration that Slip correction mode values 2 - 4 are all the same)

DTC Reduction pre control:

If I understand it correctly, the values you set here is for 70 - 100 % grip available for your RPM range for the engine to deliver a certain percentage of torque, depending on where you are in the table? I also understand that 100.1 is maximum.

So for interest sake, if I make changes on the table,e.g. 90% at 5000 rpm to 90.9, then for example if the bike is at a 50 degree lean angle with 90 percent grip at 5000rpm, it wil only give me 90.9% torque?

1. If so, what happens before 70% grip level?
2. I dont understand that in gear 2-6 that the value is multiplied (gear 2 = 1.27, gear 3 = 1.53,etc) If I have 90% grip and I am in 3rd, is that 90 * 1.53 = 137.7% torque??

DTC Lean angle:

Should mode 1, 2 and 3 be set at 0, the DTC will constantly be active? If mode 4 is at 40, the DTC will not intervene if the bike is below 40 Degrees?

Slip cor mode 1 - 4

I am fairly confident that I understand what is happening here now and what to do, but I will go and play with it to see what happens.:grin2:

DTC trqcontrol

1. How does the steps 1-20 work? I understand that 1.000, there are no reduction to torque and 0.000 will be no torque supplied, but how is the steps implemented?
2. So if I want my tyre to last longer, I will have something like 1.000, 0.980, 0.960, 0.910, 0.850, 0.800, 0.750 and if I am after grip and want to shred a tyre, I will have something like 1.000, 1.000, 0.980, 0.970, 0.950, 0.920, etc... (over exaggerated)

DTC trqincrease

If I understand it correctly its basically how quickly the ECU gives power back to you as soon as the DTC is "turned off" Low RPM (4000) with a high number (1.2) would give me more drive than a high RPM (11000) with a low number (0.51)

Hope that I dont ask to much, but would like to be certain before I make changes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So to answer your question:
DTC grip level:

1. I understand that vehicle mode 1 - 4 is the 4 riding modes available which is rain,sport,race,slick. What is 5 - 8?
The ECU has more options than BMW have used. They should have removed this from the RCK as 5-8 is not used
2. I understand that the values that I use here is a "base" which the DTC will work on.
3. I understand that 1.95 will be the max that I can enter and should I do this, I will be turning the Pre control off.
4. How do I know what this number should be? In the manual, they talk about to start low and work your way up on the radius until the tyre breaks away. So now for me that cant access the tyre radius, how will I know what to set it at? Currently my mode 1 is 1.225 and for 2,3 and 4 its 1.450. If I understand it correctly,I will have more DTC intervention in mode 1 than in mode 2,3 and 4? Mode 2,3 and 4 will have all the same intervention which will be less than mode 1? (Taking into consideration that Slip correction mode values 2 - 4 are all the same)
The Grip Level is used for the PreControl to determine how close you are to losing grip. This value represents the radius of the Kamm Braking circle, you can find loads of info about that. You could mention this as the amount of grip the tire has. A value of 1,450 is advised when using slicks.

If I understand it correctly, the values you set here is for 70 - 100 % grip available for your RPM range for the engine to deliver a certain percentage of torque, depending on where you are in the table? I also understand that 100.1 is maximum.

So for interest sake, if I make changes on the table,e.g. 90% at 5000 rpm to 90.9, then for example if the bike is at a 50 degree lean angle with 90 percent grip at 5000rpm, it wil only give me 90.9% torque?
No, when at 5000 rpm you use 90% of the maximum grip level it will only give you 90,9% of available torque. The relationship of lateral acceleration and lean angle is not linear, so this could happen at any lean angle while accelerating.

You would be able to use 100% of available torque
2. I dont understand that in gear 2-6 that the value is multiplied (gear 2 = 1.27, gear 3 = 1.53,etc) If I have 90% grip and I am in 3rd, is that 90 * 1.53 = 137.7% torque??

DTC Lean angle:

Should mode 1, 2 and 3 be set at 0, the DTC will constantly be active? If mode 4 is at 40, the DTC will not intervene if the bike is below 40 Degrees?
Correct

Slip cor mode 1 - 4

I am fairly confident that I understand what is happening here now and what to do, but I will go and play with it to see what happens.:grin2:

DTC trqcontrol

1. How does the steps 1-20 work? I understand that 1.000, there are no reduction to torque and 0.000 will be no torque supplied, but how is the steps implemented?
No entirely sure how the 20 steps relate to what is happening, but I think the ECU decreases the torque output by 10ms per step. So when you lose grip, the torque is reduced to zero in 200ms
2. So if I want my tyre to last longer, I will have something like 1.000, 0.980, 0.960, 0.910, 0.850, 0.800, 0.750 and if I am after grip and want to shred a tyre, I will have something like 1.000, 1.000, 0.980, 0.970, 0.950, 0.920, etc... (over exaggerated)
Not sure if it works like that. Normally you tune this table to get a smoother DTC intervention.

DTC trqincrease

If I understand it correctly its basically how quickly the ECU gives power back to you as soon as the DTC is "turned off" Low RPM (4000) with a high number (1.2) would give me more drive than a high RPM (11000) with a low number (0.51)

Hope that I dont ask to much, but would like to be certain before I make changes.
Answered some questions in your quote.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thank you for that. Slowly understanding what is going on here... :grin2:

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
DTC grip level:

The datalogger values for A_Lon_GPS (longitudinal acceleration) and A_Lat_GPS (lateral acceleration) can be used with Pythagoras to calculate how much Grip is used.
Quick example:
A_Lon_GPS = 8.52 m/s2
A_Lat_GPS = 3.89 m/s2
Square root((8.52/9.81)^2+(3.89/9.81)^2) = 0.9115g, GripLevel set at 1.45 in slick mode, so we are using 0.9115/1.45 = 68% of available grip.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
QUOTE=Slaki

Well I do understand that when I get on the gas that I can still hi-side yes as it has happened a few times. Luckily I could stay on the bike, so I understand that the current setup is not fool proof, but is still setup in a way to save my ass...

As I said I just wanted to make sure that you understand your current settings. Because now if you start allowing more and more slip (SlipCor map), you know that DTC will not save you (TrqControl map), it will just smoothen up the rear slipping.

DTC grip level:

You should not mix grip level/pre control with tyre radius.
If you want to go the easy way, just turn off grip level/pre control.
The basic idea of grip level/pre control is to smoothen up the engine behaviour mainly on first gear high torque/power situations. Because you have more potential in engine than can be used on first gear.
Grip level/pre control is used _before_ rear starts to slip. I would rather say you have more pre control on mode 1 than in modes 2-4.
With your current settings, you should just log data and analyse it and see if the data says the same thing as your own analog ass-sensor. And then fine tune SlipCor map. You should not touch tyre radius, because at the moment it has correct values, and your overall DTC settings are not that far away from perfect (for you).
If you would have some standard/default/stock maps, then you could use tyre radius setting to roughly test out how much you must first change the maps, before you can start to fine tune.

DTC Lean angle:

If DTC on is 0: With current SlipCorr map your bike would probably be a bit sluggish because every time when bike starts to wheelie, front wheel speed stays the same and rear wheel speed rises. And DTC thinks rear is slipping and starts to intervene.
If you (or someone) want to also use (test) DTC as wheelie control, then I suggest you change the division in SlipCor map, and have a 0 lean angle column to be able to change the wheelie-slip values separately vs 40 deg values.

Slip cor mode 1 - 4

DTC trqcontrol

It is more timing-issue than shredding-issue. With high values your throttle grip vs engine torq is more 1:1. So you do not give DTC any chance to smoothen out the slipping in any case.
TrqCont and SlipCor work together, and if you want to shred your tyre; add more allowed slip to SlipCor, and then crank throttle linearily and when you find the limit, keep it there for a short while, and TrqCont map will try to keep the slip% constant by varying engine torq, and then crank linearily some more throttle.
So, too little or too much TrqCont will not shred your tyre.

DTC trqincrease

It also ramps up the torq when slip% starts to decrease. At 4krpm you have so little torq available that you can input all torq instantly. But at 11krpm you have max torq and you must smoothen out the torq ramp up.

Well, easy way is to tell what you are trying to achieve, and with what kind of changes you are trying to achieve it, before you make the changes.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Nearly...multiply reduction by total gear ratio and compute the delta:
gear_reduction_used grip level_ratio
1st_10.0%_90.0%_1.00
2nd_12.7%_87.3%_1.27
3rd_15.3%_84.7%_1.53
4th_17.6%_82.4%_1.76
5th_19.5%_80.5%_1.95
6th_21.0%_79.0%_2.10

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanx to all for the info. It is starting to make sense.

I dont have an "achievable target" currently where I can say, This is what I want and how do I get there. I am just trying to understand what is happening in the system before I mess it all up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@Slaki
It's easy to mess up and get lost if one change to many things at once.
I've been using a simpel strategy when introdusing new users to RCK.

First off, the "works" SlipCorrMaps are more than accurate to start with, needs only to be changed if they are speed unbalansed or otherwise not working as they should in correlation to tyre profile, drop of in circumferens. The PreControlMap also works fairly good, I use it because of tyre life and if you deaktivate it you fly in to the reactive part of the tractioncontrol system all the time the slip control.

The TrqControl map needs some adjustment from standard, but from your screenshots I think they are ok. Although I let the reduction drop to 0,650 around 15th iteration and then the rest the same. The TrqIncrease map also needs some tweaking and yours look ok. These maps are used to reduce torqe as it tries to regain alowed slip, ca 10%, and the how it winds it back on when target slip is hit.
The SlipCorrMaps should try to reflect the radius dropoff and griploss as the bike leans.

So my advise is that you leave SlipCorrMaps and PreControl as is in "works" config.
I do not know what tyres you use but it works as well to just tape measure circumferens and start with that. Or if you use Pirellis use Works setting.
The relationship between the the front and rear radii is correlated to the above mentioned 10% sliptarget.
If I remeber the works pirelli numbers differ by 9,1%. Thats why manual says "around 10%".

So what you do is to reduce or increase rear radii to globaly adjust tractioncontrol.
I you decrease the the rearwheel radii by 1% it will produce 1% more slip in all modes aka later intervention of the tractioncontrol.
I you increase the rearwheel radii by 1% it wikk produce 1% less slip in all modes aka earlier intervention of the TC system.

This is all you have to do and very easy to understand. But as you know the bike setup also inpact how the system works, "pumping" chassi movment or "occilating" TC, accelerating out of a corner can often be a setup issue.

If you are a really fastrider, competing on national level or ecual, there can bee other things that can be needed to adress with the TC system. But when i support those riders i always request a logg from the event and a RCK file from file same event, also need to talk to the rider. This because riders perseption off whats wrong at a certan point not always is whats happening. Many times it's rider error as Speedfinn an others mentioned.
Also remember deceasing rearwheel radii is the dangerous whay so smal changes i adviced!

Sorry for the "sloppy" english. Hope it helps little. And simplify things for you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
@Slaki Any update to this?
Funny you ask. I was out on the bike for the first time today since the change you suggested. This weekend will be the first race. It is definatly better, but still feel the hold back in the one corner. I am testing new tyres, so I dont want to blame it on the RCK as yet. I will give a better update by next week.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
but still feel the hold back in the one corner
That was expected because I did not make a map which would have jumped too much forward at once:
"I took your current map, interpolated values for different lean angles, changed division, added a small amount (0-1%) of allowed slip at 60 kmh, and made the map coherent."
Check your mail/send me the files (data and settings), and I will make you a next step forward.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Slaki said: “When it comes to my RCK setup. The current map you suggested is the one I am using now and I really like it. How would I go about to build a map for tyre ware (Maybe second race on same tyres) and for rain? “

There are a couple of issues with RCK.

RCK has only one torque control and one torque increase map.
And different modes have different algorithms/ functionalities.
And you do not know how they work/ bmw does not tell you.

So, it depends on what you want.
For example, do you want a safety net for wet?

If so, you must make a totally independent rck wet settings file. And you must change the rck file to your ecu, when weather changes; dry vs wet.
You can not use your current RCK-settings file as a base for that map, because torque maps in your current file does not work as a safety net.
And if you make RCK-settings file for wet track, and if you choose to use rain-mode, then there is more unknown algorithms than in slick-mode.
If you want more control, then use slick-mode/ and you must test which settings work for you.

So you must first choose what you want/ how you want to use wet-settings.

It is sad that bmw did not make totally different settings map combos for different modes. In RnD it would have taken a couple of hours to code and test those, and to apply them to ecu rck sw.
And one additional feature could have been; enable/disable those hidden algorithims.
And throttle response maps per gear. I would love to have...
Engine brake maps...
All those features would (RnD) cost XXX to apply to sw, so that would have been little to nothing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well to say that I Suck in the rain is a massive understatement... The first time out in the rain on full wets, I lost the front, so I have no confidence at all when it comes to riding in the wet.

I would like to build a map which I can upload to the ECU for wet days that will save my ass when I get on the gas to hard with certain lean angles, seeing that I already have that problem.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well to say that I Suck in the rain is a massive understatement... The first time out in the rain on full wets, I lost the front, so I have no confidence at all when it comes to riding in the wet.

I would like to build a map which I can upload to the ECU for wet days that will save my ass when I get on the gas to hard with certain lean angles, seeing that I already have that problem.

Any suggestions?
Well, in that case you could start with default RCK (rain)mapS and rain-mode. That should be absolutely sucker-proof.

AND; Copy the same GripLevel (1.25), LeanAngleDTCon(25) and SlipCorr-map(see txt file) settings to all modes(1-4); rain, sport, race, slick; in the wet RCK settings file.

If you find rain-mode way too restrictive, just change to sport mode. Then you have all the same maps/settings, and the only difference is those hidden algorithms. And if sport is too restrictive, change to race-mode. And race -> slick if still too restricted.

And if you need a custom wet rck settings, then you need to provide a wet session data log.

Did you lost the front before or after apex?
On brakes or off brakes?
On line or off line?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 54 Posts