BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is up on Alpha's website. Can anyone give more detail about what parameters are adjustable with this?

It mentions you can fine tune the DDC. Any more info on this?

How about wheelie control?

I really love the bike and the features, but not having control over the electronics is like going to the strip club with no dollars.

·
Vendor
2,507 Posts
This is up on Alpha's website. Can anyone give more detail about what parameters are adjustable with this?

I really love the bike and the features, but not having control over the electronics is like going to the strip club with no dollars.
Talked to my local dealer about this today. Not a good conversation in my opinion. I feel exactly the same way as you... Strip club and a pole job felt like I got.

Story is : The 2015 Race 3 kit is required for the 2015. Hardware is $800 and the unlock code or key, whatever he called it is another $750. Dealer offered me a discount to $1400

The kicker is the release paperwork that as to be signed. you are saying you will not ride on the street any longer. you are now on a race only bike. Wonder that would go over in a court battle if you kill someone on the bike and BMW shares that info somehow with the law suit.

Then of course you no longer have warranty on anything that software can adjust and that basically is the complete engine / transmission and DDC suspension.

That really sucks in my opinion.

here is the BMW spec video

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/com/en/equipment/hp_raceparts/hp_raceparts_power_kit.html&prm_action=&notrack=1

·
Registered
326 Posts

not sure about calibration kit 3 but we have race bikes with calibration kit 2 and you can adjust fuel map, ignition map, engine braking, traction control, launch control and the DDC. all these adjustments are only useful on a racetrack IMO. there is no wheelie control.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Talked to my local dealer about this today. Not a good conversation in my opinion. I feel exactly the same way as you... Strip club and a pole job felt like I got.

Story is : The 2015 Race 3 kit is required for the 2015. Hardware is $800 and the unlock code or key, whatever he called it is another $750. Dealer offered me a discount to $1400

The kicker is the release paperwork that as to be signed. you are saying you will not ride on the street any longer. you are now on a race only bike. Wonder that would go over in a court battle if you kill someone on the bike and BMW shares that info somehow with the law suit.

Then of course you no longer have warranty on anything that software can adjust and that basically is the complete engine / transmission and DDC suspension.

That really sucks in my opinion.

here is the BMW spec video

BMW Motorrad International
from bmw point though if they sell you a tool that can essentially disable all of the safety features and do a serious amount of damage to the bike and engine in the wrong hands then they would be liable, and if the bike has passed tests to get compliance for safe use on your roads and they allow you to bypass this then that would be illegal I think.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems a bit extreme on BMW's part. I can see not wanting to warrantee the engine, but not riding it on the street? just plain stupid. Many people use their bikes for both street and track, myself included. Best part about the sophisticated electronics is the ability to switch between street manners, and track manners with the push of a button.

not sure about calibration kit 3 but we have race bikes with calibration kit 2 and you can adjust fuel map, ignition map, engine braking, traction control, launch control and the DDC. all these adjustments are only useful on a racetrack IMO. there is no wheelie control.
Can you tell me what parameters can be adjusted on the DDC beyond the compression and rebound which is already accessible? Based on the above I doubt I will be getting the kit but I'm still curious.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
You can kill yourself with the kit electronics no problem, and:

1) They void the warranty because they are inflexible people and somehow believe this makes sense.

2) They make you sign a waiver saying it can't go on the streets because the government doesn't allow them to provide you with non EPA compliant software and then take it on public roads.

With the amount of stock engines I've seen go bad due to manufacturing flukes or whatever, I'd be terrified to void my warranty just to play with the settings.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Can you tell me what parameters can be adjusted on the DDC beyond the compression and rebound which is already accessible? Based on the above I doubt I will be getting the kit but I'm still curious.
DDC with RCK2, don't have config file for 3:
- Assign race1, race2, dynamic and track to mode 1-4 (=rain, sport, race, slick)
- Tuning factors for comp/reb from -100, 0, +100 by 1
- define front/rear tyre radius incl. quad function for tyre roll angle correction front/rear (once you change from K3 190/55, SP200/55)
- define comp/reb front/rear per track segment
- enable/disable DDC fork/shock

·
Vendor
2,507 Posts
it has taken me a hour, but I finally found the golden egg answer.... I have seen too many people associate Race 1 and Race 2 with what is called Race 3 Kit, but this is completely wrong.

BMW HP Race Calibration Kit 3
Part number : 77 53 8 546 642

is a complete rework for the 2015 and what should be beyond, because the ECU is completely all new. It is the new microprocessor Bosch ECU controller.

http://www.bmw-race-camp.com/HPRaceCalibrationTool.pdf

In a nut shell :

Details
The HP Race Calibration Kit can be used to customise the following parameters of the engine management system and DTC (see the user guide for details):
Fuel injection quantity and ignition timing:
Allowing for track-specific ambient conditions such as relative humidity.
Custom adaptations to allow for modified powertrain components such as exhaust system, air intake ducting and camshafts.
Custom adjustment of response in accordance with rider preferences and track profile (engine power and power development).
Traction control:
Adjustment of tyre parameters such as circumference, shape and slip to customise the response of the DTC system (control timing/rate).
Mode-dependent definition of an angle of heel below which traction control is deactivated to permit wheelies.
Total of 9 characteristic maps for adjustment.
Custom settings possible for each individual riding mode (Rain, Sport, Race and Slick). Shift response of the HP shift assistant (OE/OA):
Adjustment of intervention speed (torque build-up after gearshift). Speed limiter for the pit lane:
Maximum engine rpm for 1st gear with starter button pressed. Delete adaptation values:
Restore adaptive parameters of the engine management system to the default settings. Adaptation values are settings that the engine management system "learns" automatically to allow for certain motorcycle components such as the throttle-valve assembly and the exhaust system. If the components in question are changed the adaptation values have to be deleted so that the ECU of the engine management system can learn the new values for the modified or new components.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
The kit ECU software appears to be about 90-95% identical to the years before it.

But probably a lot better at what it does.

Still missing: red line adjustment, injector timing. Both are annoying as hell.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's easy enough to kill yourself on a stock bike. This really bums me out, all these amazing features and I can't touch em. There should be another kit that would allow for the segment tuning, and other DDC parameters like the other sport bikes on the market that would not void the warrantee and render the bike illegal on the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it has taken me a hour, but I finally found the golden egg answer.... I have seen too many people associate Race 1 and Race 2 with what is called Race 3 Kit, but this is completely wrong.

BMW HP Race Calibration Kit 3

Part number : 77 53 8 546 642

is a complete rework for the 2015 and what should be beyond, because the ECU is completely all new. It is the new microprocessor Bosch ECU controller.

http://www.bmw-race-camp.com/HPRaceCalibrationTool.pdf

In a nut shell :

Details

The HP Race Calibration Kit can be used to customise the following parameters of the engine management system and DTC (see the user guide for details):

Fuel injection quantity and ignition timing:

Allowing for track-specific ambient conditions such as relative humidity.

Custom adaptations to allow for modified powertrain components such as exhaust system, air intake ducting and camshafts.

Custom adjustment of response in accordance with rider preferences and track profile (engine power and power development).

Traction control:

Adjustment of tyre parameters such as circumference, shape and slip to customise the response of the DTC system (control timing/rate).

Mode-dependent definition of an angle of heel below which traction control is deactivated to permit wheelies.

Total of 9 characteristic maps for adjustment.

Custom settings possible for each individual riding mode (Rain, Sport, Race and Slick). Shift response of the HP shift assistant (OE/OA):

Adjustment of intervention speed (torque build-up after gearshift). Speed limiter for the pit lane:

Maximum engine rpm for 1st gear with starter button pressed. Delete adaptation values:

Restore adaptive parameters of the engine management system to the default settings. Adaptation values are settings that the engine management system "learns" automatically to allow for certain motorcycle components such as the throttle-valve assembly and the exhaust system. If the components in question are changed the adaptation values have to be deleted so that the ECU of the engine management system can learn the new values for the modified or new components.

This PDF file you have the link for is actually the RCK 2 not the RCK 3. The 3 looks much different.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vendor
2,507 Posts
With the RCK 3 being so 2015.. It seems it is hard to find PDF's and other info on the configuration and available maps on the programming.

I really don't intend to give up my warranty at this time until I hit at least 8000 miles and at the rate of riding vs raining here in North Texas these days, that will be about 2016 and then I might want the new 16 if it has 'slide control' ..

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
So all you need is the RCK3 and unlock code and you are good to go right?
You need the unlock code for your ECU to make it to a raceECU and then the RCK3 (software + hardware) and the RCK3 unlock code - 3 items.

Just to make it clear, pre 2015 models like the HP4 you actually get a piece of hardware for your money in form of a second ECU called raceECU, then you need the unlock code for this and on top you need the RCK2 (software + hardware) and the RCK2 unlock code - 4 items.

And to be 100% clear, European S1000RR versions actually don't need a race ECU to use the RCK2/3 software, US versions DO need it!!!!!

Since the 2015 BMW version has a CAN bus and a LIN bus system, the hardware changed a bit. Before there is only a CAN bus.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You need the unlock code for your ECU to make it to a raceECU and then the RCK3 (software + hardware) and the RCK3 unlock code - 3 items.

Just to make it clear, pre 2015 models like the HP4 you actually get a piece of hardware for your money in form of a second ECU called raceECU, then you need the unlock code for this and on top you need the RCK2 (software + hardware) and the RCK2 unlock code - 4 items.

And to be 100% clear, European S1000RR versions actually don't need a race ECU to use the RCK2/3 software, US versions DO need it!!!!!

Since the 2015 BMW version has a CAN bus and a LIN bus system, the hardware changed a bit. Before there is only a CAN bus.
Well crap, the BMW here told me I just needed the RCK 3 and the unlock code

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Well crap, the BMW here told me I just needed the RCK 3 and the unlock code
So that would be new to me too that you can use the RCK3 without raceECU - hopefully I'm wrong 0:)

Well, if they are telling you this, go there and let them do. Here in New Zealand they don't even get the RCK3 activated on a race ECU since they don't know how to do it. My friend asked alpha Racing/Germany where he purchased RCK3 and all codes how to do it :nerd:

That's for RCK2 and has to do with your DOT regulations or so:
US vehicles and vehicles with option code 0178 "Control unit Asia": Retrofit possible only in combination with the HP Race Power Kit.
BMW Motorrad Norge

·
Registered
166 Posts
So that would be new to me too that you can use the RCK3 without raceECU - hopefully I'm wrong 0:)

Well, if they are telling you this, go there and let them do. Here in New Zealand they don't even get the RCK3 activated on a race ECU since they don't know how to do it. My friend asked alpha Racing/Germany where he purchased RCK3 and all codes how to do it :nerd:

That's for RCK2 and has to do with your DOT regulations or so:
US vehicles and vehicles with option code 0178 "Control unit Asia": Retrofit possible only in combination with the HP Race Power Kit.
BMW Motorrad Norge
He didn't even know what the Kit was at first, I said crap cause I wasn't sure he knew what he was talking about. I wanted to be sure before I bought it that's why I asked here. I appreciate you telling me so now I can cough up some more money lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just found out how to change your gearing in the ecu using the rck3. I am in the middle of a 520 conversion and am also changing my gearing. I also have other sprockets to adjust gearing for other tracks, but wanted the ecu to know the final gearing so I contacted hp race support again as I couldn't figure out where/how to enter the final gear ration.

They sent me a spreadsheet to compute the new ratios for the new gearing using stock transmission and the new final gear ratio. I'll actually enter the new ratio for each gear, and they also sent another spreadsheet to change the rpm limit for the pit limiter.

Pretty cool, now I just have to figure out one last chart in the rck3, think I might wait to bug them again next month.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts