BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Please dont let this be the start of multiple issues.....sad sad 1st day riding....

23K views 313 replies 26 participants last post by  Fatal 
#1 ·
Welp, this is a first as a BMW owner....71 miles in...and below pops up. I lose all throttle input except for 1% can maybe get to 5-8mph. Let go of the throttle and the bike dies. On the phone with MAX BMW NH and setting up a time for them to come get it......went from being on top of the world to in the dumps...... Luckily it happened less than a mile away from my apartment. it really sucks pushing a brand new bike down a busy road home....

Side note what does the circle with the line through it mean? trying to find it in the manual.

See less See more
#2 ·
When you home did you try to restart the bike? This is become an issue in the UK with the last update at the dealer and the adaptive values are getting out of spec somehow while riding. So people this happen to were able to power off the bike and back on, it worked fine.

#4 ·
OK thank you @simes007us

@K67UKS1K - yup, but only after sitting for a few minutes. If i turned it off then right back on the issue would remain. I let it sit for 5 minutes (off) then powered it back on..power came back to full, no fault, then after about 100 ft it all came crashing back down.

#6 ·
I am assuming i have the latest update. I just got the bike on saturday. This was the first day riding.

Dealer did say that the bike was all updated and warranties were performed.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about that happening especially on the first day! Definitely a bummer. Hopefully that gets sorted out soon. Curious to see what the solution will be. How many miles did the bike have when you got it? Mine had 7. ( assuming they used those miles to make sure calipers weren’t leaking, make sure those seals were seating correctly ( calipers) with some good braking and no immediate issues popped up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
This is not the first one I have heard of this since the December update that is for correcting the bad startup issue. Just like I indicated, you go attacking a problem that does not exist on every K67, you are asking for possible problems to occur in another area.

Reactions: bennymx
#13 ·
WOW. Hope it's something simple that they find and I hope they fix it once and for all. My bike has software version 001_119_170
not sure if that's the latest update or not. My bike also only has 4 miles on it.

#14 ·
yea me too...the first 30 miles into work went perfect! this issue didnt appear at all until a mile from my place...ill check the version number when i get back down to the bike in the AM..I was aiming for 100 miles today...ended up at 61, sad day

#16 ·
Well i hope your first ride is smoother than mine. Seriously though this bike is amazing even without the suspension setup for me and with the limiter in place. Its a great bike...just....bad luck i guess for me.

#21 ·
on a side note - kind of a request if BMW is watching...on the mobile app...if you have a technical issue that throws a code. Make it so you can pull up the error on your mobile device. Would be fantastic!

#24 ·
The twist throttle is based on an adaptation value that is programmed in by ISTA. I have seen in person the drop off and zero response you are referring to. On that K67 the throttle started working again after it was turned off and sat for about 10 minutes. Not sure that just simply turning off and right back on would have worked as it was not tried. Hopefully the dealer will just calibrate the twist throttle and you will not see the problem again. I really dont see how they can do much more than that.

#25 ·
i gotcha ty for the input.

Yeah i did try to turn it off and on. no dice. Off and sit for 5-10 did work but then the issue came back.

It sounds like a quick fix vs a hardware failure then.

#26 ·
The dealer can reset the twist grip adaptation value. See how it goes from there. If it plays up again, they can replace the twist grip and also check the connector and pins. Otherwise it's a software glitch. But since it is not widespread, I doubt thats the case. Most likely to do with your specific bike. There will be fault codes stored anyway. They should be able to diagnose it quickly.

#29 ·
What usually is happening in these situations where a glitch occurs is that the hardware is put into a situation that missed testing at the factory. Which means that the problem can be there for every K67 with XXX code version, however it just will not show up for everyone because the same conditions were not met.

first one I was told about was on a racetrack and downshifting with high RPM result, no throttle trying to pick the speed back up.
second one was on the street and hit a rise in the road, slight wheelie, downshift enough to get into upper RPM's, make a corner and pick up the throttle, but no response.
Now yours. Does not sound like you were in any of these situations. The limiter is still in place, I would think you are just mostly riding it hard enough to break it in, but you are limited to 9200 RPM and 123MPH.
The only common thing about these 3 events is that all were updated with the December code release. I am sure BMW is just like Apple. They tell you about 2 or 3 details of the update when it can in fact be updating 50 things. The result is events that occur because something was missed in testing and someone found the issue in the real world.

I have found that adaptations some how change in the ECU under use. The 15/16 code was the worse. I reset my adaptations right before a track day or race and had much better shifting and smoother throttle response. The 17/18/19 ECU was really good. I seldom felt the need to reset the adaptations on it. The 20 is still changing so much in coding it is difficult to tell what is working or hurting it.

Reactions: A B and Kiev1981
#30 ·
Yeah i was stopped at a redlight when it happened. Before that no issues, then when the light changed from red to green and I gave it throttle I got the check engine light and no power.

Dealer picked the bike up at 9am this morning. Will hopefully hear back soon.

#31 ·
Dealer update: They found a software update that needed to be performed that the bike was lacking, they believe this update will resolve the issue. Apparently the bike had version K001-19-11-510 and they are installing to the next version *-511?
No hardware failures were found.

@BMW_388 - is this what you were referring to as the Dec update version (511)?

#46 ·
511 just came out in the last 2 weeks. It will of course have the December update.

There was two releases of 510.

#32 ·
Welp, this is a first as a BMW owner....71 miles in...and below pops up. I lose all throttle input except for 1% can maybe get to 5-8mph. Let go of the throttle and the bike dies. On the phone with MAX BMW NH and setting up a time for them to come get it......went from being on top of the world to in the dumps...... Luckily it happened less than a mile away from my apartment. it really sucks pushing a brand new bike down a busy road home....

Side note what does the circle with the line through it mean? trying to find it in the manual.

View attachment 209724
I received the same fault when I had less than 50 miles on mine. Thankfully I was already on the way to the dealer to pick something up I had ordered.

The service guy immediately hooked it up to their diagnostics, said something about a fuel pump alert, and cleared it. The dealer contacted BMW who they said it had been seen before in some brand new bikes - I forgot the technical explanation - but it doesn't tend to return. He told me that they would replace the fuel pump if the problem reoccurred. It never did, and I forgot about it till seeing this post since it was such a nothing event.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.