BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info please

I'm working on a larger writeup on this thing since I know many will be interested in these. But basically it's pretty incredible so far.

The short version is that this is a street oriented adventure bike with a superbike motor.

And the result of that is exactly as you would expect.

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
First one we've seen on here. I'm sure it will be a good review since you have a S1000RR to compare it against.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If the terminal goal of the "S1000" line of bikes is outright riding and handling performance, this bike delivers on that promise.

I did a 2300 mile trip down to the dragon with my RR and it was a bit...rough.

This bike is fit for that purpose almost exactly.

Some quick random facts:

1) i was told all initial bikes are loaded, I wouldn't advise anyone to get anything less than a loaded one.

2) the panniers for the red model are actually about $18.00 more expensive than the grey ones for the white.

3) the dealers have some kind of allocation system where they get one initially and then can place orders for depot bikes or something to that effect.

4) the valve stems are in the wheel spoke, and it's awesome:

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433713916.475124.jpg

5) the seat is great, and also 1pc:

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433713951.793180.jpg

*note the battery orientation*

Seat removal is via key in the rear of the bike under the luggage rack and above the light.

6) msrp for the loaded ones (you want this model)

7) HAND GUARDS ARE NOT INCLUDED ($150 option)

8) relative peg position vs mk2 RR:

*i lined them up as best as I could on the swingarm pivots*

9) dashboard comparison

XR:

mk2 RR:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to taking one for a ride

I made the mistake of sitting on it. The closest thing I've sat on that sorta describes the perceived tank width of where your legs are at, is probably the RC8. It doesn't feel quite that narrow, but you are basically wearing the bike when you sit on it and are hooked in like a tick.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Awesome bike! Love it in white! Seems to be best color scheme on it!

Just got my S1K but now I am jonesing over a 1200GSA these BMW bikes are to good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Awesome bike! Love it in white! Seems to be best color scheme on it!

Just got my S1K but now I am jonesing over a 1200GSA these BMW bikes are to good.

I actually was considering a gsa. The difference in price from that bike and this bike is only a few thousand.

The XR with nav and bags is about the same as a gsa with no nav or bags.

My girl took a ride on my RR once and I'm lucky the relationship lasted the day, so passenger comfort was a relative priority this time which is why I was almost on a GSA.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually was considering a gsa. The difference in price from that bike and this bike is only a few thousand.

The XR with nav and bags is about the same as a gsa with no nav or bags.

My girl took a ride on my RR once and I'm lucky the relationship lasted the day, so passenger comfort was a relative priority this time which is why I was almost on a GSA.
Funny you say that. I actually got the rear comfort seat on my S1K for my girl and she still says its awful to ride on. Dealer wouldn't let me demo ride even though I have been riding for 12+ years. So that was kinda a let down. I kinda wanted to enjoy it with her but such is life. I am going try try to pull of the strap and see if that helps but its like stapled and glued down.

I just have resorted to using my Honda VFR for pillon duty.

Beautiful bike man!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I realized a feature I liked on the mk2 RR is missing from the XR: the speed "limiter" warning and shift light integration. I guess I just expected to always see that moving forward.

You can get this pseudo functionality via the nav unit, but its not like the RR.

I hope anyone considering this bike has a good lawyer, because you might as well ride it straight to jail. I had to set the cruise at 89 just to keep it under control, this gazelle wants to run.

At 70mph its at 5k, at 80ish its at ~6k...right in the beginning meat of the torque. This thing will just absolutely leap forward in 6th gear roll-on from 70.

If you are just cruising at 70 its nice and docile at 5k... but if you start pushing it around 80 it starts to want to take off on you and keep going...and going...and going.

The bikes casual "happy" speed is about 95mph...less than that and you feel like you are sitting still its so smooth.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to own a zx10 which all the fastener hardware was basically made of crushed beer cans and fail.

All the bolts wanted to strip, constant fighting with rubber locking nuts, inside rearset snapping in half while knee down in a turn, stripping out the swingarm energy transfer plate trying to remove stock pipe, header bolts stripping, etc. You just knew it was going to be annoying every time you put a wrench on it.

That's one of the bigger reasons I went with the RR, I was done screwing around with substandard hardware and wanted the machine to be maintainable without constant compromise and misery.

At that point the RR had the best hardware out of any jap bike I have ever ridden or owned:

The XR impressed me even more when I immediately noticed these while I inspected it on the dealer floor:

I'm not familiar if any other models have these (I assume they do), but my mk2 RR does not.

These should be on every bike, nice finishing touch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Six2one, congrats on the purchase buddy! this is one sweet bike.

Quick question for you tho, I rode one this past weekend in the local canyons and found the one and only thing I did not like about the bike. I noticed that the bike's handlebar buzzed a lot. Its not as pronounced as my KTM thumper..., but its more pronounced than my S1000RR.

I did some searches on-line and found a couple reviews where the vibration in the handlebar is noticed, but it appears from these reviews that the buzz goes away past 5k rpm? When I was riding it this weekend, I wasn't really paying much attention to the tach, so I cannot say if the buzz was more pronounced at a certain rpm range.

Have you noticed the buzzy handlebars? If so, do you only feel it in certain rpm range?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts