BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, my few days old 2nd hand 0D10 has already presented my with some troublesome issues.

1. Looking at pictures from other owners, it seems there is a bolt missing on the left hand side that secures the front axle.
Is this correct?

2. The frame fibrates A LOT thru the rear sets and handlebars (this is my 4th superbike and Crossplane engine fibrate allot without some decent bar end weights.
I read some earlier posts about this issue and this seems te be related due to the engine not having a balancer shaft but, driving like this is unbearable :(
Hopefully i can fix it with re-torquing the engine mounting bolts and seeing if the chain and sprockets are in good condition.

3.I jacked up the rear wheel and i hear like a plastic squeeling noise coming from the back wheel.
Also apart from this noise there is like a balls in a rattlecan noise.
The wheel spins freely and does not bind or drag on the rear axle or something, it actually rotates super smooth.
This also seems like a "common" thing judging by the amounts of posts here but, is this something i should be worried about?

4th, and maybe the most important one, suspension settings/customizable settings like DDC and USER settings are unavailable in the settings menu (as in, they just aren't there).
I called the BMW dealer where this bike was last know for maintenance and they said the previous owner also mentioned this after he swapped out to a HP4 ECU and they could not fix it...

·
Administrator
6,775 Posts
1. The front axle screws into a threaded spacer that sits in the left hand fork leg. No bolt. There is also 4 pinch bolts. 2 on each fork that secure the axle from the front.

2. They vibrate. That's how they are. If you feel it through the bars try some heavier bar ends. The frame/chain won't help.

3. Check the cush drive rubbers for sprocket movement and if the chain is not worn out with tight/loose spots and it is lubricated. Check wheel bearings as well. Check the wheel speed sensor is not rubbing on the tone wheel.

4. The bike will need the correct ecu or those functions will not appear. A HP4 ECU won't work properly in a 15/16 model RR. I'm amazed it even functions to be honest. Pics or vids of the issues would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oef that input haha. I will try get some footage as the week progresses.
I also got supplied the original ECU so i will contact my local Motorrad to find out what was wrong with it to begin with.

Meanwhile i did manage to get some (pre chain cleaning) footage of the rearwheel issue.

Rear wheel

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
You can post or PM me the label tags on the ECU and I can tell you what works and how it should work. I have no clue how you define an ECU as HP4 for a 2015/16 because it does not exist.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can post or PM me the label tags on the ECU and I can tell you what works and how it should work. I have no clue how you define an ECU as HP4 for a 2015/16 because it does not exist.
I was kind of hoping you would notice this thread xD.
In one of the threads you commented on, you mentioned your background and certifications and, i impressed!

See attached snapshot of the workorder.
Even BMW acknowledges the ECU as a valid HP4 type.

I haven't opened the bike up yet. i still need to get the special Torq bits so i won't round of all the bolts.
The swapped out ECU came in a bag which i will photograph and attach in my next comment.

the local Mottorad is closed today so i will have to wait and see what they can read back from the current ECU and if we hook up the previous one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with the previous owner and he explained to me that he had O2 sensor issues that could not be wiped from memory.
This is why he was offered an ECU swap.
The salesperson told him that this ECU is configured to not look for the O2 sensor (and has all ETV and gear restriction removed).

Will report back later today with more information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not home at the moment but, i had contact by phone again with the previous owner.
He sent me a picture he took from the ECU before it went into the bike:

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
The BMSX is correct for the 15/16.

The dealer has done something he is not supposed to do. They only added HP Power Kit enable without RCK3 enable. June 2018 BMWAG put out a PUMA that no longer RCK3 and HP Power kit ECU enables are to be done separate. They are to be only together. I found the issues in 2016 and advised the dealer locally that the RCK3 by itself does nothing but GUI interface and the HP power kit enable by itself does not fully work without the RCK3 GUI. So, you have a an issue in the ECU that it is not functioning correctly since both enables are not done.

The dealer will need to pay for RCK3 enable to fix it, or he will tell you to pay for it and then you have both like it should be.

That HP logo is what was BMW HP products and the RCK3 and HP power kit enables fall under that old product line. No longer available in the USA from the dealers, but, I can do the RCK3 / HP power kit enables, and have done many.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The BMSX is correct for the 15/16.

The dealer has done something he is not supposed to do. They only added HP Power Kit enable without RCK3 enable. June 2018 BMWAG put out a PUMA that no longer RCK3 and HP Power kit ECU enables are to be done separate. They are to be only together. I found the issues in 2016 and advised the dealer locally that the RCK3 by itself does nothing but GUI interface and the HP power kit enable by itself does not fully work without the RCK3 GUI. So, you have a an issue in the ECU that it is not functioning correctly since both enables are not done.

The dealer will need to pay for RCK3 enable to fix it, or he will tell you to pay for it and then you have both like it should be.
Thank you for explaining what would or should be the problem.
Unfortunately, i do not fully grasp the GUI part.
So basically, the firmware should be changed on the HP4 ECU?

What does it do for me on the streets. It's highly unlikely that i will track this bike. Does this give me more room to play with unlocked features? I just want to be able to use the normal (suspension) options and USER settings.

Also, what could this potentially cost me...

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
If you want " normal (suspension) options and USER settings. " do not get RCK3 enabled. However, without properly setting HP power enable it may not run right.

You should have requested on the TiEx update code and see if they would do that one still.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want " normal (suspension) options and USER settings. " do not get RCK3 enabled. However, without properly setting HP power enable it may not run right.

You should have requested on the TiEx update code and see if they would do that one still.
I bought the bike as is. I was unaware of the missing options in the setup menu.

So i don't get misunderstood, i do not care at this moment about the extra power or unlocked features. I just want to be able setup the suspension and make use of all the features that are supposed to be there in the first place.

What do i tell the dealer to do?

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
This is quite complicated to sit here and guess at what is going on with the ECU / ECU you have. You indicate you have an ECU in the bike when you brought it, and you have an ECU in a plastic bag.

Right now I am guessing you have the ECU with the HP logo in the plastic bag.

That means that the ECU in the bike is what? Totally stock but no one can figure out how to get USER modes to come on? Well I need the VIN to see if Ride Mode Pro is even an option installed to the ECU. So PM me the VIN. Then lets say it is not a coded option, you need alot of ECU work and I am the only person I know that can reverse the codes and install new different codes. Dealer cannot reverse codes in the ECU. They can only turn off the HP Power enable, that cannot remove it.

Then you need to switch the ECU that is in the bike to see if the ECU with the HP logo will even start it.

That torx is T25 for the screws to the ECU / Tank cover.

Check to see if the coding plug ( AKA Slick plug ) is even installed to the wiring. If that is missing, well HP power enable will not work anyway in the ECU with the HP logo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nope the other way around. The HP4 ECU is in the bike from the moment i bought it and i got the original (faulty one) in the garage.
It runs perfect. Starts in one crank, doesn't throw ABS lights or any other fault.

I turned 42 today but, if i can, i will run out to the garage and try to get some of this on video.
Also i will try to swap out the ECU and see what problems pop-up when i start it and ride up and down the street.

I also just ordered 2 replacement wheel bearings to get rid of that ball bearing noise (even though the dealer said they are needle bearings).

EDIT:
Slickplug was already inserted.
I already tried pulling the plug, bike off/on, re-insert the plug, bike off/on. Bike switched to rain mode (reset succesvol).
I have slick mode available (and selected) but USER mode is not available.

Unfortunately i can't leave the house (maybe tonight) so i will post pictures/vids tomorrow.

BMW_388
I will PM you the VIN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update:
I took a GoPro and tried to show what i mean.
It goes on unnecessarily long though haha, it shows that i have no suspension or USER interface.

So after this, i swapped out the ECU'S (took the HP4 ECU out and put the original ECU in) and after like a half hour driving, i noticed that at partial throttle say 10 to 20%, it felt like it was cutting ignition (kinda like anti lag or launch control).
I really have to open the throttle to actually create power.

So the original problem is ECU related. The ECU gets hot and i think a capacitor or resistance is getting too hot and starts throwing wrong info to the throttle bodies or ignition or... whatever it maybe.
Unfortunately, the GoPro battery was long dead by then.

I have to wait for dry weather and try to replicate the same thing and get it on camera.

I also bought 2 wheel bearings for the rear wheel but, as i took off the rear wheel and cleaned it, i couldn't find any fault in the bearings (no roll resistance or leaks) so refitted the wheel properly and...no more ball noise or squeaking wheel sound...

So, i will update this thread when i am able to get the problem on camera.

See attached, the ECU'S as i photographed them before riding out the first time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is someone able to provide the service manual for the 2015 (may) model?

I found 2 threads on this.

One is a endless discussion with member: "z00" that asked money for the iso.
The 2nd one houses a link but, that link is dead at this point.
In that thread on the 11th page there is a link to a ISO file but that is for the first gen model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Legend! Thanks a bunch.

I should be able to get some footage made coming weekend.
Will keep everyone (current and future people interested) updated.

Chances are, i have to send my ECU in for repairs to Carmo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the weather turned out pretty nice today so i went for a spin.
Safe to say, i got the issue on video...
Click me for video

I look forward to your thoughts.
Also, when the next opportunity will arise, i will swap back the HP4 ECU try to replicate the issue again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts