BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Quick shift issues possibly related to Brentune stage 1?

10K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  Geminye 
#1 ·
I have a 2021 S1000RR WITH 1600 miles, I'm the first owner and mechanically the bike is flawless. I installed Brentune stage 1 tune last week and immediately noticed that quick shifting from 2nd to 1st it often just falls into neutral. This happens only from 2 to 1. Anyone have any ideas? Brentune recommended adjusting the clutch cable but not sure how that ties into the quick shifter, if at all. Any advice you guys might have would be . Previous to the tune there were absolutely no issues using the quick shifter or the clutch lever. I also never ever have trouble finding neutral with the lever.

I 100% am not ruling out that it could be coincidence and that there's an actual issue with the quick shifter but instantly riding the bike as soon as it was tuned it presented this issue. I'd say it happens 2 out of every 5 times I quick shift from 2 to 1 and has never done that before.

he Also recommended resetting adaptations, any advice you guys can give this newbie would be greatly appreciated. 😎

#2 ·
The adaptation reset is about the best advise you got from them.

The advise I would give you is put the stock ECU file back in the bike, log some miles, take notice to issues or not. If not, get a new tune. Maybe mine?

Reactions: bennymx
#6 ·
Sorry guy.. you can have .125 as normal in the cable play, or at the excess of .250 and it makes no difference to the QS method.

Reactions: bennymx
#5 ·
I'd have to take it to a dealer to have that done I don't have access to a gs911, Bren is local to me but are basically refusing to reset adaptations for me. Told me if I didn't adjust the clutch cable that tbey just wanted to put the stock shifter file back. I'm a little frustrated I'll see if I can make any headway with them.

#8 ·
That came from Brentune themselves. They sent me a link on adjusting the cable, even after I explained my situation thoroughly. When I questioned how they were related their only response was "if you didn't make the adjustment in the video I'm just gonna revert the shifter back to stock. I'm sure they're smart guys but they legit are not listening to what my issue is. Extremely disappointed that that's what $900 got me.

#9 ·
The only time I shift from 2nd to 1st is when I'm coming to a stop at a light, and I always pull in the clutch lever and shift since I know I'll be coming to a stop and holding until the light changes. I've been riding too long on bikes with no QS so this comes naturally for me. I just never go to 1st gear for any reason other than that so for me this wouldn't be an issue and I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.
I get that you paid $900 and you should not have this problem. So the options as stated above are to re-tune back to stock, go to a dealer, argue with Brentune some more, or live with it?

Just a thought.

#10 ·
The only time I shift from 2nd to 1st is when I'm coming to a stop at a light, and I always pull in the clutch lever and shift since I know I'll be coming to a stop and holding until the light changes. I've been riding too long on bikes with no QS so this comes naturally for me. I just never go to 1st gear for any reason other than that so for me this wouldn't be an issue and I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.
I get that you paid $900 and you should not have this problem. So the options as stated above are to re-tune back to stock, go to a dealer, argue with Brentune some more, or live with it?

Just a thought.
Yeah I completely agree with that, I'm just trying to see if it can be resolved. They're telling me the clutch cable DOES IN FACT relate directly to the quick shifter operation even though it's not being pulled in. Let's see if I can get it resolved. Everything else about the tune is perfect.

#11 ·
You paid full price and got less than you bargained for which sucks. You have essentially a brand new bike that should be working perfectly and it appears that Brentune has chipped away at that perfection, I'd be upset too. Well, post an update. Maybe do what they say, follow their instructions and adjust the clutch a little (or say that you did unless they ask for proof), then go back to them and say "ok, I did what you said, I still have the same problem, now fix it".
Or re-tune back to stock, see if the QS is working ok, then switch back to the Brentune and test the QS again and get back to them with the results and see what they say. If you can definitely connect the QS problem to the tune, then it's on them to correct or issue a refund.

#12 ·
My 22 has 700ish miles on it. Bren stage 1. Issues i've encountered so far have been bucking hard on downshifts using QS. Throttle remaining open for a few milliseconds after shut. loss of most engine braking. going to run it some more to be sure nothing straightens itself out and contact BTmoto for an adjustment.

#29 · (Edited)
My 22 has 700ish miles on it. Bren stage 1. loss of most engine braking. going to run it some more to be sure nothing straightens itself out and contact BTmoto for an adjustment.
Loss of engine brake has been my complaint. It doesnt matter what setting you select, it changes nothing!
Ive been back and forth with them and got no where. Now Im not big on engine braking and always had it set to lowest setting, but now putting it on the highest setting nets you 0! Other people have complained about the loss of engine brake too with the tune.
I think some dont even realize they lost the engine braking

#16 ·
The problem is there's only a few of them and tbey have to sort through thousands of emails a day. So not everything gets the attention it needs or read thoroughly. They seem to think the cable adjustment is related so I'm gonna try it. I know they're smart I'm just looking to educate myself also if they won't answer questions they think I should already know the answer to. But............ the tune is awesome! No throttle restrictions make it a completely different bike, tne cold start sounds superfluous and aside from my 2 to 1 issue. Tne quick shifter feels better all around in every other gear. Don't let my issue (that may not even be them) sway you.

#14 ·
Ok guys. Its not the clutch cable itself that effects the QS.

Come on, we have discussed this so many times about the K46. The micro switch is really what is to be considered and looked at. The clutch LEVER needs to be extended fully, which why BT is really trying to say is that the cable adjustment needs to be that when at rest position, the micro switch needs to be closed ( engaged ) . Notice there is 2 metal switch bars. One is for cruise control, the other is for the QS operation.

Remember after market clutch levers are a big issue in this area of the micro switch. Has nothing to do with the cable and it adjustment, but, you need to make sure the contacts on the micro switch are not bent and closing completely at rest.

GS911 will verify this as well.

Now if you say you have a stock clutch lever, then is very unlikely again that is the area of your QS issue.

#15 ·
Ok guys. Its not the clutch cable itself that effects the QS.

Come on, we have discussed this so many times about the K46. The micro switch is really what is to be considered and looked at. The clutch LEVER needs to be extended fully, which why BT is really trying to say is that the cable adjustment needs to be that when at rest position, the micro switch needs to be closed ( engaged ) . Notice there is 2 metal switch bars. One is for cruise control, the other is for the QS operation.

Remember after market clutch levers are a big issue in this area of the micro switch. Has nothing to do with the cable and it adjustment, but, you need to make sure the contacts on the micro switch are not bent and closing completely at rest.

GS911 will verify this as well.

Now if you say you have a stock clutch lever, then is very unlikely again that is the area of your QS issue.
All stock

#17 ·
Have you tried to go back to stock to test? I have 22 around 1700 miles and noticed around 1600 QS is feeling a bit different but this bike is temperamental with the weather and its been 110 with the heat index so who knows. I pull the clutch for first.

I know the tune transforms the bike but man how I wish I could run headers and not have cold start issues or have to worry about a tune or warranty. I am at the point of waiting for my headers to be installed (next few weeks ideally) and getting an idea of how rough\bad the start is before grabbing the tune.

Why did Bren's footprint here catch a ban?

#18 ·
Have you tried to go back to stock to test? I have 22 around 1700 miles and noticed around 1600 QS is feeling a bit different but this bike is temperamental with the weather and its been 110 with the heat index so who knows. I pull the clutch for first.

I know the tune transforms the bike but man how I wish I could run headers and not have cold start issues or have to worry about a tune or warranty. I am at the point of waiting for my headers to be installed (next few weeks ideally) and getting an idea of how rough\bad the start is before grabbing the tune.

I've been running Akra headers on my '22 for some time without a tune. The engine runs a bit rough on initial cold start but it's not bad and it settles out pretty quickly. I'm sitting on the side lines watching all the various threads about the tunes available to us. I'm also considering having my bike flashed with the optional BMW factory tune which boosts midrange torque but at the expense of top end HP. I got to try this tune out at VIR on CSS' bikes.

#20 ·

I have a full Akra titanium exhaust, without the tune cold start is shitty. With the tune it starts immediately and purrs like a kitten.

#26 · (Edited)
APPROVED!! BT on a new 2022 S 1000 RR.
I have the 22 made in April 2022. BT stage 1 installed.
The bike feels amazing! Acceleration is out of this world; I can hear every part of the engine!
You'll be amazed at how fast the quickshifter works now.
There is something very special about what BT has done!
All the support and guidance they have provided me have been greatly appreciated.

Nice shot from my old R1. The new BMW will be at the track in a couple of weeks :)
Tire Wheel Helmet Sports gear Vehicle

#34 ·
When riding in backcountry roads or on a track, you will learn how to use your brakes before turning in the right way if you don't use engine braking. It flows better through corners. However, this is my personal preference.
I may make a few adjustments to the Pro 1 set-up this morning, and I'll report on whether the engine break has been resolved.

#36 ·
On my 2020 I have the Bren Stage 1. Fixed cold start that was bad (), gave me all the midrange without giving up the top end and did not effect engine braking. The only issue, which is intermittent, is down shifting at high RPM in Dynamic mode the rev match overshoots and "Pushes" the bike in the next gear. I have not had that in the race pro modes on track at all.

#41 ·
I had/have the same issue before/after BT Stage 1 on my 2020 K67 with full Akra. I posted here but only suggestion was to be firmer and press harder when down shifting. That helped, but I started to experiment and I found that 40-45 mph range is the sweet spot for 2nd to 1st downshifts. Any speed below 40 mph is prone to false neutrals on my bike when using quick-shifter. I adjusted my riding style and that seems to help 99% of the time. I still hit false neutral from time to time, but usually when I am lazy. I just use clutch when I need to shift at lower speed. Hope that helps.

#42 ·
Yeah I know I'm nit picking I just think if I can get it resolved I'd like to, someone mentioned there's no need to go to first unless you're stopping, honestly sometimes I just wanna go to first and ring it out. Lol. Bren is saying that the cable adjustment affects micro switches that affect the QS. I'm gonna make a few adjustments and see if that helps. Other than this non issue really, it's perfect. I love the purr of the cold start, all restrictions removed, it's just a monster of a machine. I appreciate everyone in the group helping me. (Also I'm for sure using a very deliberate foot action when using the shifter, but for sure that's great advice)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.