BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh that was a $200 lowside lol
The $20,000 crash on the ‘21 was due to a faulty Dunlop at road a in may. I have a clip of it on my phone but I don’t think I can upload that here.
That's the definition of a yard sale.

Did you lose the front or the rear? I just switched to Dunlops from Pirellis. They suck in the cold, but last way longer when it's warm.
How did you find out it was a faulty tire? Did Dunlop examine and verify? I hope they helped cover the costs.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yikes! Glad you're ok! Lose it when the tires got unweighted at the crest?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It was a legit bad tire. it's a known issue. Several people have gotten them; a few have crashed on them. Most know about it and pull in as soon as they realize. I'd never heard of it at that point, and was trying to get a better qualifying time.
It had enough rear grip to wheelie up the hill out of 10b but yes right at the crest the rear spun up as if it was 30* out. I have all the alpha stuff and so we looked at the data. I did nothing abnormal leading up to the crash other than being 15-20 seconds off the pace trying to A. scrub it in, B. sort out in my head why it had no traction.

Dunlop offered to buyback and "test" the tire. ha.ha.... I wanted to sue them, and so did not give up the tire to them. I still have it.. but no testers will test it due to my motive and no lawyers will take the case due to no exorbitant medical costs.

you couldn't pay me to run dunlop again. so no more MA for me.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It was a legit bad tire. it's a known issue. Several people have gotten them; a few have crashed on them. Most know about it and pull in as soon as they realize. I'd never heard of it at that point, and was trying to get a better qualifying time.
It had enough rear grip to wheelie up the hill out of 10b but yes right at the crest the rear spun up as if it was 30* out. I have all the alpha stuff and so we looked at the data. I did nothing abnormal leading up to the crash other than being 15-20 seconds off the pace trying to A. scrub it in, B. sort out in my head why it had no traction.

Dunlop offered to buyback and "test" the tire. ha.ha.... I wanted to sue them, and so did not give up the tire to them. I still have it.. but no testers will test it due to my motive and no lawyers will take the case due to no exorbitant medical costs.

you couldn't pay me to run dunlop again. so no more MA for me.
Wow, that sux! Glad you're ok, too bad about the bike though. Damn, also sux that Dunflop won't do you right, but not surprising.:mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
sure does. less than 300 ridden miles.

Broken main frame
subframe
upper bracket
Akra ti exhaust incl some header damage
tank
all bodywork except lower
rear wheel
right rearset
right clipon
brake guard
alpha ignition switch (80 EURO!)
GB frame protector (did it's job)
Forks? not sure yet..need to rebuild - front wheel is straight so it's promising.
Brand new (<300 mi) Corsair X, Taichi suit and gloves, Astar boots..

no less than $17k
I don't ride at 100%... which is why I've never A. had a highside (close many times) or a lowside that costs more than 2000 to come back from.
Before the $200 lowside in 18, my last crash was in 2011, which was also during a last lap battle at Fontana.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Oooooooh slicks.....I only ask because I'm running Q3+s on my honda track bike but then again, I don't think I'm riding at your level lol. Glad you're OK man, that looked like a nasty spill and you looked like you were hurting after.
And I JUST realized it was a MotoAmerica Race, pro level...🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR M
28 Posts
K46

Hopefully be there soon on the 67.. Dunlop decided I had to wait... :(
Jesus you guys are flying lol.. wow...

Great vid, glad you're ok!

*Just watched the Road A vid.. that's a whole higher level than my puny amateur night race past. What a nightmare! Sorry that happened, glad you walked away.

Mike

·
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
0129 compound, the softer of the two compounds available to us that weekend.
I'm surprised Dunlop provided 0129 in May, 0455 makes more sense, 0129 requires ambient temp of 80d+.
0097 was sliding like crazy at CMP, Barber, VIR in morning. So I know it's tire not track.
Well, now you got Dunlop faulty in my head, I was doing fine on them. Morning sessions not much grip, only thing I dislike about them.

What tires are you planning to run? Since we are riding same tracks, let me know if you want to do bulk tire order to get huge discounts. I'm open to any tire brand that has a rear 60 greater height. As far as I know only Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzeler have that profile in US.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm surprised Dunlop provided 0129 in May, 0455 makes more sense, 0129 requires ambient temp of 80d+.
0097 was sliding like crazy at CMP, Barber, VIR in morning. So I know it's tire not track.
Well, now you got Dunlop faulty in my head, I was doing fine on them. Morning sessions not much grip, only thing I dislike about them.

What tires are you planning to run? Since we are riding same tracks, let me know if you want to do bulk tire order to get huge discounts. I'm open to any tire brand that has a rear 60 greater height. As far as I know only Pirelli, Dunlop, Metzeler have that profile in US.
0097 and 0129 were the only rears available. Both worked fine, but most guys were qualifying on 0129 and for the races, probably split but I was planning to use 0097.

I'm only running Pirelli. It's really all I've ever run. I work with James Bock and he does right by me. Only reason I was on Dumflops is MA - spec tire. Their faulty tires are few and far between but with that much volume, someone's gonna get one about every weekend. In fact another guy on a BMW got one three weeks later at VIR and highsided exiting 7. My advice: If it doesn't feel right DON'T push it. Come in and demand another tire. You'll feel it immediately. I can't compare it to anything because I've never felt anything like it... In the heat of the moment, in my head my thoughts were "This is effin MA, how can this tire be bad...??" "There's 6 minutes left in Qualifying" "**** there goes Gilbert time to get a tow" Boom ..you can see him at the beginning of the clip.

·
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm only running Pirelli. It's really all I've ever run. I work with James Bock and he does right by me.
I had worked with James before, but his pricing was not great. Other Pirelli vendors were more competitive especially on 10-20 tires. I also know few of my friends that are in WERA expert moved to Dunlop simply because they were not getting decent tire deals if they were not on the podium every race.

The trick with Dunlops in morning sessions is that they take longer to warm up, so I have to wait for 3 laps (even with warmers set to 200f) to find good grip. Pirelli has great grip in cold, but last only about half as Dunlops. Also, Pirelli grip drops drastically past 50% use, where Dunlops drop gradually. I like Continental slicks the most as they are in between Dunlop & Pirelli but no track side vendors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had worked with James before, but his pricing was not great. Other Pirelli vendors were more competitive especially on 10-20 tires. I also know few of my friends that are in WERA expert moved to Dunlop simply because they were not getting decent tire deals if they were not on the podium every race.

The trick with Dunlops in morning sessions is that they take longer to warm up, so I have to wait for 3 laps (even with warmers set to 200f) to find good grip. Pirelli has great grip in cold, but last only about half as Dunlops. Also, Pirelli grip drops drastically past 50% use, where Dunlops drop gradually. I like Continental slicks the most as they are in between Dunlop & Pirelli but no track side vendors.
Gotta get on that podium! :ROFLMAO: I've never tried the Conti's...would have to be a free test set lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts