21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have tried it. Works great.
Upshift is through OEM electronics so it's as fancy a QS as those from Cordona, MCT Lohmann etc, but it's plug and play, basically a 10min install and you're up and running.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Dela, I don't know how you got it installed so fast, unless you had your bike torn down.

I just bought the IRC blipper and I'm working through the install process. I actually got the ignition harness and throttle position sensor harnesses installed without taking off the airbox - but man that was tough.

Glad to hear it works so well. I looked a Pro-Shift, but bought the IRC unit in the end. I think the IRC unit uses a more advanced algorithm because the IRC unit knows RPM, gear position and shift rod pressure. The integration with the OEM upshift is a big plus for me. Cost is less that the Pro-Shift unit as well and you don't have to figure out how to attach that pro-Shift "magic eye". The IRC blipper also won't blip from first to neutral the way the Pro-Shift blipper does.

There are some negatives with the IRC unit in opinion thoiugh: Harnessing is sloppy, harness lengths could be better optimized and the plug-and-play connectors have too short a wire length between them. Having two black boxes in the harnessing is a hassle and I think the control unit could have been packaged better. Finally, the IRC instruction sheet is pretty bad, but they do a decent job of answering questions.

Once I get the install finished and have a chance to ride with it, I plan to post details on the install (instructions, lots of pictures pictures, etc...)

Note that my comments above on the install are not from the perspective of a full race bike install, but a street bike install. Given that IRC seems to have made the blipper for racing, I guess I can forgive them if the unit is hard to install on a street bike.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dela, I don't know how you got it installed so fast, unless you had your bike torn down.

I just bought the IRC blipper and I'm working through the install process. I actually got the ignition harness and throttle position sensor harnesses installed without taking off the airbox - but man that was tough.

Glad to hear it works so well. I looked a Pro-Shift, but bought the IRC unit in the end. I think the IRC unit uses a more advanced algorithm because the IRC unit knows RPM, gear position and shift rod pressure. The integration with the OEM upshift is a big plus for me. Cost is less that the Pro-Shift unit as well and you don't have to figure out how to attach that pro-Shift "magic eye". The IRC blipper also won't blip from first to neutral the way the Pro-Shift blipper does.

There are some negatives with the IRC unit in opinion thoiugh: Harnessing is sloppy, harness lengths could be better optimized and the plug-and-play connectors have too short a wire length between them. Having two black boxes in the harnessing is a hassle and I think the control unit could have been packaged better. Finally, the IRC instruction sheet is pretty bad, but they do a decent job of answering questions.

Once I get the install finished and have a chance to ride with it, I plan to post details on the install (instructions, lots of pictures pictures, etc...)

Note that my comments above on the install are not from the perspective of a full race bike install, but a street bike install. Given that IRC seems to have made the blipper for racing, I guess I can forgive them if the unit is hard to install on a street bike.
I have a track bike, not a street bike, and when you have removed everything on the bike 25 times, you know where everything goes and which bolts goes where. I don't even sort my bolts or fasteners anymore, they go to the same tray, since everything is so familiar.

The harness is not 'tailored' as good as many of the other systems are but functionality is good. Having two boxes, yeah, I don't get that either. They just need to find some space to be placed.
BUT, I've seen several bikes on the dyno with the system, and I can tell you it works great. The exact same system is available for R1 and R6 as well.... I am both IRC, Alpha Racing and Pro-Shift dealer, so I have a little knowledge of all the products, but the Alpha Blipper is on my bike now, since it's a nicer piece of kit once installed. Functionality is more or less the same.

My bike with a few pictures: http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-r-xr-hp4-pictures/87033-2012-track-rocket-7.html

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I have a track bike, not a street bike, and when you have removed everything on the bike 25 times, you know where everything goes and which bolts goes where. I don't even sort my bolts or fasteners anymore, they go to the same tray, since everything is so familiar.

The harness is not 'tailored' as good as many of the other systems are but functionality is good. Having two boxes, yeah, I don't get that either. They just need to find some space to be placed.
BUT, I've seen several bikes on the dyno with the system, and I can tell you it works great. The exact same system is available for R1 and R6 as well.... I am both IRC, Alpha Racing and Pro-Shift dealer, so I have a little knowledge of all the products, but the Alpha Blipper is on my bike now, since it's a nicer piece of kit once installed. Functionality is more or less the same.

My bike with a few pictures: http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-r-xr-hp4-pictures/87033-2012-track-rocket-7.html
Lastly came to know that all 3 blippers works. Tell which one is easiest to install and the price of all each. IRC, Alpha Racing and Pro-Shift

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lastly came to know that all 3 blippers works. Tell which one is easiest to install and the price of all each. IRC, Alpha Racing and Pro-Shift
1250€ proshift (Downshift only)
900€ Alpha-Racing
750€ IRC
(All including VAT)

Pro-shift requires soldering and an understanding of install instructions. Lynda and Roy at Proshift are great at helping though. Above pricing is only the 'bump and blip' downshifter though.

IRC and Alpha are both PnP. IRC has less connections so are easier to install. Alpha has a more 'tailored for S1000RR' design, no doubt.

Up/down shift from proshift called 'closed loop bump and blip' is 2500€ incl VAT.

Please notice that IRC/Alpha systems are without ignition cut since they are using OEM upshifting connection.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
In my opinion the big advantage of the ProShift system is that it blipps regardless if you pull the clutch or not so you really don't need to blip during downshifts using the clutch :smile2:

Especailly in low rpm range I'm not changing gears without clutch so it's a more smooth transition.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
1250€ proshift (Downshift only)
900€ Alpha-Racing
750€ IRC
(All including VAT)

Pro-shift requires soldering and an understanding of install instructions. Lynda and Roy at Proshift are great at helping though. Above pricing is only the 'bump and blip' downshifter though.

IRC and Alpha are both PnP. IRC has less connections so are easier to install. Alpha has a more 'tailored for S1000RR' design, no doubt.

Up/down shift from proshift called 'closed loop bump and blip' is 2500€ incl VAT.

Please notice that IRC/Alpha systems are without ignition cut since they are using OEM upshifting connection.
We have to give voltage readings to Pro shift guys and if we put quick throttle after installing pro shift then it wont work. The same thing happens with Alpha / IRC ?

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
In my opinion the big advantage of the ProShift system is that it blipps regardless if you pull the clutch or not so you really don't need to blip during downshifts using the clutch
That is indeed a significant advantage. I would enjoy trying a clutched downshift with an auto blipper.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
We have to give voltage readings to Pro shift guys and if we put quick throttle after installing pro shift then it wont work. The same thing happens with Alpha / IRC ?
I bought the IRC blipper and the instructions make no mention of having to measure TPS voltages. Here's why I think the IRC unit does not need the measurement:

- It plugs into one of the plug coils so it knows RPM
- It knows throttle position

so it knows the relationship between TPS sensor voltage and RPM. I think it's running closed loop.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I bought the IRC blipper and the instructions make no mention of having to measure TPS voltages. Here's why I think the IRC unit does not need the measurement:

- It plugs into one of the plug coils so it knows RPM
- It knows throttle position

so it knows the relationship between TPS sensor voltage and RPM. I think it's running closed loop.
Did you installed it? How it works?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Hello guys, I emailed Lynda at Pro-shift and was told if you have a US spec HP4 their system causes error codes to pop up. So as of right now it can't be used, but they are working on it and will inform me when they have a solution.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Only for pro-shift. The others are not soldered in on the butterfly signal itself, but on the throttle body sensor.
Andy has the Pro-shift and has elaborated a bit on advantage from his point of view.
Alpha and IRC are plug and pluy, the former being a better spec'ed system for the install on the BMW. Both systems make use of OEM electronics, and therefore no connection to the coils as such. (Alpha has one connection to the first cylinder coil, but only to know the ignition sequence, not to cut ignition.)

I'm leaving for Slovakiaring tomorrow and will put the Alpha shifter through its paces down there!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
pro shift

Hi Lads I have the pro shift fitted to my HP4 and it works great the upshifts are quick, it has a wet mode and a dry mode (depending how smooth you want it to change) but the downshift is very smooth and set above 4000 rpm (as you would not want to downshift/blip below 4000 rpm) had it on dyno to set it up properly and on the road its great, but more miles will tell me more about it as the weather here is just getting better, Also i going to the TT (isle of man) so i need it to work 100% all the time, (i just a spectator but you ride the circuit any time the racing is not on)
kev (uk)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi Lads I have the pro shift fitted to my HP4 and it works great the upshifts are quick, it has a wet mode and a dry mode (depending how smooth you want it to change) but the downshift is very smooth and set above 4000 rpm (as you would not want to downshift/blip below 4000 rpm) had it on dyno to set it up properly and on the road its great, but more miles will tell me more about it as the weather here is just getting better, Also i going to the TT (isle of man) so i need it to work 100% all the time, (i just a spectator but you ride the circuit any time the racing is not on)
kev (uk)
Yeah we know, you started this thread.
Must be getting royalties from proshift.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
The ProShift auto blipper is 800GBP, the QS+auto blipper 1700GBP - should be $1200 or $2500 accordingly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
quickshift / blipper

Yeah we know, you started this thread.
Must be getting royalties from proshift.
yes i know i put post on a while ago but i was just updating it as i could not get out on bike because of the weather, just keeping yous informed, :smile2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yes, I too am going to the TT. Can't wait.
where you from mate ?,
i love it over there the atmosphere is fantastic, the racing is something else you will never experience unless you are standing there when they come past THAT CLOSE :smile2:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts