BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
I would never operate my BMW's without radiator and oil cooler guards. Even BMW decided to OEM some of these products for the K67.

Reactions: Fosters

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haven't looked at after market. I have the oem guards. I like that the grid is angled. If you look up from the direction debris would come off the wheel it's virtually impossible for anything to directly hit the radiator and there's a gap behind it that's big enough for anything that could get through to drop down behind the guard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't looked at after market. I have the oem guards. I like that the grid is angled. If you look up from the direction debris would come off the wheel it's virtually impossible for anything to directly hit the radiator and there's a gap behind it that's big enough for anything that could get through to drop down behind the guard.
thanks ,im getting them

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
299 Posts
Be aware that the OEM guards have a service bulletin regarding ensuring spacers (OEM) are installed to keep the guards from rubbing against the radiator (might only be the oil rad but may be both). Your dealer will know so ask them to be sure to install the spacer when you install the guards.

·
Registered
BMW S1000XR 2022, Ducati Desert Sled 2018, Ducati MTS 950 2017(sold), Honda VFR 2007(sold)
148 Posts
OEM is cheaper too!
Had a friend who had a rock hit his GS radiator and we used JB Weld to get home. Now, I always install them prior to bike delivery.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Be aware that the service bulletin calls out for the use of push rivets....BMW calls them clips. If used as is, they'll smash/bend the hell out of the oil cooler fins where they're installed. I chose not to install the clips but instead used rubber bumpers placed on the edge of the oil cooler guard to provide the additional spacing. bennymx said he cut off the head end of the clips to install into his oil cooler. He said it didn't cause any issues with the fins.

If the rubber bumper method I used doesn't pan out, I'll do what bennymx did as I bought the clips. There are five of them which need to be installed. You might want to bring this up to the mechanic if you choose not to install the guards yourself. Also, the service bulletin is only for the oil cooler guard and not the radiator guard.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be aware that the service bulletin calls out for the use of push rivets....BMW calls them clips. If used as is, they'll smash/bend the hell out of the oil cooler fins where they're installed. I chose not to install the clips but instead used rubber bumpers placed on the edge of the oil cooler guard to provide the additional spacing. bennymx said he cut off the head end of the clips to install into his oil cooler. He said it didn't cause any issues with the fins.

If the rubber bumper method I used doesn't pan out, I'll do what bennymx did as I bought the clips. There are five of them which need to be installed. You might want to bring this up to the mechanic if you choose not to install the guards yourself. Also, the service bulletin is only for the oil cooler guard and not the radiator guard.
thanks very much, will make sure mechanics are aware

·
Registered
2022 s1000rr k67 sport
16 Posts
I think the OEM ones are plastic thats why I never wanted to buy the oem ones I'm looking for a set on mu bike bit hard to find anyone with stock these days

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Alpha racing sells a stainless steel unit for 105$ . Thats a good deal. I got an aluminum evo tech and it cost the same (stainless better) all good EXCEPT Chinese ali express 30$ units that do not fit , paint falls off corrodes ect ect .

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just looked at the Alpha Racing set on their website. From their pictures, you have to secure the guards directly on top of the radiator and oil cooler. It appears they're using zip ties or something similar as the pics don't have close ups of the fasteners. I also couldn't find any installation instructions.

With the other aftermarket sets, there are requirements to somehow secure the guards to something on the bike using zip ties.

The nice thing about the factory guards is how they're secured to the bike. The plastic shroud on both sides of the radiator/oil cooler have mounting points placed there intentionally for the factory guards to secure to. Clips are used to hold the guards in place with the plastic shroud. I prefer this mounting method so much more than what Alpha is requiring. It's sort of a toss up of which one is preferable: factory mounting or zip ties through tabs/brackets on the guard. I'm not all that crazy about how the Alpha guards are installed.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Zx10 i totally agree . Stainless is good tough material for a radiator guard but its pointless if/when the zip ties break and the radiator guard is dangling in the wind when your on the highway out in the middle of nowhere 50 miles from civilization lol. IMO your correct go with the good mounts .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts