BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Zx10 i totally agree . Stainless is good tough material for a radiator guard but its pointless if/when the zip ties break and the radiator guard is dangling in the wind when your on the highway out in the middle of nowhere 50 miles from civilization lol. IMO your correct go with the good mounts .
What some of you are not recognizing as you don't have one of the factory guards to look at is that the design of the factory guard is actually pretty good. The fins are oriented where they're slanted to provide maximum frontal coverage to guard against objects hitting it; as it's supposed to do. But the way the fins are canted still allows through normal airflow that a standard guard would provide. To fabricate one out of metal with this type of design would be prohibitively expensive. I think that's why the factory guards are plastic as it's easier to manufacture.

The other thing about the Alpha guard is that there is no buffer zone between the guard and the radiator. It's not the zip ties per say but installing the zip ties for the radiator guard would be a royal pain in the a$$ due to the clearance behind the radiator. All the other radiator guards are designed to have some gap between the radiator/oil cooler fins and the guard itself.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zx 10 i was agreeing with you not contradicting you . I would not go with any radiator guard thats arrached with zip ties as the plastic gets brittle and in time will break . Not all plastics dry out but zip tie plastic does.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Zx 10 i was agreeing with you not contradicting you . I would not go with any radiator guard thats arrached with zip ties as the plastic gets brittle and in time will break . Not all plastics dry out but zip tie plastic does.
You're not understanding my point. It's not about the fact zip ties are used. I have a Cox Racing guard installed on my 04 ZX-10R since buying it new. The guard has been held on to the radiator with the original zip ties.

What I'm faulting the Alpha guards on is that the guard is fastened on top of the actual fins of the radiator and oil cooler. None of the other guards do this.

Also I'm saying the factory guards are designed better than the aftermarket ones as the fins for the guard are angled to present a decent flat surface in the direction of any object that may be flying towards it. None od the metal guards have this feature. Either the object has to be larger than the mesh opening or it has to hit the metal mesh for the radiator and oil cooler to be protected.

Having mounting points in the stock plastics for the factory guards is a bonus.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts