BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
both will break in a short time according to a friend of mine that ended up going with a 2017 CBR1000RR. I am not too sure for Suzuki. I didnt believe him until I did my research after my RR junk elmoe'd. Do a little researching people's experiences. The R1 seems to have it's engine issues as well as the RR. Some folks are complaining that their R1 crankshaft fails and the RR valves drop. :serious:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The best bang for buck would be the Gsxr and I would not overlook that bike as great deals can be had. Its a hell of a bike as most of these are. If you like the looks of it I would seriously check them out! I would not get hung up on all this electronic stuff but if cruise and heated grips are on your mind it doesnt have them. And to the one that said the BMW heated grips are feeble, mine work perfect, hot and hotter!
To be honest I could of bought anyone of these bikes, R1, Bmw, suzuki, Honda etc.
For me it came down to the Honda BMW and Gsxr. The BMW won me over with its power, style and features. I could live without all this electronics stuff on these bikes these days though
Yeah, I hate/love the asymmetric headlights, the shark gill fairings. I realized that the uniqueness of it is why I love it and for the price points the electronics are a bonus. I really do want the heated grips and cruise control. It gives me a superbike that's easy to live with =) Coming from a Yamaha FJ-09, everything about any of these bikes would be huge improvements.

I spoke with the dealer, they wiggled down a bit on price and I placed the deposit. It'll be my first 1k cc machine and a beautifully ugly exotic at that.

·
4,669 Posts
Sent ya a PM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like I’m too late.
I was going to suggest this:
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-KTM-1190-RC8-R-5009486753

You wouldn’t get any electronic rider aids at all. But would get a very comfortable bike (for a sport bike) with monster torque and respectable HP.
Not going to win any top speed runs, but up to 120 will probably hang with most of them.

And it’s a very unique bike. Will likely get lots of attention, or so most owners claim. This one seems to be a good price also.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The best bang for buck would be the Gsxr and I would not overlook that bike as great deals can be had. Its a hell of a bike as most of these are. If you like the looks of it I would seriously check them out! I would not get hung up on all this electronic stuff but if cruise and heated grips are on your mind it doesnt have them.
If the GSXR had cruise control I'd own one. No question. Why they don't is a mystery...can't be that expensive to add...or difficult.

That rain barrel-sized muffler would have to go though...

·
Registered
924 Posts
Speaking of warranties, mine is expired i believe today on my 2016. Miles getting up there, think i'm going to ride the shizzle out of it till about 30k and prefer to not have a rainy day motor fund. Bike has been problem free since buying new at that, besides the flaky dash pixels. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket warranty company?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
R1 failure. 100% street bike, 2016 model, S model, 6,900 miles. All stock with slip on & stock ecu.
Man, I'm glad I stayed away from the S models. They don't have the titanium springs and Yamaha changed out some of the internals and lowered the redline. That made me think they were using steel and other materials that just wouldn't hold up to the capability the engine was originally designed for.

Today I picked up a pristine 2015 S1000RR with only 1200 miles on it. Y'all who lobbied for the amazing cruise control were absolutely right. It's my first CC equipped motorcycle and I don't know how I got along without it for so long. Thanks all, for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I own a 2016 R1 (50,000km) and a 2019 S1kRR

The R1 feels more RAW than the beemer, the 2019's heated grips are brutally hot now.
cruise control is nice, but i try to keep off highways anyway , so missing it on the r1 doesnt bother me .

R1 has been reliable, starter motor at 50,000km is all .

feed it tyres and gas.

Ride both , and buy the one you cant stop thinking about.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Man, I'm glad I stayed away from the S models. They don't have the titanium springs and Yamaha changed out some of the internals and lowered the redline. That made me think they were using steel and other materials that just wouldn't hold up to the capability the engine was originally designed for.

Today I picked up a pristine 2015 S1000RR with only 1200 miles on it. Y'all who lobbied for the amazing cruise control were absolutely right. It's my first CC equipped motorcycle and I don't know how I got along without it for so long. Thanks all, for your input!
Congrats!
I also didnt mention the self canceling turn signals it has. Which would be great if my buddies bike had them because he is terrible at remembering to turning them off! :laugh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Congrats!
I also didnt mention the self canceling turn signals it has. Which would be great if my buddies bike had them because he is terrible at remembering to turning them off! :laugh:
I didn't even know this until I was reading through the owners manual PDF file. I still need to get into the settings and figure out the timing for it. The switch is pretty vague and I'm constantly checking to see if the signal is on, or if I've actually cancelled it. I'm sure I'll get used to it as I ride more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The S1000RR and R1 don't see a lot of leftover models in the Atlanta area. Unlike the CBR1000RR which still have 2017 models for new available. I'd consider a GSXR, but I prefer the electronics packages on the other two. There are some R1S models, but I've ruled that model out.

This right here is your answer, a 2017 CBR1000RR. You can get them ridiculously cheap brand new. The CBR1000RR has been and still is one of if not the best street bike based 1000C sport bike around. Known for its super easy, friendly handling and great low to mid range power. Since your primarily using it for the commuting and occasional the twisties, it makes the best sense.

It may not have the latest and greatest electronics or most power (has the least actually) the realities are these will never fully be realized on the street. Tis bike is more than capable for what your asking of it.

Check out this price right here!

https://hallsnola.com/view-unit/?displayunit=10414
or in black
https://hallsnola.com/view-unit/?displayunit=11052

Full disclosure, I am a former Honda man. Have owned 4 CBR1000RRs a 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Bought the BMW based on it sees 90% of its life on the track.

If the 2020 Honda comes out being all that (not holding my breath) I will be going back. Honda fit and finish is top quality.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This right here is your answer, a 2017 CBR1000RR. You can get them ridiculously cheap brand new. The CBR1000RR has been and still is one of if not the best street bike based 1000C sport bike around. Known for its super easy, friendly handling and great low to mid range power. Since your primarily using it for the commuting and occasional the twisties, it makes the best sense.

It may not have the latest and greatest electronics or most power (has the least actually) the realities are these will never fully be realized on the street. Tis bike is more than capable for what your asking of it.

or in black

Full disclosure, I am a former Honda man. Have owned 4 CBR1000RRs a 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Bought the BMW based on it sees 90% of its life on the track.

If the 2020 Honda comes out being all that (not holding my breath) I will be going back. Honda fit and finish is top quality.
I would guess you didnt have an 08-09 oil burner like I did and many many others!
Honda had bad piston rings from 2008-2010.
And at the same time their cars had the same issue! Honda said its normal to burn a quart of oil every 1k Normal to who I ask? I was one of the lucky ones who Honda warrantied and had to rebuild my brand new engine with 2k on it. As soon as I got it back I got rid of it! Screw Honda

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

or in black

I was VERY tempted by the CBR, but I went with the '15 S1000RR. I didn't buy the S1000RR for the power, so the CBR would have served just fine. The CBR 2017 year transmission issues had me shy away a little bit and the S1000RR electronics with heated grips and cruise control were what ended up convincing me. I rode about 300 miles today up into the mountains and the cruise control has made a big difference. I'll admit, when I sat on the CBR, it felt so light. It felt like a 600 while sitting on it and I imagine it's handling would be sublime. However... I'll just admit I'm not a good enough rider right now to differentiate nuances between these world class machines.

Oh yeah... and the BMW is a LOT cheaper to insure for some weird reason. I don't get insurance companies sometimes, but a lot of people must be crashing the CBR around here. It had the highest rates of all the liter bikes I checked across multiple companies.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I rode about 300 miles today up into the mountains and the cruise control has made a big difference.
Exactly my experience. There are stretches of road in the mountains after a series of twisties where I can rest my left forearm on the tank after engaging cruise control, and hold the right bar at the end with a finger tip and watch the scenery go by...and when the next set of curves appears, I'm rested and ready to hit 'em.

Why the other manufacturers of literbikes don't have CC is a mystery to me. I won't even consider one without it now, having experienced it since the '15 RR intro.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts