BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to pick up my just-ordered RR next Saturday, headed straight to the track for two days of track setup at Summit Point and Shenandoah Circuit.

Will be racing the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage/Hermy's BMW/ SheetMetal Fabrication-sponsored S1000RR in WERA Sportsman and Natioal events this fall and looking to get on the circuit many times next season. Still putting together some plans to do a couple endurance races on it.

Got a chance to ride the RR on the track at NJMP Thunderbolt Raceway last week, was VERY impressed. I still like my '05 GSXR1000 a lot, but it is easy to see that the BMW will not take too much setup to get very "comfortable" aboard.

Come on out and give a holler for your favorite bike in WERA A SuperSport, A SuperStock, Formula One and of course Senior Superbike Expert Heavyweight!

See the whole Northeast Region calendar at WERA Motorcyle Road Racing :: Home :: v2010n8x1 ::.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
(still gotta set up my sig line...)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't you break it in before it goes to the track?
I can break it in on-track. I'll just coach the Beginner group all day Sunday. That will be about 200 miles of 1/3 throttle. On Monday I'll coach the Intermediate Group, that will be about 200 miles of half-to-3/4 throttle. That should run it in OK. It's track days and suspension setup, not racing (yet.) I'll have the first service done and get the rest of the race parts onto it, bodywork, rearsets, clip-ons, etc., then do another set-up day on it before it races.

I have a plan.;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Maybe ill get to see you sometime if you go to Jennings. My # is Ex 300 but I have not renew my license yet. It should be fun, and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe ill get to see you sometime if you go to Jennings. My # is Ex 300 but I have not renew my license yet. It should be fun, and enjoy the bike.
Except that I race in WERA, and it looks (from your sig) like you race in CCS...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i run WERA and ASRA too ;)

i race them ALL!!!! :D

just cant make it to all bc of funds :mad:
I know about the fundsarelow issue. Seems to plague all racers.

I am mostly up in WERA NE and MidAtlantic Regions. Most years I go to VIRfor our MA/NE season opener. I will not be at CycleJam this weekend, since I'm just gettign the S-RR set up and hope to get it dialed in at some track days.

I coach for Motorcycle Excitement and Absolute Cycle Track Days, so I should have enough time before the WERA round at BeaveRun to get it settled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Track Ready (almost)

OK, got the S1000RR, took it home, stripped off all the $$ BMW plastic, bolted up a set of SharkSkinz, a set of Woodcraft RearSets, Stomp Grips Tank Pads and LSLS Frame Sliders. Took the bike to Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point Raceway on Sunday, Summit Point Main on Monday, and ran it about 300 miles with the factory 9K rev limiter still activated. Had a great time with it on the track (forgot to bring my lap timer, but the times would have been horrible anyhow, I was trying to be kind to the bike.) Brought it home, bolted back th estreet plastic, shipped the SharkSkinz off for paint, and rode it about 250 miles on the street this past weekend. So now I'm ready to do the fist service, and get the street plastic safely stored away.

Here are a couple photos:

Before (on Friday afternoon when I got home from the dealer):

After (Saturday morning about 11 AM when I was ready to load the trailer and head for Summit Point) :

So far I am loving this bike. The power is intoxicating.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
From the dealer it had an Akara full exhaust on it? Here (colorado springs BMW), they'll want to void your warentee or at least a portion of it if you add ANYTHING aftermarket... LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
Planning to pick up my just-ordered RR next Saturday, headed straight to the track for two days of track setup at Summit Point and Shenandoah Circuit.

Will be racing the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage/Hermy's BMW/ SheetMetal Fabrication-sponsored S1000RR in WERA Sportsman and Natioal events this fall and looking to get on the circuit many times next season. Still putting together some plans to do a couple endurance races on it.

Got a chance to ride the RR on the track at NJMP Thunderbolt Raceway last week, was VERY impressed. I still like my '05 GSXR1000 a lot, but it is easy to see that the BMW will not take too much setup to get very "comfortable" aboard.

Come on out and give a holler for your favorite bike in WERA A SuperSport, A SuperStock, Formula One and of course Senior Superbike Expert Heavyweight!

See the whole Northeast Region calendar at WERA Motorcyle Road Racing :: Home :: v2010n8x1 ::.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
(still gotta set up my sig line...)
Enjoy from another BMW rider in PA!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the dealer it had an Akara full exhaust on it? Here (colorado springs BMW), they'll want to void your warentee or at least a portion of it if you add ANYTHING aftermarket... LOL
It's a purpose-built race bike, so the race pipe is appropriate. It is NOT a poser street bike. The dealer is also one of my sponsors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to post a quick note to the forum that I had my first race weekend with the S1000RR on Sept. 5-6 at BeaveRun in Western PA. The bike was great, handled the rough, bumpy track quite well, considering that I still have the street shock and forks on it. (The sponsored HyperPro shocks are in construction/or shipment now, will have them for the next race.)

I managed a trio of 9th or 10th place finishes in the HW Solo Expert race, the A SuperStock race and the Formula 1 Expert face. I used the "RACE" mode for those races, to save my tires and to get some seat time at that track.

Then I turned the SLICK mode on and took Second Place in the Senior Superbike Expert HW race.

I love this bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Race Results: S1000RR at Summit Point WERA Sept 18/19, 2010

Just to keep folks posted on race results, I ran the S1000RR at Summit Point on 9/18-19. Got the following finishes: (Class, place/number of finishers)

A SuperBike Expert: 8/8

A Superstock Expert: 7/7

Formula 1 Expert: 5/7

Senior Superbike HW Expert: 2/3

HW Solo 2 Expert: 11/12

Except for the Senior Superbike race, which I actually led for a while, it was a pretty dismal weekend for results. I could post "Hey, I placed top ten in every race but one, but that would be pretty disingenuous.

The poor finish positions notwithstanding, I posted my best lap times ever at Summit, and they got consistently better all weekend. I'm about a second and a half better on it already than on my GSXR1000, which is a very capable bike and well set-up.

I'm sorting out the new HyperPro rear shock, which has a lot of range and optional settings. I had some setup assistance from friend and fellow racer Dylan Scott, but the fork is still stock, as there was not enough time between race events to fit the cartridge modifications and springs. Thus, I had decent back-end control, but the front was a bit divey and unpredictable on really hard braking. I already used up a set of front pads with only 1766 miles on the odo, which is not heartening, considering the cost of those things!

Also of interest to the S1000RR fans, there was at least one other S1000RR in every one of those races except the Senior Superbike Expet race. There was a Novice (David Ur) in that race on one, but that race is scored separately though it runs concurrently. (David is sick fast on his BMW, after a full season of getting it sorted to his liking.)

I've got a long way to go with this thing, but i am very encouraged by the possibilities for me and the bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cool topic- it's interesting to see this bike put to use in club racing. My racing days are over, and I'm totally satisfied with trackdays at this point, but I still get vicarious pleasure hearing about others racing efforts.

I don't see people using hyperpro suspension products out here in CA, only their steering dampners. The stock stuff works pretty decently at my pace, but I'll be interested to see if you go much better with the hyperpro stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool topic- it's interesting to see this bike put to use in club racing. My racing days are over, and I'm totally satisfied with trackdays at this point, but I still get vicarious pleasure hearing about others racing efforts.
I'm only 57 years young, so I have some time to race and play still. When I am a doddering old man, I'll go back to doing just track days. :D (jk)

[/QUOTE]I don't see people using hyperpro suspension products out here in CA, only their steering dampners. The stock stuff works pretty decently at my pace, but I'll be interested to see if you go much better with the hyperpro stuff.[/QUOTE]

They hooked me up with both their linear and progressive dampers that mount in the stock location. We have some seriously bumpy tracks out East here, because we had a couple rough winters and the track managements have been too cash-strapped to fix it. I found that the linear damper worked best at BeaveRun, but the progressive RSC damper is working better at Summit Point, where the bike lifts and shakes its head on the long front straight,

I've been selling HyperPro shocks for street BMWs for about three years. I find them to be better-suited for road use than any of the Ohlins or Wilbers stuff I have sold. Also I have not had a single leakage or breakage problem reported, a far cry from the frequent Ohlins and occasional Wilbers leaky seals or snapped Ohlins shafts. I run Ohlins on my GSXR1000 race bike, and have not been really happy with the tunability. It seems that the range of adjustment is too narrow to be really useful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts