BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm developing new bar end weights for the post-'19 S1000RR. Would someone be able to remove one of theirs and weigh it for me?

First person who can post an answer here, will get a free pair once I make them.

Thanks,
Steve
HVMP Inc

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current design is at about exactly double the weight with the screw included. With a tapered profile, so it should look pretty unobtrusive. Thanks again
Wood Font Gas Rectangle Metal

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you didn’t make a tapered end would it be heavier? (Why of course it would be) I’d be interested in a non tapered set to help with the vibration.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Perhaps weight alone is not the answer, it might be about getting the right weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ravenbravo and ZZZ

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps weight alone is not the answer, it might be about getting the right weight?

Exactly. We originally used the template for the pre-‘19 RR and figured since it worked so well on those bikes that it would work as well on the newer bikes. It did ok but was not ideal based on some feedback we received.
We’re trying something new based on the XR bar end weight. We’ll see. Lots of trial and error. We’re not NASA and don’t have access to crazy computer simulators.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

Exactly. All changing the mass and cg of the weight does is change the frequency, not actually "dampen" anything. But, sometimes you can move the resonant frequency to where it's less or a problem. I've always wanted to actually make a true damper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Perhaps heavier may not help but will bring the vibration down to a lower frequency so that’ll be ok with me since I’m always in the higher rpm. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you didn’t make a tapered end would it be heavier? (Why of course it would be) I’d be interested in a non tapered set to help with the vibration.
Exactly. All changing the mass and cg of the weight does is change the frequency, not actually "dampen" anything. But, sometimes you can move the resonant frequency to where it's less or a problem. I've always wanted to actually make a true damper.
Also exactly right. We make no claims to actual damping. We are not absorbing energy, we are changing how it is expressed.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The best ones I've tried including your have been the alpha racing bar end. They aren't perfect but do work.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Perhaps heavier may not help but will bring the vibration down to a lower frequency so that’ll be ok with me since I’m always in the higher rpm. 🤷🏻‍♂️
One would tend to think so (and I would tend to agree), but, since you now have a large mass on one end, resistant to movement, the center of the tube may vibrate more since vibration, like electricity, will take the path of least resistance. You'd really have to either simulate it or test it (accelerometers) to truly know what was going on. I've done some vibe table work over the years, things are a LOT more complicated than they would seem, especially with that many parts in the chain.

That's why a system that truly damped the bars would be best. They tried rubber-mounted bars over the years, but that idea never panned out since then all your steering inputs and front end "feel" were all spongy-feeling, the LAST thing you want on a sportbike.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
295 Posts
I'd love to see you develop something for the gilles gp lite bars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those look like standard hollow clip ons. That would use a universal type bar end. We have those in two sizes depending on the inner diameter of the clip-ons.

I would not recommend the universal type weight for racing or track use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's why a system that truly damped the bars would be best. They tried rubber-mounted bars over the years, but that idea never panned out since then all your steering inputs and front end "feel" were all spongy-feeling, the LAST thing you want on a sportbike.
A company called vibranator tried making a tuned mass damping bar end setup. I don't think they're around anymore. I think the product was very expensive, and I don't think it accomplished anything better than by just adding mass. It seemed well made though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The difference is the last Gen had vibration at lower RPMs and your weights did a great job. This Gen the vibration is higher in the rev range , at 8K rpm is the worst for me.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The difference is the last Gen had vibration at lower RPMs and your weights did a great job. This Gen the vibration is higher in the rev range , at 8K rpm is the worst for me.
Yeah, on my '15 my right bar in particular seems to peak at about 4k RPM, which if I remember is right about 50mph. Replacing the OEM giant exhaust can with the Yosh R-55 LE almost completely cured that (see above comment about # of parts in the chain) as a side benefit, but I can still feel that peak. Smooth as glass at 80+mph though. So, if I ever get pulled over for that, I'll simply tell the officer I'm simply trying to avoid a career-ending carpal tunnel injury... 🤣

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
A company called vibranator tried making a tuned mass damping bar end setup. I don't think they're around anymore. I think the product was very expensive, and I don't think it accomplished anything better than by just adding mass. It seemed well made though.
LOL Sounds like either the new Ahhhnold movie or a new sex toy...or maybe a sex toy named after the movie... 🤣

I've never heard of it, I'll have to look them up and see what their approach was.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts