BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this issue start to crop up intermittently, now it's almost constant.

Under WOT and nearing redline (anywhere above 12k-ish RPM), the QS refuses to shift from 2nd to 3rd 95% of the time and 3rd to 4th 75% of the time. I did back to back tests to make sure I wasn't lazy shifting. The QS will cut ignition timing (RPMs drop slightly / stop increasing, which also causes me to launch forward over the tank), but the shift will not complete.

Under "typical" riding conditions, such as light to medium throttle or almost WOT but at lower RPM, the QS works flawlessly.

Any insight? I haven't tried a relearn since I don't have access to a GS911. Anyone in the Bay Area (CA) have one that I could use? Will make it worth your while :).

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
what year and is the ECU flashed?

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
When is the last time you were at dealer for an update on the ECU? The code is alot better on the QS since mid 2021. If you been there since June 21, then likely not the issue.

The next is the adaptation for the QS and the twist throttle both.

You have the older style twist throttle and there is an issue of the internal parts rubbing and causing some glitches and it will also cause QS issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When is the last time you were at dealer for an update on the ECU? The code is alot better on the QS since mid 2021. If you been there since June 21, then likely not the issue.

The next is the adaptation for the QS and the twist throttle both.

You have the older style twist throttle and there is an issue of the internal parts rubbing and causing some glitches and it will also cause QS issues.
I haven't been to the dealer since I bought the bike in May of this year. I believe the last time it went in was in March 2021 for the caliper recall and break in service.

My local dealers are booked until this Saturday, which is when I have a track day at Thunderhill. If I can get my hands on a GS911 locally before then, would it still be worth relearning the adaptations for the QS and twist throttle without installing the ECU update?

I do have access to ISTA, but from what I've seen it can't be used on Motorrad (please correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
sure, the stand alone ISTA can be used on Motorrad if the correct load is there. You have to go into settings and change from whatever car it is set to and change to Motorrad.

I highly suggest the GS911 if you get to that. Alot easier to use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sure, the stand alone ISTA can be used on Motorrad if the correct load is there. You have to go into settings and change from whatever car it is set to and change to Motorrad.

I highly suggest the GS911 if you get to that. Alot easier to use.
If I can't find one before Saturday, I'll try with ISTA. Is ENET a usable protocol for connection with Motorrad? That's the only cable I have.

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
If I can't find one before Saturday, I'll try with ISTA. Is ENET a usable protocol for connection with Motorrad? That's the only cable I have.
I dont know. I dont use ENET for this. Only ICOM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts