BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
With small engines sometimes I test the fuel. Some engines run like crap on fuel that has over 10% ethanol. We often call it bad gas. Pour the gas out of the tank, drain the carb bowl, pour in fresh gas and it runs as it should.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
out of curiosity..if it was bad fuel or a bad pump. Wouldnt i have received a different fault code? or it would have been consistently bad throughout the tank? The bike literally ran perfectly until i stopped at the red light and then it ran well again after i let it sit for 5 minutes (fault did return eventually).

Never experienced bad fuel before so kinda learning from you guys what to look out for.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The issue you had does not sound like bad fuel at all. Sounds like a software issue as bmw388 stated and the dealer. Did they say when you'll get your bike back?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The issue you had does not sound like bad fuel at all. Sounds like a software issue as bmw388 stated and the dealer. Did they say when you'll get your bike back?
'they said they are done with the work but want to extensively test it before giving it back. So they are waiting for non rainy/snowy weather. I expect tues/wed? Unless they go out riding tomorrow. Which I hope they dont, 22 deg weather. Freezing tires, freezing road, plus and most importantly the rider freezing. No bueno.

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
Dealer update: They found a software update that needed to be performed that the bike was lacking, they believe this update will resolve the issue. Apparently the bike had version K001-19-11-510 and they are installing to the next version *-511?
No hardware failures were found.

@BMW_388 - is this what you were referring to as the Dec update version (511)?
511 just came out in the last 2 weeks. It will of course have the December update.

There was two releases of 510.

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
Do they publish the changelog somewhere?
The changelog is not published to the public. Even what the dealers get is limited on information as to what the update covers. Most of the service people I talk to at the dealers are not even aware of all the stuff I know in a release. Really be nice if there was a detailed change log.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The changelog is not published to the public. Even what the dealers get is limited on information as to what the update covers. Most of the service people I talk to at the dealers are not even aware of all the stuff I know in a release. Really be nice if there was a detailed change log.
From your perspective, what has changed in 511?

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
From your perspective, what has changed in 511?

I just went and looked up the current release. it is 512. I had not noticed BMW skipped 511. There is already 2 releases of 512 now.

I will have to pull my version notes and see what is posted in there tomorrow. Sometimes there is info worth reading, most of the time there is not.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
it seems like BMW releases these pretty often. Are they worth checking in with the dealer every few weeks to get the system updated?

·
Registered
786 Posts
it seems like BMW releases these pretty often. Are they worth checking in with the dealer every few weeks to get the system updated?
In general, you should never by a product which contains complex software, and has been on the markets less than a year. Companies are not trying to make good product, they are trying to make money. And that is why all products are released as fast as they can (limited RnD costs)/ when they have reached some level of maturity (limited testing costs)/ are accepted by company's "quality" standards (limited return rate).
So the final testing is done by users. (And at the same time company is also testing and patching the sw on their own.)
And some errors will be found.
And the company makes a new version of the sw. To fix the errors found by them and by users.
And then product receives a sw update. Which includes factory patches and fixes to errors found by users.
And the final testing is of sw update is yet again done by users.
The original error is fixed, but because they have changed multiple things in the sw, some other errors might arise.
Etc.
And this cycle goes on for a while.
That is why you never know if it is a good thing or a bad thing to update the sw in the products you have.
Usually it takes about a year or so, after a public launch, for a product to reach a such maturity level that most of the hidden errors are found and patched.
I have worked with sw RnD... Nowadays I design steel structures. :]

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just went and looked up the current release. it is 512. I had not noticed BMW skipped 511. There is already 2 releases of 512 now.

I will have to pull my version notes and see what is posted in there tomorrow. Sometimes there is info worth reading, most of the time there is not.
What happens if I have a custom fuel map in ECU and I ask a dealer to upgrade the software? Would the upgrade erase the fuel map or is it stored separately in the ECU?

·
Registered
410 Posts
out of curiosity..if it was bad fuel or a bad pump. Wouldnt i have received a different fault code? or it would have been consistently bad throughout the tank? The bike literally ran perfectly until i stopped at the red light and then it ran well again after i let it sit for 5 minutes (fault did return eventually).

Never experienced bad fuel before so kinda learning from you guys what to look out for.
It is pretty easy for you to check. It might be just programming, however, considering how easy it is I would do it to rule it out. Mine did almost the same thing as yours. It was running fine and then just shut down. And, I got the exact same error code. When they drained the tank it did not look good.

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
What happens if I have a custom fuel map in ECU and I ask a dealer to upgrade the software? Would the upgrade erase the fuel map or is it stored separately in the ECU?

It depends on what the update is. Lets say there is an update to correct the HSC - Hill Start Control ( update September had this update ). That only updated the EEPROM code and KOMBI ( cluster ) . So this update would not update the MAPS and TABLES side of the ECU coding.

Now lets say the update is for the startup / idle issue fix attempt. First attempt was late September and second attempt was December. This updates the tables and maps code which is fully wrote ( 4meg size memory area ). Any changes made by handheld, BDM, or whatever put a custom map in there will be over written.

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
Updates are not always good.

Lets look at performance. OEM's have already been caught selling a new car that runs like a bat out of hell for the first 10K miles. Then you get this recall notice for something like a ABS brake software update. That is a safety issue in most people's mind and they rush down to the dealer for the update. Now while the ISTA software is reading your mileage it determines you are at 10K miles or more and there is an update to the engine ECU. That update pulls power from the ECU coding because in the factory testing it found that at 0-10K miles the engine can handle 200HP. However with the stress on the valve train it is determined that the HP needs to be dropped down for the reminder of the warranty period to 192HP. Now you have lost 8HP with the update because the factory decided it needed to be detuned after it reaches 10k miles.

Do not rush into getting an update unless you are ready for a positive or a negative. BMW dealers cannot roll an ECU back to a previous code version. I can. I can put an ECU at any update released for the BMW Motorrad product. I did alot of testing just to see if my butt dyno can detect a better code version over another in 2016 on the BMSX ECU. There is over 35 OSID updates for the BMSX ECU over its 2 year period of use in the 15/16 year models. There is already 12 for for the K67 BMSO ECU, but what most people dont know and understand is that the code for the BMSO hit the ISTA network in 2018.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It depends on what the update is. Lets say there is an update to correct the HSC - Hill Start Control ( update September had this update ). That only updated the EEPROM code and KOMBI ( cluster ) . So this update would not update the MAPS and TABLES side of the ECU coding.

Now lets say the update is for the startup / idle issue fix attempt. First attempt was late September and second attempt was December. This updates the tables and maps code which is fully wrote ( 4meg size memory area ). Any changes made by handheld, BDM, or whatever put a custom map in there will be over written.
Thank you! It was useful

·
Registered
754 Posts
guess I'll have to wait until my first service to find out what version I have. Hopefully I don't run into any issues until then. i still haven't turned the bike on. It's currently 19 degrees out. Tomorrows high is only 30 degrees.

41 - 60 of 164 Posts