BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Six2one, congrats on the purchase buddy! this is one sweet bike.

Quick question for you tho, I rode one this past weekend in the local canyons and found the one and only thing I did not like about the bike. I noticed that the bike's handlebar buzzed a lot. Its not as pronounced as my KTM thumper..., but its more pronounced than my S1000RR.

I did some searches on-line and found a couple reviews where the vibration in the handlebar is noticed, but it appears from these reviews that the buzz goes away past 5k rpm? When I was riding it this weekend, I wasn't really paying much attention to the tach, so I cannot say if the buzz was more pronounced at a certain rpm range.

Have you noticed the buzzy handlebars? If so, do you only feel it in certain rpm range?
Yes! This is accurate! Although I will have to validate which engine speeds are worse.

I notice some buzzing, and I think it may be due to the type of bars on this bike.

I was paying pretty close attention to it, and another thing I noticed is that the left mirror vibrates a bit more than the right. Which is likely because the right mirror mount is on the solid mount master cylinder and the left mirror is only mounted to the clutch lever with less weight.

It's not too terrible in my opinion, but I am almost certain this can be almost entirely remedied by heavier bar ends. The ends that are on there have to weigh almost nothing at all, and that may also be a reason for this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm seriously considering swapping my RR for the XR in the coming months, so hopefully shots/bb's/heavier bar ends will dampen the vibrations.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, had the first tangible failure today.

Was leaving work and the D-ESA warning popped up and the suspension went into hardcore mode.

I'll have to get the dealer to check this out. There was ~240mls on the clock when the fault occurred.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was at the dealer today for the initial service on my RR and was playing around with the gs and xr. If I could only have one bike and needed more comfort and touring capabilities I'd go with the xr but if I could have two it would definitely be the gs and the RR.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Figured it out.

As we know, D-ESA measures a bunch of stuff on the bike, some of which is front and rear movement, swingarm articulation, etc.

I figured the simplest part in this entire thing would be the swingarm position potentiometer, I was correct:

The part that locks onto the shock came off somehow. I think the most likely cause was that it wasn't all the way tight from the factory or prep (not sure which).

I bet it works fine next ride.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Great looking bike and it's getting great reviews. However, I tried sitting on one, this bike isn't for the short people:nerd:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you had a chance to check the rear seat comfort? I am looking between XR and GS for 2up and seems like XRs rear seat is a little thin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have you had a chance to check the rear seat comfort? I am looking between XR and GS for 2up and seems like XRs rear seat is a little thin.
have not had a chance to check passenger comfort yet, but the seat has a good shape to it and seems like it would be rather comfortable. I've been keeping the riding on the XR to the minimum because my level sensor linkage is currently missing which means the suspension will not operate properly or adjust for a passenger.

i was notified the part finally arrived so i should have more on that soon enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rode an S1000XR this weekend.

I was disappointed in the clutch and how wide it is.

I am a short stumpy guy (5'8"), but that's not a problem.

The bike is really wide.

I was hoping that it would be narrower like the S1000R or the S1000RR.

The clutch action is not what I like, not enough torque off the bottom end to just let the clutch out.

Not my idea of fun slipping the clutch while the engine is turning 4500+ RPM's.

Perhaps it was just me, I didn't care for it.

The engine was awesome once the clutch was out and the bike, while wide for me, was super comfortable and handled nice about 20 mph or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guns - The clutch action is different (especially coming from a v-twin), and I thought the same about getting away, but after 1,500km, I have got used to it. I find a two phased twist of the throttle works well as the clutch is engaged, and I have even started in second gear without a problem. I was initially skeptical and was concerned that it would be a pain in the rear in commuting type traffic but now it is no problem. I have even had it loaded with gear and a pillion, and riding the clutch isn't necessary. It's just a matter of becoming accustomed to the clutch-throttle interaction.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts