BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
How many m1000rr are they gonna build? Seems like a part of the reason for the steep price is the much lower production volume with it being the homologation special.

·
8,410 Posts
^ no limit on M1k production numbers as far as I read. They are made in the same factory as S1k.

Reactions: gmten and Fbto

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got an email from bmw USA congratulating me on my new m1000rr….odd since I’ve not heard a peep from my dealer regarding delivery or even a vin…
Might be getting closer to having it tho

·
BT Moto
1,258 Posts
Just got an email from bmw USA congratulating me on my new m1000rr….odd since I’ve not heard a peep from my dealer regarding delivery or even a vin…
Might be getting closer to having it tho
Got the same email with no bike update

·
8,410 Posts
A friend got his in VA on the 10th. Another in SC.

Reactions: Fosters

·
Registered
655 Posts
Really digging the k66 color scheme when you see the bike with titanium pipes installed on it. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my M since late May. It has been to the tuner a few times, and has around 800 miles on it so far. Here are a few callouts so far:
  • The bike comes with the M GPS Laptrigger activation code only. You'll still need to buy the datalogger, GPS antenna, memory card, cables, etc. from the dealer. It comes in one package, I'm currently waiting on mine to arrive.
  • The bike doesn't come with potentiometers because no DDC, but the stock wiring harness still provides plugs for 2D pots. They're plug n play, and the ECU has channels dedicated to them.
  • The stock exhaust on this bike is really nice which is surprising. Unfortunately, although the slip-on is a true Akra, you won't be able to fit it onto cat-less Akra headers. I went with a full Akra race system for mine.
  • The M endurance chain that comes on the bike is 525 pitch, and a 520 pitch version doesn't exist yet. If you do a conversion, you'll be losing the super nice chain. I would personally wait until a 520 pitch version arrives so you can keep the low-friction and maintenance-free features.
  • This bike is geared really tall from the factory (not as bad as S1K though). If you plan on racing it, expect some big gearing changes.
  • The chassis geometry is wildly different from the S1K. I would say that the numbers are closer to my R6 that a stock S1K. And just like the R6, this means that the front end is too low (amongst other things).
  • The front carbon fender has barely any clearance which makes it tough to put on tire warmers.
  • First thing I noticed when the bike got up to speed is how stable it was, even in windy environments. The front end stays super planted the entire time. Those wings are definitely not a gimmick and they start working at speeds as low as 35mph.
  • The stock throttle mapping on this bike was pretty horrid. It felt unresponsive and led to quite a few stalls. My tuner built new mappings for me, and put a lot of work into cleaning up the fuel/ignition tables. The result was a bike that was fun and intuitive to ride!
I plan to do some extensive track testing later this summer and start dialing in this platform for racing next season.

·
8,410 Posts
I plan to do some extensive track testing later this summer and start dialing in this platform for racing next season.
Who is your tuner?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who is your tuner?
2 Wheel Dynoworks in Kirkland, Washington. They tune all of my street and race bikes. For the M, we read out the ECU and sent the files over to Woolich so they could configure the binary file definitions. After that, we've had full ECU access using WRT software. Bench harness kit already available:

For chassis/suspension stuff, I worked with a BMW race engineer on the baseline for my home track - Ridge Motorsports Park. After getting more time on the platform, I'll see if an Ohlins conversion is needed. So far I'm pretty impressed with the stock units, even the spring rates are within the correct range for racing.

The M brakes on this bike feel better than a 2021 S1000RR when compared side by side. I think the weak points in the front brakes are the pads and master cylinder. Typically I run Vesrah and Galespeed. The rear has a ton of feel to it, and the underslung mount makes wheel swaps a breeze.

·
8,410 Posts
2 Wheel Dynoworks in Kirkland, Washington. They tune all of my street and race bikes. For the M, we read out the ECU and sent the files over to Woolich so they could configure the binary file definitions. After that, we've had full ECU access using WRT software. Bench harness kit already available:
I used 2WD in the past, they are great. I did now know Woolich does M1k tuning.
Could you reset service intervals, or still need a GS911? How will you know if AFR is correct, any dyno work?

Vesrah & Galespeed are what I use. Work great! Better than Brembo billet MC.

Does the underslug mount stay in place with axle & axle block removed?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had my M since late May. It has been to the tuner a few times, and has around 800 miles on it so far. Here are a few callouts so far:
  • The bike comes with the M GPS Laptrigger activation code only. You'll still need to buy the datalogger, GPS antenna, memory card, cables, etc. from the dealer. It comes in one package, I'm currently waiting on mine to arrive.
  • The bike doesn't come with potentiometers because no DDC, but the stock wiring harness still provides plugs for 2D pots. They're plug n play, and the ECU has channels dedicated to them.
  • The stock exhaust on this bike is really nice which is surprising. Unfortunately, although the slip-on is a true Akra, you won't be able to fit it onto cat-less Akra headers. I went with a full Akra race system for mine.
  • The M endurance chain that comes on the bike is 525 pitch, and a 520 pitch version doesn't exist yet. If you do a conversion, you'll be losing the super nice chain. I would personally wait until a 520 pitch version arrives so you can keep the low-friction and maintenance-free features.
  • This bike is geared really tall from the factory (not as bad as S1K though). If you plan on racing it, expect some big gearing changes.
  • The chassis geometry is wildly different from the S1K. I would say that the numbers are closer to my R6 that a stock S1K. And just like the R6, this means that the front end is too low (amongst other things).
  • The front carbon fender has barely any clearance which makes it tough to put on tire warmers.
  • First thing I noticed when the bike got up to speed is how stable it was, even in windy environments. The front end stays super planted the entire time. Those wings are definitely not a gimmick and they start working at speeds as low as 35mph.
  • The stock throttle mapping on this bike was pretty horrid. It felt unresponsive and led to quite a few stalls. My tuner built new mappings for me, and put a lot of work into cleaning up the fuel/ignition tables. The result was a bike that was fun and intuitive to ride!
It’s interesting you say the Akra end can won’t fit on akra headers, on akropovic website they say it does fit standard s1k end can and the slip on(bmw/akra) is a direct replacement. Unless the end can for M1000rr is different then the sports muffler they sell for s1000rr.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used 2WD in the past, they are great. I did now know Woolich does M1k tuning.
Could you reset service intervals, or still need a GS911? How will you know if AFR is correct, any dyno work?

Vesrah & Galespeed are what I use. Work great! Better than Brembo billet MC.

Does the underslug mount stay in place with axle & axle block removed?
They didn't until they got the binary from my bike :cool:. I'm glad that the ECU isn't much different from the S1K, it could've taken a lot more work.

WRT won't allow you to reset service intervals unfortunately, you'll still need a separate tool for that. Tuning of the bike is fairly straight forward because the ECU allows setting of the AFR targets for warm-up, standard, and wide-open scenarios. My bike was tuned on the dyno with a median AFR value set to 13.1.

With the underslung mount, everything stays in place when the rear wheel is removed. It also helps line everything up when re-installing.

It’s interesting you say the Akra end can won’t fit on akra headers, on akropovic website they say it does fit standard s1k end can and the slip on(bmw/akra) is a direct replacement. Unless the end can for M1000rr is different then the sports muffler they sell for s1000rr.

I've measured and had both systems side-by-side because I was surprised at first as well. The M1000RR slip-on is different compared to the S1K stock and sports mufflers. It has a full Akra titanium system with high flow cat, exhaust valve, and a slip-on with slightly larger core diameter.

·
Vendor
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
BMW had shipped 31 units in June at least from what I was told about July 5th and they had arrived in Allentown for distribution. For those that know your number in line of the pre-order they are at least up to number 70 out of the 163/167 ( I have heard both numbers now on pre-order ) .

I got my M1000RR with 3 miles on it July 15 .. Good luck to others that are still waiting.

·
BT Moto
1,258 Posts
We got both of ours and both unlocked and ready to rock. For reference we were #5 and #11 on the list. BMW does not go by the list BTW lol

Reactions: Fosters
201 - 220 of 236 Posts