BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a two-piece leather suit. These things are such a large investment I want to buy once and not worry. I live in SoCal, riding is warm 3 months out of the year. The rest is cold. With perforated leather, I can always layer up underneath. With non-perf, I worry I might be stuck in a sauna suit. What do you guys like?

·
Administrator
7,138 Posts
Perforated, for the exact reason you stated. Or you can pull on your Frog Toggs jacket over the leather, it stops the wind and keeps the heat in.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
Why are you thinking about a 2 piece suit? Most 2 piece suits you can’t wear the jacket by itself cause they are too short.

And I would definitely go perf. Easy to layer up. Or throw a hoodie over if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,688 Posts
Dainese makes great perforated separates. I like the option of wearing just the jacket. You can always layer up. There are electric vests available.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Why are you thinking about a 2 piece suit? Most 2 piece suits you can’t wear the jacket by itself cause they are too short.

And I would definitely go perf. Easy to layer up. Or throw a hoodie over if needed.

For my 14 yr-old a-stars 2-pc, the jacket can be worn alone because the leather covering the full-circumference zipper (making it legal for track days) hangs down a couple inches below the waist and covers the zipper. So, while not being as long as some jackets, it's plenty long enough for me to wear alone.

And as for why getting a 2-pc? One time (thankfully only once!) something I'd eaten for lunch gave me a major case of the sh!ts about 20min after I'd eaten it....of course in the middle of [email protected]<cking nowhere (Granby), and I was lucky to barely make it to a BLM park bathroom (very nice outhouse building actually) in time to take my jacket off, drop trou, and make like a Saturn V rocket! I bought the 2-pc for the versatility since I use it almost exclusively for the street, in case I have to suddenly (God forbid) take said sh!te behind a bush or tree or something. Thankfully something I've never had to do. In a 1-pc, I'd be worried about sh!tting all over the leathers because I couldn't get them far enough away. With the 2-pc, just take the jacket off, and drop trou as needed. I've also had to take non-emergency sh!tes in a gas station bathroom when on the road wearing them, and it's SO much easier than I'd imagine a 1-pc would be.

I can't imagine having a 1pc unless it was for racing/trackdays only. For the street, never.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

For my 14 yr-old a-stars 2-pc, the jacket can be worn alone because the leather covering the full-circumference zipper (making it legal for track days) hangs down a couple inches below the waist and covers the zipper. So, while not being as long as some jackets, it's plenty long enough for me to wear alone.

And as for why getting a 2-pc? One time (thankfully only once!) something I'd eaten for lunch gave me a major case of the sh!ts about 20min after I'd eaten it....of course in the middle of [email protected]<cking nowhere (Granby), and I was lucky to barely make it to a BLM park bathroom (very nice outhouse building actually) in time to take my jacket off, drop trou, and make like a Saturn V rocket! I bought the 2-pc for the versatility since I use it almost exclusively for the street, in case I have to suddenly (God forbid) take said sh!te behind a bush or tree or something. Thankfully something I've never had to do. In a 1-pc, I'd be worried about sh!tting all over the leathers because I couldn't get them far enough away. With the 2-pc, just take the jacket off, and drop trou as needed. I've also had to take non-emergency sh!tes in a gas station bathroom when on the road wearing them, and it's SO much easier than I'd imagine a 1-pc would be.

I can't imagine having a 1pc unless it was for racing/trackdays only. For the street, never.
I'm looking at Dainese gear currently on sale for Black Friday. I like the separate, zip-together jacket and pants combo. Hoping jacket will be long enough to wear seperately

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
I'm looking at Dainese gear currently on sale for Black Friday. I like the separate, zip-together jacket and pants combo. Hoping jacket will be long enough to wear seperately
What I did was buy a jacket and pants separately. With the black pants I can mix up a few different jackets options. Both perf and non perf jackets.

But try a 2 piece jacket by itself and see how it fits. Some styles are a bit different. But most 2 piece suits have higher pants to avoid the bunching at the waist when tucked.

Reactions: Cutter

·
Registered
2011 S1000rr
43 Posts
I like my 2 piece Alpinestars GP Pro R v2. I live in Florida and the summers are hot. Gives a really good wind flow. Winters I just wear freeze out gear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the color schemes I want are sold out. I found some stuff from Dainese that's doable, the Super Speed 3 Jacket and the Delta C3/Misano pants. I wish they didn't have any white, is it possible to take this to a leatherworker and have them change the colors?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Most of the color schemes I want are sold out. I found some stuff from Dainese that's doable, the Super Speed 3 Jacket and the Delta C3/Misano pants. I wish they didn't have any white, is it possible to take this to a leatherworker and have them change the colors?
Not worth the money, AND, since they aren't used to doing racing leathers (unless they're specifically a racing leathers shop), the stitching may not be strong enough. who wants new leathers that may come apart??? Best not to F with it.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
another vote for perf'd for sure unless you're in the article circle. even with perf'd alpine stars 1 pc i almost heat stroked on COTA in August a few years ago. The Dianese i have now breathes awesome. i just ordered some Dcore from dianese to see how that stuff works for cold weather riding.

for me, i had the dianese modified. they took the zipper down lower, made more, bigger pockets inside, and changed the large cuffs over the boot to leaner inside the boot and love it now.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If I still used leathers, I'd be using an Aerostich Transit 2-Piece leather suit; they're very perforated, the leather is treated to not soak up water, and they are Gore-Tex waterproof. I've owned two sets, one I outgrew and another that I crashed in at 100 mph with no compromise of the leathers until they had to cut off the jacket because of a broken shoulder blade. For awhile, they were not available, but they are now as the Transit 3 version. Above 85 F, I wore Transit leathers for track days with no problem given the 20 minute riding, 40 minute resting, track cycles, but I found them too warm for day long rides. I don't use them anymore because...

I wanted a single system that worked 24/7/365 from 20 to 120 F. For that, I use a Motoport Quad Amored Kevlar Mesh/Stretch 2-piece suit. I ordered them custom sized for me so I can layer warmth under it and rain gear over it. When it's hot, I wear an Under Armour t-shirt and shorts under the Motoport suit and it feels almost like I'm riding in just t-shirt and shorts. When it's cold, I layer long underwear, a Warm and Safe Heated Layer Shirt, Aerostich's TLTec pullover & pants and/or Buff Polar neck gaiter. I've rode comfortably in them from 20 - 105 F. With my Inuteq dry evaporative cooling vest, I'm sure I can go above 105 F, but I haven't had that situation yet. Every track operator I've asked allows them for track days. P.S. I wear a Hit-Air vest 24/7/365 over the Motoport because the Hit-Air vest, unlike any other air vest I've tried, does not compromise airflow to/thru the Motorport.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you have non-leather perforated by a leather worker?

This Avro D2 says its a 2 piece suit. Does that mean the jacket and pants zip together? Good for just cruising one day, or is the jacket going to be too short?

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Can you have non-leather perforated by a leather worker?

This Avro D2 says its a 2 piece suit. Does that mean the jacket and pants zip together? Good for just cruising one day, or is the jacket going to be too short?

you can easily poke holes in leather with a simple tool from a leather shop. i have one back here. It's what's behind it. I.e. if there are liners, pads, etc., you have to be careful in those areas, but if it's just a piece of leather, sure you can poke holes in it. ideally small enough that surface tension will keep water drops from getting in if possible.

i'd think a 2 pc suit somewhat implies zip together, but if it doesn't say specifically, i would ask the supplier to be sure before buying. things are heavy and cost $ to ship. i hate my jacket coming up in back like a lot of riders. 1 pc works for me, never had a zipable set.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would always get a single or two piece suit perforated, unless you live in the far north where its ever warm in summer.
If on a track tucked in you wont have the wind blowing through you anyways. If on the street just a windbreaker over it on chilly days will do the trick.
For really cold days you need more inside and out anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts