BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, today I got a full system akrapovic installed. And this issue came up. When I was waiting at an intersection with my bike in gear N, and while I was shifting to 1st gear, the bike stopped working. And screen showed engine issue and take to nearest dealer for check. Yet after I shut the bike down and restart later, the warning disappeared. And this situation has happened 3 times today, after I installed the exhaust.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
you posted this twice?

You dont mention how it acted in terms of running. If you dropped a coil it will run very poorly because it is on 3 cylinders. Or in some cases of 2 coils failing, it will not run at all.

you just say the maintenance screen comes up and that is usually someone disconnecting the rear exhaust flapper solenoid and you need a servo buddy to resolve.

Reactions: Xanderman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you posted this twice?

You dont mention how it acted in terms of running. If you dropped a coil it will run very poorly because it is on 3 cylinders. Or in some cases of 2 coils failing, it will not run at all.

you just say the maintenance screen comes up and that is usually someone disconnecting the rear exhaust flapper solenoid and you need a servo buddy to resolve.
Sorry about posting twice, I am trying to delete one Tho. I got exact same situation as this guy. That the bike started misfiring so badly and I don’t have power at low rev. Then the engine problem showed up and asked me to take bike to nearest dealer.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Then your coils are bad. I have had the issue myself at 3500 miles. It makes no matter you have a stock ECU or a modified ( flashed ) ECU, the coils go bad. buy 4, or convince the dealer to replace them. There is no fault code for the bad coil. The code has to be in the ECU for detecting a P0300 and it is just not there for motorcycles as of yet. There is some code for a faulty coil, but you have to really work hard to trigger the ECU coil faulty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then your coils are bad. I have had the issue myself at 3500 miles. It makes no matter you have a stock ECU or a modified ( flashed ) ECU, the coils go bad. buy 4, or convince the dealer to replace them. There is no fault code for the bad coil. The code has to be in the ECU for detecting a P0300 and it is just not there for motorcycles as of yet. There is some code for a faulty coil, but you have to really work hard to trigger the ECU coil faulty.
Thank you so much sir for your advice!!! I will do it first thing in the morning tomorrow, hope the warranty covers it. I will get engine oils change to 300v, hope the bike heats up slower. And btw my bike has only 200kms on it.......

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
That is about the lowest distance I have seen on the coil issue, but, electronics really dont care about time and distance. The death of most electronics is heat and humidity. BMW's manufacture of these coils is having some kind of control issue in making the TTL part of the coil. I dont think it is the windings of the coil, it is the TTL part of it going bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is about the lowest distance I have seen on the coil issue, but, electronics really dont care about time and distance. The death of most electronics is heat and humidity. BMW's manufacture of these coils is having some kind of control issue in making the TTL part of the coil. I dont think it is the windings of the coil, it is the TTL part of it going bad.
Thank you so much for letting me know that!!!!! I will bring update once I get in touch with my local dealer!

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Transistor Transistor Logic - learn something every day

COP - Coil on Plug using TTL .. pretty good explanation here.

The BMW Motorrad is working on a 3 wire COP. The 4 wire COP has a better diagnostics quality and can have ECU code that detects misfires ( P0300 ) even down to actual cylinder P0301 - P0304 in our inline 4 cylinder application, but, the code is not there for good diagnostics at this time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello!!! I just confirmed that one of the cylinder isn’t working. All Three cylinders from left to right have changed color, but the right one didn’t... don’t know what to do now.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Cant you just go to the dealer and wait on them to figure it out? I have heard of anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cant you just go to the dealer and wait on them to figure it out? I have heard of anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for the dealer to fix it.
The warranty thing worried the crap of of me. Although I was told by my friend that the akrapovic racing lane is bmw approved parts, but wasn’t installed by that bmw dealer. I just worried that they find excuses and void the warranty which eventually will cost a lot.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Then take the time to put the stock exhaust back on it. I would I can tell you that. I would not want BMWAG to have pictures of the bike with the full exhaust on there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then take the time to put the stock exhaust back on it. I would I can tell you that. I would not want BMWAG to have pictures of the bike with the full exhaust on there.
Thx mate, I am going to send the bike to dealer on Friday and get oem pipe back on in a day or two. Hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx mate, I am going to send the bike to dealer on Friday and get oem pipe back on in a day or two. Hope everything goes well.
I just confirmed that it was the O2 sensor that went wrong. Did the rev test, holding rev at 4000 for 1min, and right two headers went red but left two didn’t 😅

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
I just confirmed that it was the O2 sensor that went wrong. Did the rev test, holding rev at 4000 for 1min, and right two headers went red but left two didn’t 😅
Is this thing misfiring ?

I can assure that if you only have a O2 sensor problem it will start and run on 4 cylinders. I have run my engine without O2 sensors installed and connected so the ECU is reading nothing and it still runs on 4 cylinders.

MisFires are the coils / injectors / bad wiring / bad fuel / spark plugs ... things like that. The glowing headers is typical for the coil issue, and since you say it is glowing on 3 and 4 tubes, it likely is number 3.

There is no such test hold it at 4000 RPM for 1 min and get some result.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is this thing misfiring ?

I can assure that if you only have a O2 sensor problem it will start and run on 4 cylinders. I have run my engine without O2 sensors installed and connected so the ECU is reading nothing and it still runs on 4 cylinders.

MisFires are the coils / injectors / bad wiring / bad fuel / spark plugs ... things like that. The glowing headers is typical for the coil issue, and since you say it is glowing on 3 and 4 tubes, it likely is number 3.

There is no such test hold it at 4000 RPM for 1 min and get some result.
It’s getting quite complicated for me at this moment 🤣, I am gonna put oem pipe back on and send in the bike on Friday and see what dealer says. Will bring updated news ASAP hopefully!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts