BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've never wanted a "modular" helmet before. They always looks too...."old-guy/Gold-Wingy". Well, In looking at it, it's a pretty cool helmet, and I've always liked and worn Shoei's because of the quality and they fit my head right. I like the idea of being able to stop for a drink real quick on a long ride, and not having to take the earbuds and glasses and helmet off first. I can simply flip the chinbar up. With one of those bicycle bottles I could even drink and ride. Also, working at the lab now, they need to be able to see my whole face when I hand them my badge, and again, that would be much easier. Further, I wear photogray prescription bifocals but sometimes the sun comes thru between the tops of the glasses and top edge of the helmet when riding into the sun and that sux. The inner sunshade solves that issue. Plus, it's made for headsets (music, comms). So, there's a lot of pluses.

The minuses? Price, for one. Although, if it's as convenient as I think it will be on long rides, it's worth it. It's heavy, but, that's not such an issue to me. EDIT: I forgot to mention they're a little noisier (Thanks fly!). The ONLY real issue I have is.....is it safe enough? The pins I saw for the latching mechanism seemed wimpy to me. I'm trying to find some real data on chinbar impacts comparing conventional helmets and modular, to see. If I find anything, I'll post up.

Thoughts/comments? I'd love to hear from modular owners, even with other brands.

Thanks!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-2-helmet

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
All the pluses you list for the Shoei modular are absolutely correct. I have a Shoei modular (the Multitec) that I used when I had my F800ST. It was great to be able to flip it up and do all the things you say.

However...I found once I bought an RF-1100 and, later, an RF-1200, that the Shoei modular was much louder. I do have more recent custom earplugs that might mitigate that to some degree, but modulars are going to make more noise.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I have a Shoei RF1200 for the track, but I prefer my Schuberth C3 (Pro) for the street. It's quieter and let's you do all the things above, plus I have the Sena 10U bluetooth headset built in that is all internal for GPS, music, and intercom.

I use it for all my bikes, and not too worried about the modular chin piece. The times I have gone down with other helmets it has been the sides (ears) or visor that took the brunt, not the chin. I know, that's not scientific, but that's how I rationalize using it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey @CYCLE_MONKEY, being a Shoei I'm sure quality will be as good as it gets. I'm personally not a fan of flip ups, my brother had one (from a different brand) and over time the gap widened up, increasing noise and eventually the whole chin piece got wobbly which according to him became quite scary at some point, and the helmet ended up defenestrated. The Neotec is a favourite among touring riders, still I'm a full face only guy - nothing less.

i recently got a X-Spirit III (European version of the X-14), it's a superb helmet with only a few quirks. I use a camelback hydration thingy, with the flexible hose and for me there's no need to take the helmet off. As for showing your face to the guards, it's your choice whether to show them your squeezed cheeks or your messed up hair LOL. Also the helmet with the flippy visor is bigger (more drag, side force and noise). Since I don't have to change visors that often it's not something that bothers me (Shoei also has a photocromatic one).

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it'd be a totally new thing for me. I hear you guys with all the negatives, I was concerned about the same issue. Safety for me is key, as when I have hit the pavement, I DID hit the chinbar. If I remember correctly the SNELL and DOT helmet testing does NOT include those areas, and a 1-pc helmet is ALWAYS going to be stronger/stiffer.....for the same weight. So, if it was a little heavier to compensate, I'm ok as long as the safety is there. This is a year off, but I'm trying to get as much feedback now prior to a possible purchase.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you made a decision yet? I have a Schuberth C3 and thinking of upgrading to a new helmet this summer, and after having a modular, I’d definitely buy another. I’ll be considering the Neotec II, and the AGV Sport Modular. The convenience of the chinbar is something you don’t realize, until you have it. Then, it would be hard to go back to a conventional FF.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I own a C3 Pro, and an X-14. There’s definitely pros and cons to both. Fit and finish on both are extremely good. The C3P is a lot quieter than the X14. But, the X14 is heads and tails above the C3P when it comes to ventilation. Also, the detents for the face shield work much better on the X14. It also seems to me the X14 is lighter than the C3P, but I haven’t checked specs.

Personally, I don’t use the ‘flip’ as much as I thought I would. I mostly flipped for conversation, with the X14, I just don’t flip. I thought I’d flip more for photos, but I found I was just taking the whole shebang off to take a photo (DSLR).

I tried on several brands of flips before the C3P, but for me, it fit the best.

For reference, I’ve ridden about 50k with the C3P, and about 10k with the X14.

But, if I were shopping for a flip, I’d definitely check out Schuberth.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bwahahaha! Yeah, actually, I decided against it and went completely the opposite direction and got a Shoei X-Fourteen. The reason I was considering it was I work in a secure area, so the guard physically has to hold my badge in his hand and compare it to my face, and I thought the flip-up would make that easier. I got lucky today, and he didn't make me take my helmet off since I walked right up to the window and he could see enough of my face to see it was me.

One of the things I didn't like about the Neotec was that the chinbar just didn't seem strong enough for me, and in looking at helmet testing, amazingly (since your chin is the first thing that meets a car turning left into you), the chinbars are not tested from what I saw. WTF? I was then simply going to get the new RF-1200 to replace my old RF-1100, when the guy at Performance Cycle in Denver talked me into trying on the X. At first I didn't want a racing helmet since I don't race, BUT, he said one of the advantages of a racing helmet for sportbikes in general is that the faceshield opening is tilted up 5deg or so. Now, because of the shape of my head, with somewhat of a low (caveman?) forehead, my old RF sat too low sometimes, making it difficult to see when tucked in. So when I tried it on, I thought it was definitely better, but kinda balked at the $200 increase. Well, thanks to TJ at Riders Discount, when I was ordering new gloves (a-star Supertechs) he quoted me a great price for the X. After checking my RF and seeing it's manufacture date was like 6 years ago, I decided to bite the bullet since the price was so good. I've only put the 94-ish miles on it to work so far, but, if I can keep getting them at the price I did, I'll by them forever. It seems to definitely be a quieter helmet (yay, I get to hear my music better!), and for some reason the front vent on the RF ALWAYS seemed to toss grit up into my eyes. The X doesn't seem to do this at all, so that's almost worth the extra cost right there. It seems to fit tighter but not too tight, and yes some of that is because it's new, but I like the padding better and think that it's designed better. Can't talk about the effectiveness of the venting when it's hot yet (but can on the way home), but I've read the venting is more effective, and I already like it better because it keeps the grit out of my eyes. Plus, it's a pretty awesome looking helmet, even in the plain white I always get.

So, so far so good. And if, like me, you've never thought of trying a "racing" helmet because you don't race, but have experienced some of the issues I listed with the RF series, you owe it to yourself to try one on, and if you buy one, make sure to get it from TJ, he'll hook ya up! :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad you got the X14 and not the sh1t heap flip face zimmer frame edition helmet. May as well sell the RR and get a GS or RT with that crap.
Well, they wouldn't take my 'RR in trade on a Hardley-Ableson Walker-Glide, so.... :)

Hopefully by getting up close to the guard (they switch out) reading the badges they'll be able to see enough of my face to keep me from having to stop while I take the glasses, earphones, and helmet off (PITA - only to put it all back on again) while backing up traffic. 12,000 people(!!!) work here at the lab, so, the gates can get pretty backed up just in general!

I liked it so far on the way up!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just replaced a C3Pro with a Neotec 2 and like it way better then the Schuberth.
The metal parts to the chin strap of the C3P are just powder coated carbon steel and rusted pretty bad - looked nasty.
The Shoei vents way better also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts