BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought it a little over a month ago. Got it to the 600 mile mark. Took it in for the 1st service. Now, after riding for a bit, seems like there's smoke coming and burning from the mid section of the exhaust. With inspection, I see oil at the bottom of and around the rear shock. From there, it drips down to the exhaust. Anyone experienced this or know where that oil could be leaking from? The shock itself?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blown shock most likely. Run your fingers on the rod , and shine a light down the shock. Check the swingarm for oil. Covered under warranty. Had it happen to me. Ride will be super harsh and pogo like. View attachment 219178 View attachment 219179
Thank you! I figured as much but just needed reassurance. I wanted to make sure this wasn’t a one off. The bike only has 700 miles on it when I noticed it. Can’t believe the quality of these. Got an appt set up with the dealer. Will update once done.

·
8,726 Posts
That sucks, glad you are ok!

Blown shock, blown engine, blown forks, blown calipers, blown WSBK championship, blown M1000RR oil burning engine. One can imagine if BMW got into BJ business.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
69 Posts
Wow. Same thing happened to mine (2021 model). At the dealer now waiting for replacement part. They told me I can't ride it. It was in for 1st service with 601 miles on it. They initially said they had no idea how long it would take to get the part. Today they said it typically takes 4-6 weeks for parts like that.

People are having blown forks too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure they get you guys ddc shocks. The initial one that came in for me was an analog, had to re order a ddc.
4-6 weeks is too long imo. Ask for a VOR option. Especially on brand new bikes. Get the service managers involved and don’t take no for an option. New bikes should get parts ASAP.
Is it un rideable…no…is it safe…no…

I was mid ride on 200+ mile day of straight twisties when I noticed mine….just rode a bit more careful.

the switch to marzocchi………..

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black
69 Posts
Make sure they get you guys ddc shocks. The initial one that came in for me was an analog, had to re order a ddc.
4-6 weeks is too long imo. Ask for a VOR option. Especially on brand new bikes. Get the service managers involved and don’t take no for an option. New bikes should get parts ASAP.
Is it un rideable…no…is it safe…no…

I was mid ride on 200+ mile day of straight twisties when I noticed mine….just rode a bit more careful.

the switch to marzocchi………..
Thanks for the recommendation to ask for a VOR option. BTW, what does that stand for? And I agree 4-6 weeks for a one month old bike right before winter is a bit of a disappointment.

·
Registered
2017 rr
311 Posts
Blown shock, blown engine, blown forks, blown calipers, blown WSBK championship, blown M1000RR oil burning engine. One can imagine if BMW got into BJ business.
Back in the day...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BMW Media Information
10/2016

The new BMW S 1000 RR – the virtually perfect supersports model
has been further optimised. Ever since BMW Motorrad launched the S 1000 RR in 2009, the first 4-
cylinder supersports bike made by BMW, the “Double R” has had a lasting
impact on this market segment. Consistent and ongoing development has
since ensured that the RR occupies pole position among the superbikes with
road traffic certification.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That sucks, glad you are ok!

I believe the M version burns oil because the two ring pistons, low drag on high revs, but also less surface to seal.

·
8,726 Posts
I believe the M version burns oil because the two ring pistons, low drag on high revs, but also less surface to seal.
BMW engineers thought they were working on a two stroke engine, but it was late when they released the four stroke version for WSBK. Real reason I hear M burns oil :whistle:
Seeing the look on my friend's face when his M1000 exhaust smoking white at VIR after paying $40k was priceless though.

Reactions: crosshairs

·
Registered
128 Posts
BMW engineers thought they were working on a two stroke engine, but it was late when they released the four stroke version for WSBK. Real reason I hear M burns oil :whistle:
Seeing the look on my friend's face when his M1000 exhaust smoking white at VIR after paying $40k was priceless though.
Nothing wrong with a good old two stroke, pre mixed with a Castrol A747.

But seriously, how much do they burn oil the M versions? I would be keen to say the oil consumption is normal, so far as it does not cause running issues.

I really think the two ring setup is not the best for road use, even though the bike does come with plates, bit sensitive to running temperatures and the like. Hard to make them seal in such a wide range of temps the road riding dictates.

Then again, i could be completely wrong here.

·
8,726 Posts
But seriously, how much do they burn oil the M versions? I would be keen to say the oil consumption is normal, so far as it does not cause running issues.
See the M1000RR thread, oil burning was discussed at length. And it's looking serious.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts