Nice to have all the following info in one place... let me know if I need to add/modify etc. The following is based on my experience; the torque ratings were provided from the BMW Service Manual Software :
- Change oil with the bike warmed up - oil drains much better.
- Book says it should take 3.9L of oil w/filter change... closer to 3.5L or even a hair less was my experience. Remember you should be checking the level of oil AFTER the bike has been run and at normal operating temperature (see pg 105 of owner's manual). You should NOT be checking the level with a cold bike (you may think you have enough oil in the bike when it's actually low - with a cold bike)!
- Oil Filters - Initially BMW was selling the 779 (11427 721 779) (same filter for K1200 or K1300?) filter for the S1000RR even though it came from the factory with a 541 (11427 673 541).
- BMW straightened that out and is now selling the 541 for the S1000RR
- Difference between the two Filters : 779 is about 3/8" longer (slightly more capacity) AND the end of the 779 oil filter fits a normal "B" type filter socket for removing and installing. This is good because the 541 has an end on it that appears to take a special filter socket (pic shown below - Part# 83300 401 554). If you don't care about properly torquing the filter to 11Nm, no biggie. Historically I haven't worried about it, but if I can - why not do it (torque it properly). Personally, I'm using the 779's since they have a friendlier filter end that fits the B-type filter socket, they have more capacity, and it's what was sold to me initially from the BMW dealer.
- Much easier to do the oil change with the left lower fairing removed - pretty easy removal (2 bolts on the front near the radiator, 5 bolts on the side, 2 bolts on the underside)
- Put a little aluminum foil under the filter to funnel the oil away from the headers and O2 sensors while removing the existing filter - works great, no mess.
- Replace crush washer each time the oil plug is removed (Part # 07119 963 252).
- Oil Filter Torque - 11Nm
- Oil Pan Plug Torque - 28Nm