BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Would like to get opinions on something. Plan on purchasing a base model S1000RR. Is it worth the extra money to ad the forged wheels if I plan on putting BST carbon wheels on? Haven't ridden one with the stock wheels vs the forged. Not sure if later when don't ht3 road when selling it would make a difference or not. Would appreciate any input on this.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,861 Posts
Well the forged do handle a lot better than cast plus you get upgraded 5mm discs on the forged where as the cast come with 4.5mm. But to be honest, if you are going to fit BST, then get upgraded discs to go with them. No point going for forged if you gonna remove them. You could sell them to people though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Didn't know if would be better to have the forged due if I sell it later people would want the forged for tack use if need be.

·
9,189 Posts
I would get it with forged, cheaper to get them with initial sale. You can sell them for more money than what you pay for, keep thicker rotors.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
As Benny said, its definitely worth getting the forged, its $1700 more than base model and you'll get the better rotors. Those wheels are worth a bit more if you sold, willing to bet the price will stay or go up even further given the amount of base models bmw is cranking out for 2022.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs. I will probably go that route. Did't realize you could sell the forged rims for that much more. Looking at a deal with them from a Dealer inn North Carolina. Seems it's pretty hard to find a new 1000RR with out all the electronics on it now. Donn't see many base models for sale especially with the forged wheels.

·
Registered
BMW S1000XR 2022, Ducati Desert Sled 2018, Ducati MTS 950 2017(sold), Honda VFR 2007(sold)
138 Posts
Assuming you have done your research on Carbon Fiber rims, you plan on using this as a track bike or you just have very smooth roads to ride on? I'll take forged over cast or carbon, every single day and twice on sunday.
What has your past experience been on cast and forged wheels on your previous bikes?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thanks for the inputs. I will probably go that route. Did't realize you could sell the forged rims for that much more. Looking at a deal with them from a Dealer inn North Carolina. Seems it's pretty hard to find a new 1000RR with out all the electronics on it now. Donn't see many base models for sale especially with the forged wheels.
Because its pretty much a racer's special. Most sold like that are ordered by people who swap the forks for ohlins. The dealer i found mine at actually had a motorsport with no electronics, carbon wheels, no heated grips/ddc etc msrp $21,890.00

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the inputs. Found a Mineral Grey one probably going to pull the trigger on. Mai thing with the rims was if paying the extra now make it better on down the road to sell. Not worried with the BST's for street riding. Had a pair on my R1 I had and loved them. one of the best things I bought for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts