BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to confirm if the 2020 uses the same filter as the previous gens?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
same one. I have put 3 on there already.

·
Vendor
2,321 Posts
Does original from BMW fit without removal of oil cooler ?

Not if you have AKRA full exhaust. The stock exhaust will clear just fine.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's a genuine BMW filter, just shorter 53mm and fits into the clearance between headers and oil cooler just fine. Part is 11 42 7 673 541.

It's not listed as compatible with S1000RR and my dealer told me not to use it as it can restrict the oil flow.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
That's one short filter. I would not use that filter. How often do you change oil and filter? If you change every 2500 miles or less, you can change the filter every 2nd oil change. I used to change oil every 3000km and filter every 6000 km. I know...I know.... filter with every oil change...I know..lol. but oil was so clean I felt it wasn't necessary. Anyway, that would work only if you change oil often, not every 8000 miles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's one short filter. I would not use that filter. How often do you change oil and filter? If you change every 2500 miles or less, you can change the filter every 2nd oil change. I used to change oil every 3000km and filter every 6000 km. I know...I know.... filter with every oil change...I know..lol. but oil was so clean I felt it wasn't necessary. Anyway, that would work only if you change oil often, not every 8000 miles.
I change every 3 full trackdays. I don't ride it on street.

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
I wouldn't get overly excited about use of the shorter filter. If you do a "where used" for it you'll find it on lots of BMW models. In fact it was THE filter to use on the S1000R when it came out in 2014, and only after 8 months or so they changed it to the 779. Hmmmm, maybe that means something.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don’t get the smaller one, It fucks with the flow rate. Just buy the OEM filters. They fit with the Akra you just have to unbolt you’re exhaust hanger and pull down a half inch to get them in or out. Took me a minute to figure it out but it was easy once I did. Don’t mess with the oil cooler line, those orings could pinch and then you get a leak under your bike where you don’t want oil

·
Registered
585 Posts
So more word on this,

apparently the racing shop where I service my motorbike, have been running 541 (short) filter on their race HP4 bike and will be running 541 on their race Gen4 bike this season as well.
They've never had any issues with restricted oil flow.

In fact, the difference between filters is how much oil one can hold, input/output diameters are the same, so I'm not sure this restricting flow thing is really a thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
The 779 just has more filter media so in theory it will last longer. Perhaps not a consideration on a track bike where replacement is on a much shorter schedule.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Don’t get the smaller one, It fucks with the flow rate. Just buy the OEM filters. They fit with the Akra you just have to unbolt you’re exhaust hanger and pull down a half inch to get them in or out. Took me a minute to figure it out but it was easy once I did. Don’t mess with the oil cooler line, those orings could pinch and then you get a leak under your bike where you don’t want oil
So I managed to install 779 filter today. No need to lower Akra, I just removed the bracket that holds O2 sensor plug and 779 slides into the hole just fine.
You can't properly torque it, as there is no way to put a socket on it, but I just used a strap tool and locked wire it using a jubilee clip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts