BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, so, on my first set of tires, the OEM Supercorsas, I got 5,600 miles on the rear (after replacing the front at 2,700 miles), and on the next set of tires, I put on M7's and got 5,560 miles out of them. This 3rd set of tires (M7's), I'm looking to only get about 4,300 miles.

Now, I don't think I'm really riding any harder, so, I was wondering if a slight variation in tire compound from one batch/lot to another could account for an almost 40% difference in tire life?

But then, I had another thought: I think thru most of this set of tires, I was using User mode in the twisties (with Engine set to "Slick" but everything else set to "Race"), rather than Race mode for the other 2 sets of tires. Now, I noticed that the power reduction graph peaks are lower, sometimes not registering at all, and in User mode I think I can feel the rear sliding just a wee bit, so, I'm wondering of that has been what has drastically reduced rear tire life. I tend to think that's the cause more than a "variation" issue, because on the last M7's when I got 5,560 miles on them, the front tire was worn more than the rear, and this time it's the opposite. This would make sense.

So, I think on this next set of M7's I'm going back to "Race" mode, and will post the results. I mean, if it's not making me more comfortable/faster on the street, I'd rather get longer tire life.

Opinions on this?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I used to run slick with tc at -2. Chomped tyres quick. Im aggressive on the gas though. Not exactly trying to save my tyres. I went back to race mode as spinning and sliding does not help tyre life.
***warning dead horse kicking ahead***

-7 is slide all you want, barely any traction control, I hope you know what your doing setting right?

and

+7 is your grandma must be riding on b1tch seat behind you so ecu wont let you DREAM of even slipping the tire/ seinfield nazi !NO wheelies for YOU!

is that about right?

Im G enough i ride slick -4 on the streets...................yeah you feel my bad ass-adness( thats a word right?) yeah thought so.>:)

OP good luck with your science experiment. I just try to make em last and get the best grip at that rate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I purchased my bike with 2,7 mi on the clock, slightly over 3,5 mi now, and front and back read about 4/32. The previous owner seems like he only rode the bike straight, huge chicken strips. Just few days ago I had to get a new SP v2 for the rear, 6/32 based on my measurements, which line up with specs. Since I had 4/32 in the front, I decided just to replace the rear tire (due to puncture), and not waste money and time, as I figured that I should get another season at least from the front tire.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to run slick with tc at -2. Chomped tyres quick.
Yeah, good to see someone else noticed this. I didn't run any minus numbers, but I'll closely watch the tire life of the 3rd set of M7's in Race mode and see if it correlates with the first set.

Interesting that if it DOES work, like I expect, then then only advantage to Slick mode would be when racing, to allow the back end to step and "finish" the corner. And, since I don't race..... :)

And as far as temps, if anything, the temps are a little cooler this set, as I started them in early spring here in CO, where it doesn't get blazing hot anyway.

I'll post up the results when these are done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts