BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 rr
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked on some grass at a country farm/eatery and thought the soil was firm. 20 minutes later some other riders came in, they had picked up my bike and put a rock under the sidestand. Which I should have done @#*&^#
Anyway there is no damage to anything critical, well designed hey, just having trouble getting the tail right as it popped out a bit. It actually brushed a steel sign post as it came down. I had met a girl on the side of the road and she asked me up to the eatery for a coffee, I followed her up and parked beside her, that's my excuse for the total brainlessness surounding this mistake.

I pulled out the two lower screws and the two obvious ones for the top plate and it will click back together ok but as soon as I start to screw that RH one back in it pops again? There are two other screws, hidden inside the tail that will allow me to pull the whole top panel off, Hard to get to though. Anyway I thought I'd post this up first for any comments on the procedure first, and any ideas as to buffing out the mild scarfs in the photos below.

Also I let it sit for another 20 minutes before I started it so the oil would go back where it should be and on starting it made a bit of tappety noise but that went away quickly.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I parked on some grass at a country farm/eatery and thought the soil was firm. 20 minutes later some other riders came in, they had picked up my bike and put a rock under the sidestand. Which I should have done @#*&^#
Anyway there is no damage to anything critical, well designed hey, just having trouble getting the tail right as it popped out a bit. It actually brushed a steel sign post as it came down. I had met a girl on the side of the road and she asked me up to the eatery for a coffee, I followed her up and parked beside her, that's my excuse for the total brainlessness surounding this mistake.

I pulled out the two lower screws and the two obvious ones for the top plate and it will click back together ok but as soon as I start to screw that RH one back in it pops again? There are two other screws, hidden inside the tail that will allow me to pull the whole top panel off, Hard to get to though. Anyway I thought I'd post this up first for any comments on the procedure first, and any ideas as to buffing out the mild scarfs in the photos below.

Also I let it sit for another 20 minutes before I started it so the oil would go back where it should be and on starting it made a bit of tappety noise but that went away quickly.
Thanks for reading.
Oh man, sorry to hear about your new ride falling over like that! Glad the damage is minimal. And hey, maybe it's good for some sympathy points from the girl!

·
Registered
2017 rr
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It ended pretty well under the circumstances. :)
Yeah, it was soft ground and lush grass and the tank or fairings or cases made no contact. I doubt the scuffs will bother me. Good reminder not to make stupid Noob mistakes.
Oh man, sorry to hear about your new ride falling over like that! Glad the damage is minimal. And hey, maybe it's good for some sympathy points from the girl!
HA, Fu*k her. :mad: I left her there feeling bad for me and hope I never see her again. Talk about a bad luck charm. Girls come and go but bikes are forever, at least until you upgrade :)

looks like the tail section has to come off as a single item, after a couple of gentle goes I managed to get the screws back in without the upper and lower popping apart. All fixed now.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
HA, Fu*k her. :mad: I left her there feeling bad for me and hope I never see her again. Talk about a bad luck charm. Girls come and go but bikes are forever, at least until you upgrade :)
Wow, what a charmer you are...bet you have to fight 'em off.

Just a personal opinion, but "bikes are forever"?...I'm guessing you're under 20.

·
8,418 Posts
Soil & firm are an oxymoron for a kickstand lol. The girl is classy to offer some sympathy.
Consider carrying a kickstand puck so you don't have to second guess soil firmness. Time for integrated rear signals & tail light.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
bad luck there mate. I used to always carry a stand puck thingy, but of course I left it on the ground somewhere. Now I just use a rock or a squashed coke can, theres always someone who has littered on on the side of the road...

·
Registered
2017 rr
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A bit of humor helps… 🙃
I’m sure he did not mean it to the letter.
The angry face was for the girl, zzz is ok in my book.

bad luck there mate. I used to always carry a stand puck thingy, but of course I left it on the ground somewhere. Now I just use a rock or a squashed coke can, theres always someone who has littered on on the side of the road...
I used to as well. That's what a year out of the saddle does for you I guess. I could have parked on the other side, in the carpark proper like all the other riders were but if I had, and a tool had knocked me over there, the bike would have been a real mess. I'll park up on the grass any chance I get, even in shopping centres.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The angry face was for the girl, zzz is ok in my book.
So...what? The girl you just met by the "side of the road" wanted to get something to eat with you, she was sympathetic to your bike situation and, then....you act like she was toxic? Am I the only one here who would be grateful to someone like her, instead of "angry"? What am I missing?

ZZZ? Another "kettle of fish" entirely! :cool:(jk!)

·
Registered
2017 rr
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So...what? The girl you just met by the "side of the road" wanted to get something to eat with you, she was sympathetic to your bike situation and, then....you act like she was toxic? Am I the only one here who would be grateful to someone like her, instead of "angry"? What am I missing?
Having a grumpy old man moment are we?

·
Registered
12 Posts

View attachment 217538

View attachment 217539

View attachment 217540

Thanks for reading.
Oh snap!

I find this website useful when sourcing replacement parts.

·
Registered
2017 rr
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find this website useful when sourcing replacement parts.
It looks good! BTW, my plastic tail cover is a bit of struggle to get on and off, I noticed too that the raised plastic molding on one side, underneath, that the steel bracket screws onto was cracked and coming away. I superglued it back but I was thinking I might add a little smear of lithium grease to the U-bits that slide into the round bitz to attach the cover. Is this a common problem? It was there before that girl attacked before my bike fell over. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts