1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
188 Posts
california is gorgeous geographically.... but im pretty sure its the shittiest state government in the US by a large margin.

Dude, I was born in SoCal and have lived here all of my 62 years. I have everything I could ever want and couldn’t dream of ever leaving.

That said......

You are totally right.

I let politics sort itself out most of my life, but the last 5 years have been shedding light on the major fu<kups that lead and represent California. I’ve started dreaming of moving out after retirement in a year or two....incomprehensible only a short time ago. Hopefully the wife comes around on this, lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Forewarning to those who care. I wish I would have known before changing mine out...

Edit*
apparently this is a federal law so not legal anywhere!? You can find mention of them needing to be 9” apart at the bottom of this link:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

How is it that no one mentions this on sites like revzilla??
Because it is owner responsibility to ensure compliance after purchase. It only needs to conform when initially sold and after that its fair game for anything really... ANY modification to the original lighting system not stamped with a DOT logo or molded into the lens is ILLEGAL... which is essentially all but OEM because the expensive testing to conform to standards cuts into profits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
california is gorgeous geographically.... but im pretty sure its the shittiest state government in the US by a large margin.
It is up there for sure as one of the most controlled states New York State also comes to mind well a lot of the north east states that is New Jersey isn't any better I grew up there and would never move back ever... I have been in GA for the past 23 years and only an hours ride from really nice mountain roads... but I see you are in Thailand I am sure that is a fun place I also bet the riding can be very nice as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It is up there for sure as one of the most controlled states New York State also comes to mind well a lot of the north east states that is New Jersey isn't any better I grew up there and would never move back ever... I have been in GA for the past 23 years and only an hours ride from really nice mountain roads... but I see you are in Thailand I am sure that is a fun place I also bet the riding can be very nice as well.
oh man how could i forget those 2 dumps, NY and NJ lol.. yeah they give CA a run for its money on shitty gov
theres a few nice mountain areas in NY, but CA has NY/NJ beat on climate and geography hands down... which makes it even more of a shame that the gov is so ****.
ive spent time in all 4 that you just mentioned... would agree GA the best choice out of those... i enjoyed some time in NC, great driving/riding around there, but totally whack alcohol laws.

FL has much better laws than CA, and great beaches, but unfortunately flat as a board, not much in the way of twisties and good driving roads.

back on topic... anyone research or know offhand how much the fine / ticket is for the integrated tail light in CA ?
is it just a fix-it ticket?
or do they take your car/bike right there on the spot? (i know that sounds ridiculous but many things in CA are ridiculous so i wouldnt rule it out lol)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dude, I was born in SoCal and have lived here all of my 62 years. I have everything I could ever want and couldn’t dream of ever leaving.

That said......

You are totally right..

lol... CA has some absolutely GORGEOUS places... ive been lucky to visit a few... LOVE the giant sequoia forests.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I do some backroad commuting at night and we all know that the stock RR headlights aren't the best. I installed the RR specific Clearwater Darla kit and man, what a difference. 2,000/4,000 lumens on low/high setting. Huge increase in visibility and safety, but also very illegal. California doesn't have the market cornered on stupid "unapproved accessory" laws. All states have 'em.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see a lot of hate for CA Gov and want to remind everyone that this is a federal law, it’s not legal anywhere technically.

As for revzilla, I would at least expect something stating it’s not for street use. I like options but I also like being informed and if one doesn’t find out the hard way or google “is this legal” one would never know.

Just venting since I wasted $150.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I am confused why you say you wasted $150. You haven't received a ticket for the light (unless I missed something), the system works and you bought it because you like the way it looks. Are you that worried about this? Do you really think you are going to get pulled over for it and suffer some terrible consequences?

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
And so are most after market pipes and kangaroo leather. In 50 years of riding here I've violated all of these and never got nicked for it, even after being pulled over for being quick. It just is not a high priority at least not in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am confused why you say you wasted $150. You haven't received a ticket for the light (unless I missed something), the system works and you bought it because you like the way it looks. Are you that worried about this? Do you really think you are going to get pulled over for it and suffer some terrible consequences?
Personally no, but I rent my bike out and certainly don’t want to inconvenience someone else. Not good for business...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And so are most after market pipes and kangaroo leather. In 50 years of riding here I've violated all of these and never got nicked for it, even after being pulled over for being quick. It just is not a high priority at least not in my neck of the woods.
Thanks, someone who rented my bike actually got stopped for it. Thankfully they showed their military ID and were let go.

Kangaroo leather? What is that?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Items made of Kangaroo leather are illegal in California, including riding gear.

See, here, for the long history of California banning Kangaroo products beginning in 1971. The ban was lifted for a while, but came back into effect on January 1, 2016.

I have no idea why the two and one-half year lull in enforcement.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I see a lot of hate for CA Gov and want to remind everyone that this is a federal law, it’s not legal anywhere technically.

As for revzilla, I would at least expect something stating it’s not for street use. I like options but I also like being informed and if one doesn’t find out the hard way or google “is this legal” one would never know.

Just venting since I wasted $150.
It's wasted only if you get a ticket.... ;)

I rode for all my years in CA (from '84 to '91) with STUPID loud full race exhaust because there were no db restrictions then on race pipes (ah, the GOOD old days!), and was never once hassled, let alone written a ticket for it.

There's TONS of people out there with stupid bright LED replacement kits for their cars/trucks, and they never get tickets. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: s_focker

·
Registered
270 Posts
comments regarding cali gov werent limited to just this light law, or even vehicle mod laws in general.

that being said... certain federal laws are more actively enforced in some places compared to others.

not having a cat is probably illegal everywhere i would assume.... but id been pulled over 50+ times in FL and only 1 cop ever checked (from the sound it was obvious i didnt have one, but i guess most too lazy to crouch down and check)

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I see a lot of hate for CA Gov and want to remind everyone that this is a federal law . . .
Vehicle lighting requirements are governed by the States. For California, see 13 CCR § 699 Turn Signal Lamps. CA requires 9 inch separation. Other states require only that the lights clearly indicate the intention of the rider at 100 feet, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts