BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Please dont let this be the start of multiple issues.....sad sad 1st day riding....

23K views 313 replies 26 participants last post by  Fatal 
#1 ·
Welp, this is a first as a BMW owner....71 miles in...and below pops up. I lose all throttle input except for 1% can maybe get to 5-8mph. Let go of the throttle and the bike dies. On the phone with MAX BMW NH and setting up a time for them to come get it......went from being on top of the world to in the dumps...... Luckily it happened less than a mile away from my apartment. it really sucks pushing a brand new bike down a busy road home....

Side note what does the circle with the line through it mean? trying to find it in the manual.

See less See more
#34 ·
Do yourself a favor and siphon some fuel from the deepest part of your tank and take a look at it. I documented my issues with my bike dying on me and the fuel pump issue in this forum. I was the only case at that time. Ultimately, I believe that when I got the bike it had bad fuel in it, as I did not have the problem with my other bike which I fueled at all the same locations. The fuel that came out of my bike from the deepest part of the tank looked shitty,

#41 ·
With small engines sometimes I test the fuel. Some engines run like crap on fuel that has over 10% ethanol. We often call it bad gas. Pour the gas out of the tank, drain the carb bowl, pour in fresh gas and it runs as it should.

#42 ·
out of curiosity..if it was bad fuel or a bad pump. Wouldnt i have received a different fault code? or it would have been consistently bad throughout the tank? The bike literally ran perfectly until i stopped at the red light and then it ran well again after i let it sit for 5 minutes (fault did return eventually).

Never experienced bad fuel before so kinda learning from you guys what to look out for.

#56 ·
out of curiosity..if it was bad fuel or a bad pump. Wouldnt i have received a different fault code? or it would have been consistently bad throughout the tank? The bike literally ran perfectly until i stopped at the red light and then it ran well again after i let it sit for 5 minutes (fault did return eventually).

Never experienced bad fuel before so kinda learning from you guys what to look out for.
It is pretty easy for you to check. It might be just programming, however, considering how easy it is I would do it to rule it out. Mine did almost the same thing as yours. It was running fine and then just shut down. And, I got the exact same error code. When they drained the tank it did not look good.

#44 ·
'they said they are done with the work but want to extensively test it before giving it back. So they are waiting for non rainy/snowy weather. I expect tues/wed? Unless they go out riding tomorrow. Which I hope they dont, 22 deg weather. Freezing tires, freezing road, plus and most importantly the rider freezing. No bueno.

Reactions: A B
#54 ·
In general, you should never by a product which contains complex software, and has been on the markets less than a year. Companies are not trying to make good product, they are trying to make money. And that is why all products are released as fast as they can (limited RnD costs)/ when they have reached some level of maturity (limited testing costs)/ are accepted by company's "quality" standards (limited return rate).
So the final testing is done by users. (And at the same time company is also testing and patching the sw on their own.)
And some errors will be found.
And the company makes a new version of the sw. To fix the errors found by them and by users.
And then product receives a sw update. Which includes factory patches and fixes to errors found by users.
And the final testing is of sw update is yet again done by users.
The original error is fixed, but because they have changed multiple things in the sw, some other errors might arise.
Etc.
And this cycle goes on for a while.
That is why you never know if it is a good thing or a bad thing to update the sw in the products you have.
Usually it takes about a year or so, after a public launch, for a product to reach a such maturity level that most of the hidden errors are found and patched.
I have worked with sw RnD... Nowadays I design steel structures. :]

#60 ·
guess I'll have to wait until my first service to find out what version I have. Hopefully I don't run into any issues until then. i still haven't turned the bike on. It's currently 19 degrees out. Tomorrows high is only 30 degrees.

#66 ·
Mine has been in the service for 3+ weeks now, waiting for replacement calipers. Service tells me they do not get any word from BMW when they would get parts. So no one knows when I get it back, if ever. I have been trying to get a word from bmw on my own for 3 weeks now and it looks like CS just does not exist at all. Nobody has ever answered to me.

I already waited 2 months with delivery because of the oil cooler recall. I had the bike with me for 2 weeks when I noticed the calipers. Then I had to take it to the service on my own and have not seen it since then.
And now reading that they mess up the ECU with updates is just crap I do not need. I need a motorcycle that works. bmw has only given me problems, bad treatment and missed trackdays. And I have just had enough of that.
So I am going to either get my money back (not really possible in Europe) or trade it in for something else that works.

#68 ·
Is there another dealer near you? Have you asked your dealer to call other dealers to see if they have them in stock? It was explained that updates “could” screw something else up, not that it 100% does. Thats true for any brand that does a software update. Honestly I think you’re safe keeping the bike. I understand your frustration.

#69 ·
issues happen no matter what the bike. I waited a year from my deposit and my first ride resulted in a trip back to the shop. BMW is taking care of me so i am not too upset but i am frustrated. It is what it is.

However, with your dealership, they should be able to get answers or give an eta i believe. Does your country have a lemon law or consumer protection laws that you can use to apply pressure?

Even with these issues, i am still 100% satisfied with my purchase. I am looking forward to getting her back and eventually on the track.

#70 ·
issues happen no matter what the bike. I waited a year from my deposit and my first ride resulted in a trip back to the shop. BMW is taking care of me so i am not too upset but i am frustrated. It is what it is.

However, with your dealership, they should be able to get answers or give an eta i believe. Does your country have a lemon law or consumer protection laws that you can use to apply pressure?

Even with these issues, i am still 100% satisfied with my purchase. I am looking forward to getting her back and eventually on the track.
Hopefully you have your girl back this week. It’s 40° out right now. I’m so tempted to put my freeze out gear on and take mine for a spin around the block.

#72 ·
Nice. I did take her out for a spin. I went to go visit my kids. Got the bike with 4 miles I currently have 13 miles on her. The freeze out gear definitely helped a lot. I put on Carhart longjohns and then the freeze out gear and then my leather suit. I could feel that it was cold but nothing touched my skin. Felt good to go riding but I had to keep reminding myself that it was 40° out

#84 ·
I got this twice the last time as last night. I'm talking to my dealership and wanted to find out if it was a software fix then?
I rode my bike around yesterday in the 20 degree weather and it was all running great. Then pulled into my driveway and sitting on the running bike and it popped up. Turned the bike off and then back on and it went away?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.