BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
please do not take this in ANY way wrong... but with these quick release pins, with no form of security, do they not inherently create an abnormal avenue for theft. Every bike I know does have SOME sort of safety measure to protect the battery (alarms , even seperate self stored battery, type) have to draw their power from somewhere. If all it takes is a yank of the seat to gain access to this vial part of the bike, it just seems like an un-nessesiary risk.

I LOVE the idea, but beyond a trackbike/racebike... it just seems like an undo risk. Please advise if I'm overstepping my own logic on this please :)

cheers
Seriously, bike thieves don't dismantle bikes! They put a duvet round it (to silence the alarm) and chuck it in a van.

And besides, who is going to know that the seat comes off easily?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Just got mine installed. Gotta say it was kind of a PITA. I wish you had machined something at the bottom at least for a socket or wrench to grip onto.
As is stands, I got 'em in, but one of the balls is recessed after the pliers slipped up and pushed it in... :mad:

Either way, they work.

B

PS: For anyone curious, the seat has a metal insert inside the screw holes so no worry of wearing out any plastic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just got mine installed. Gotta say it was kind of a PITA. I wish you had machined something at the bottom at least for a socket or wrench to grip onto.
As is stands, I got 'em in, but one of the balls is recessed after the pliers slipped up and pushed it in... :mad:

Either way, they work.

B

PS: For anyone curious, the seat has a metal insert inside the screw holes so no worry of wearing out any plastic.
Now i know i will be sitting on my seat while riding so there will be no raddle but how much play is there up and down / side to side??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Either way, they work...
maybe i need to write up some instructions. unless you've messed up the threads in the frame, all you need to do is put a drop of loctite on the threads of the pin and screw it in with your fingers (it does not need to be torque in).

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
maybe i need to write up some instructions. unless you've messed up the threads in the frame, all you need to do is put a drop of loctite on the threads of the pin and screw it in with your fingers (it does not need to be torque in).
Yeah, that's what I would have thought too... maybe there was some old thread lock in there or dust/dirt or something... they certainly didn't hand tighten.

Thanks for the PM.

B

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
VERY NICE!! Got mine installed today, and they work VERY good.

The one suggestion would be to put a slit on the top to fit a flat head screw driver. I dremeled mine, and it turned out great (see photo below). My threads on the bike were a little gummed up and I imagine you'll find a lot of future buyers in the same boat. The way the seat is designed it is just gonna happen over time (gum up the threads a little). With the flat head screwdriver, they went in fine, no stripping... but without, it would have been a big PITA to thread em in... and they wouldn't go just w/your fingers, you'd need pliers.

Flat Head Dremeled in:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
471 Posts

The one suggestion would be to put a slit on the top to fit a flat head screw driver. I dremeled mine, and it turned out great (see photo below). My threads on the bike were a little gummed up and I imagine you'll find a lot of future buyers in the same boat. The way the seat is designed it is just gonna happen over time (gum up the threads a little). With the flat head screwdriver, they went in fine, no stripping... but without, it would have been a big PITA to thread em in... and they wouldn't go just w/your fingers, you'd need pliers.

Flat Head Dremeled in:

Ahh, so I'm not crazy. And great solve man! I turned the damn things with a pliers!

b

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
Ahh, so I'm not crazy. And great solve man! I turned the damn things with a pliers!

b

b
I started w/pliers and even that was gonna be a PITA... then figured a quick little cut of the wheel w/a Dremel would do it - Problem solved! Great product non-the-less... MUCH better than the damn bolts you gotta screw in and jack with.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I started w/pliers and even that was gonna be a PITA... then figured a quick little cut of the wheel w/a Dremel would do it - Problem solved! Great product non-the-less... MUCH better than the damn bolts you gotta screw in and jack with.
I needed pliers to finish the job too. Could not hand tight all the way.

Don't ask me why but I still feel a bit uneasy about riding this way (with the seat having a bit of up/down play). The track days this weekend will be the ultimate test. :)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I needed pliers to finish the job too. Could not hand tight all the way.

Don't ask me why but I still feel a bit uneasy about riding this way (with the seat having a bit of up/down play). The track days this weekend will be the ultimate test. :)
Unless you weigh a few ounces, I wouldn't worry about it! :D But either way, let us know how it goes... I don't have a track day til next month.

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
The track days this weekend will be the ultimate test. :)
Have a great time at the Track and let us know if you feel any movement out there.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

Flat Head Dremeled in:

Brilliant idea!

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Did Ken go on and start making them now w/the groove?

I cut the slots in mine, but I think the detent balls are there more for looks then to hold anything.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I installed mine. Easy peasy - just clean the threads out - I had to do that to one; the other was totaly smooth and clean and screwed in like butter. Finger tight plus a touch of Loctite is enough. I tried it without the washer, which would in theory hold the seat in tighter, but apparently that's too low for the ball to engage properly.

Push down on the seat and get it seated on the pins good and solid. Yes, it's easy to pull the seat off the pins...**partially**. It won't come off during riding. As far as being loose...you might be able to wiggle in when you're off it, but while seated, it's rock solid. Did some riding and hung off the bike, and never felt the seat budge a millimeter. If a rider didn't know those pins were there, they wouldn't know the difference.

It's a brilliant piece of kit, and I like it quite a lot. Makes trickle charging the battery easy in the sense that you're more likely to do it, instead of feeling the hassle of getting those screws out by contorting seatfoam and fingers on both hands.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Unless you weigh a few ounces, I wouldn't worry about it! :D But either way, let us know how it goes... I don't have a track day til next month.
2 days spent on the track... Could not tell the difference with stock screws (actually totally forgot it was Ken's kit holding the seat). I am no longer paranoid or sceptic. :)

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.