BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,
I've got a '16 premium that I'm converting to a race-only bike. I've already swapped Vortex clipons onto the bike, but I don't like the OEM grips, nor the thickness of them with the heated grips.

I understand that aftermarket grips could be squeezed over them, but I'd rather have normal thickness grips.

My question is, what's the best way to eliminate the heated grips? The main problem that I see is that the entire grip unit on both sides are used for the controls mounting as well. I suppose I could order the non-heated OEM parts? Probably not the best solution. I would think there's a reasonable solution that has been found by now. Any input/advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can remove the (heated) grips from the controls—leaving just the switches.
Thanks for the reply!

Don't you need the grip portion to keep the controls mounted to the bars? I was under the impression that the end of the grips mounted to the bars and then the controls mounted to those.

Also - I suppose the throttle side would require a different throttle assembly (maybe just the tube?) in order to remove the heated grip and also be a normal (less thick) diameter.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Thanks Chris! That sounds simple enough.
It’s usually easier said than done haha! The throttle side is such a pain I just put a grip over it, now I have a large throttle :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts