BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great Test

Whats up guys, so last week I had a lenghty conversation with a sales/tech at Brentuning. I learned alot, he even put up with my BS, thanks for that! Anywho, the guy seemed educated and explained why my conventional way of thinking...full exhaust, PCV and go was the old way of thinking and that the power in our bikes is unlocked through the ECU. Per their website, some massive gains can be had by just flashing the ECU. I believe 13-15 hp it says.(SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG). So Ive decided that I am going to take my bike with only a BMC filter and the baffle removed and do a base run on the frieldly neighborhood dyno. I will then purchase the ECU flash and send my ECU to Brentune. Once I receive it back, I will then plug it in and drive it a bit, schedule my next dyno appointment and do a re-pull on the same dyno of course. Because there has to be a control. Then we can see what were working with. I like what ive read and what i heard. And after not riding for a few years and now being back in the game. Im pumped. I will post my base pull in the next few days. Until then, ride safe fellas.
This is a great test. And I'm suprised more people have not done this on a third party dyno and posted the results. You get unbiased objective results as long as the conditions are the same the day you dyno and the same method is used. This is one owner that is anxiously awaiting the outcome. I am considering the BrenTuning as well at the end of the riding season. Good Luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow. That price was wayyy higher than what Chris at Bren told me. Stage one is 695 and stage two is 14xx. But they apply the stage 1 cost toward your stage two when youre ready to go that route. If Brentunes claims are correct and I can get 15 hp from a 700 tune.......well thats 2 hp per 100 bux. If you buy titanium exhaust for 1800 and only get 8 HP..........well clearly the tune is the better buy. And look how many people can justify buying the exhaust and not the tune. Everyone has an exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Where are Scully and Muldur when you need them. I'm thinking that when someone was finally going to post a real before/after on the same dyno with the tune, they got caught in the conspiracy by The Man!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Brentuning lost my faith when they wouldn't work with e85, saying only that the RR doesn't work well with it. When pressed they were either unable or unwilling to detail why. I'm guessing just ignorance of the fuel and what it requires. I did the calculations, our fuel system can handle it, there's no reason I could find why it wouldn't work as long as we tune for the increased demand. It's race fuel for the street that's cheaper than low-grade pump gas, and the only downside is range.

well clearly the tune is the better buy. And look how many people can justify buying the exhaust and not the tune. Everyone has an exhaust system.
You're actually incorrect. The exhaust system cuts weight, about 19lbs for a full Ti system. Using your numbers, a 2015 RR will have about .476 hp/lb (450lbs, 214hp). A 15 RR with a Ti exhaust by your numbers will have .480 hp/lb (431lbs, 207hp). So actually, the exhaust will make for a quicker accelerating bike than a tune.

But there's much more to it than just acceleration. The exhaust looks considerably better than the can on 15-16s that fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. The exhaust also sounds better (Subjective, but does to me and most others). Because of the weight loss, the bike also handles better, stops in shorter distances, has better tire wear, and gets better gas mileage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Brentuning lost my faith when they wouldn't work with e85, saying only that the RR doesn't work well with it. When pressed they were either unable or unwilling to detail why. I'm guessing just ignorance of the fuel and what it requires. I did the calculations, our fuel system can handle it, there's no reason I could find why it wouldn't work as long as we tune for the increased demand. It's race fuel for the street that's cheaper than low-grade pump gas, and the only downside is range.

well clearly the tune is the better buy. And look how many people can justify buying the exhaust and not the tune. Everyone has an exhaust system.
You're actually incorrect. The exhaust system cuts weight, about 19lbs for a full Ti system. Using your numbers, a 2015 RR will have about .476 hp/lb (450lbs, 214hp). A 15 RR with a Ti exhaust by your numbers will have .480 hp/lb (431lbs, 207hp). So actually, the exhaust will make for a quicker accelerating bike than a tune.

But there's much more to it than just acceleration. The exhaust looks considerably better than the can on 15-16s that fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. The exhaust also sounds better (Subjective, but does to me and most others). Because of the weight loss, the bike also handles better, stops in shorter distances, has better tire wear, and gets better gas mileage.
E85 is perhaps my favourite fuel and have very good properties. I have seen a S85 motor put out almost 100 hp more N/A on E85, but there are several things you need to account for: Like increased exhaust volume (i can see this will be a problem as it will require over 30 % more flow than what existing systems are designed for) one would strongly wish for an ethanol sensor as the blend is different from time to time, and range would also would be a problem. But as far as power i think you would need a whole different exhaust to get racefuel numbers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can't speak as to Brens research on e85, but I live close to his shop, have his flash and dyno tune. The throttle is completely smooth throughout the whole rev range. No before numbers because I brought it with my exhaust installed. I wasn't interested in the number but what my butt told me. I rode 1100 miles prior, so I had a feel on it and could easily tell. (I've been on the street since '94, not a pro by any means but have some time on bikes).

E85 ot here is a unicorn, I only know of one gas station with it, so my tune is based off 93 octane.

I am happy with their service and product. They are incredibly busy, a small shop, but great people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Showtime

Whats up guys, so last week I had a lenghty conversation with a sales/tech at Brentuning. I learned alot, he even put up with my BS, thanks for that! Anywho, the guy seemed educated and explained why my conventional way of thinking...full exhaust, PCV and go was the old way of thinking and that the power in our bikes is unlocked through the ECU. Per their website, some massive gains can be had by just flashing the ECU. I believe 13-15 hp it says.(SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG). So Ive decided that I am going to take my bike with only a BMC filter and the baffle removed and do a base run on the frieldly neighborhood dyno. I will then purchase the ECU flash and send my ECU to Brentune. Once I receive it back, I will then plug it in and drive it a bit, schedule my next dyno appointment and do a re-pull on the same dyno of course. Because there has to be a control. Then we can see what were working with. I like what ive read and what i heard. And after not riding for a few years and now being back in the game. Im pumped. I will post my base pull in the next few days. Until then, ride safe fellas.

Where's your update? Did you purchase the flash? Did you go with the Alpha N Brentune? Did you do a dyno after the tune?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts