BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Vendor
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"OFFICIAL 2021 BMW M1000RR K66" Pre-release information and facts as best we have for now. I will update this thread with the various postings being made between USA forum and UK forum.

BMW Website now up and running on the M1000RR

M 1000 RR

Configure your M 1000 RR today website

BMW Motorrad Configurator - all models, colors, packages and prices

We need a real tech real performance thread about the new up coming release of the exciting all new generation of BMW M 1000 RR. As with any discussion, speculation about HorsePower and Torque are going to happen. The real numbers are when we see a video of the bike on a dyno preferably in the USA.

There are those of you out there that have good access to release photos. Some of us are not on Instagram, Facebook, Europe social media, and many other sources today of how news gets around. In a positive constructive manner of sharing information however, we can all come together on the product we love and want to spend many thousands of dollars on. Lets share the positive release aspects of the new 2021 release of the BMW M1000RR.

Lets start with product information as we know it.

Launch release POD cast.

The first 10 minutes and 22 seconds is the release video on BMW website. FAST FORWARD to 10:22 and the POD cast starts. Members on zoom call are Tom Sykes, Marc Bongers, Sepp Machler with the host is Andy Dukes. Lots of great information from Marc on the reason behind engine upgrades at 24:24

USA you can order today as product launch release online was September 23 2020

USA is projected to get M1000RR bikes maybe in March of 2021 ( I ordered mine and they indicated March for now )

BennyMX posted pricing
M1000RR $36,100

M1000RR Competition ( carbon and ///M printed on alot of parts ) $40,900

Europe was slightly ahead of USA with the release of the 2015 and the 2020, so I would expect Europe to see the 2021 maybe this year if BMW Motorrad puts the bike in WSBK. BMW Motorrad needs 500 produced to qualify for homologation of the product line.

OVERVIEW on specs:

K66

M1000RR

Product VIN looks like this WB10 E710 X MZ111111

This means it is model code E710

M is the model year ( MY ) 2021

156 KW A67A10 1.0L or HP= 212 @14,500

New top limiter RPM 15,100

Weight listed as 192KG or 423 lbs

Nissin brake calipers 100mm spacing like the BREMBO's of old on the K46. ( This was miss posted for several months as 108mm due to bad information release from BMWAG at press launch )

Final Drive is changed to 17/46

Titanium rods

Titanium exhaust valves

The new designation for the 2021 is K66. Yes this adds yet another number to throw around but it is good that K67 and K66 are separated in this way. The new BMW M1000RR will come in 1 color for its first release it appears right now.

Motorrad MotorSports Blue White with Red accents ( Committed to the racing tradition. The Motorsport finish sends a clear signal far and wide: Here's a powerful machine full of sportiness, agility and dynamics )

The all important HorsePower release numbers are USA > 2??HP .... Europe > 212HP

BMW website : With an engine output of 156 kW (212 HP), a DIN vehicle curb weight of only 192 kg and a suspension and aerodynamics designed for maximum race track performance, the new M RR meets the main expectations in the top segment of Superbikes.

M RR four-cylinder engine based on the RR engine for racing sport. More peak power and increased maximum engine speed.

The new M RR uses a water-cooled four-cylinder in-line engine based on the RR power train with BMW ShiftCam technology for varying valve timing and valve lift that has been modified.

1 Overall concept. Short version.

Comprehensively in the direction of a racing sport engine. It achieves its peak output of 156 kW (212 HP) at 14,500 rpm. The maximum torque of 113 Nm is applied at 11,000 rpm. In addition to a maximum speed increased to 15,100 rpm, the M RR engine has extensive technical optimizations such as new 2-ring forged pistons from Mahle, adapted combustion chambers, compression increased to 13.5, longer and lighter titanium connecting rods from Pankl, slimmer and lighter rocker arms, fully machined intake ports with new duct geometry as well as optimizations on camshafts and intake area. The lightweight exhaust system is also made of titanium. The new M RR engine is even more powerful than the RR power train in the range from 6,000 rpm to 15,100 rpm, a range that is particularly relevant for race track driving dynamics, but without losing its qualities as a fascinating source of power for sporty driving on country roads.

Front suspension is by Marzocchi Marzocchi | Bombproof Mountain Bike Suspension
The rear is Marzocchi shock absorber
The 2021 will have an " Competition " package platform release add on. It appears right now it is a lot of ///M on every part they could print on.
The 2021 has the same 6.5-inch TFT display which is the same cluster as on other BMW 2018/19/20 bikes.

The features of the 2021 M 1000 RR ( M1000RR ) Package The new BMW M 1000 RR.
Carbon wheels
Lighter battery
Seat choice options for leg height
Folding levers
Rearsets

You can get the 2021 with NON-DDC only it appears right now.

Product release info video with BMW CEO for M products Markus Flasch
Powertrain
“The redesign of the RR engine confronted us with a considerable challenge in a number of different ways,” powertrain project manager Jörg Vogt says. “An even higher peak output combined with increased torque in the lower and medium engine speed range—these are apparently incompatible opposites. With BMW ShiftCam Technology we managed a quantum leap.”

What’s ShiftCam? It’s the Variable valve timing system introduced on the redesigned 2019 BMW R1250GS that employs a camshaft with two different lobes manipulating each of the eight intake valves. Applied to the S1000RR, the system utilizes partial-load lobes below 9,000 rpm to boost engine torque while also reducing excess mechanical noise and increasing engine efficiency (BMW claims a 4-percent reduction in fuel consumption). Now into 2021 on the M1000RR > Fully machined intake ports with new duct geometry and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying valve timing and valve lift.

The intake ports have also been redesigned with the aim of significantly increased peak power and an optimum power indication in the speed range relevant for super-sport and race track use. Compared to the RR, they have a further developed duct geometry and are also fully machined for maximum accuracy and to achieve the best possible flow conditions.

Like with the RR, the M RR with BMW ShiftCam technology uses the technology to vary valve timing and valve lift on the intake side. It is a three-piece intake switching-cam sensor, which has two cams attached on a shift segment per valve to be actuated: one torque cam and one power cam, each with optimally designed cam geometry. The shift speed of the BMW ShiftCam of the M RR is 9,000 rpm, like with the RR.

Titanium valves, on the exhaust side with new spring assembly, slimmer and lighter rocker arm and optimized camshafts.

In the M RR, four valves made of lightweight titanium are also used in each combustion chamber. The shanks of the intake valves are also hollow-drilled to minimize weight. Like on the intake side of the RR engine, the M RR power train also has spring cups made of aluminium on the exhaust side. A modified valve spring assembly is also used on the exhaust side. The valves are operated using light, speed-resistant and DLC-coated rocker arms in the normal manner, which were designed even more favorably than the already very light RR models. The width of the rocker arm has been reduced from 8 to 6.5 mm, resulting in a weight reduction of 6 percent or 0.45 g per rocker arm. Reinforced bearing brackets of the camshafts take the increased maximum speed into account.

The 2021 will have the same ECU as K67. The label name of the ECU is BMSO. The MPU is still the same TC1793 from the BMSMP and BMSMS used in the 2017-19 S1000RR. The ECU is slightly larger than all previous K46 S1000RR ECU's.

Very light, compact engine block with longer titanium connecting rods from Pankl for reduced friction power and less weight.

The engine block of the RR provides the best possible requirements for the M RR engine. Like before, the cylinder barrels integrated in the upper crankcase half are polished and honed to reduce friction power and the oil and water pumps are combined in a compact module. The tubes of the water and oil cooling circuits are also reworked.

Very Light Exhaust System by Akrapovic - Full Titanium exhaust setup compliant to Euro5 specs

UnderSlung Rear Brake

World Superbike say hello to BMW staying for 2021 ! Go Tom and Michael Van Der Mark !

Former World Superbike champion Tom Sykes will stay with Shaun Muir's team next season alongside Michael van der Mark as it rekindles its continued partnership with BMW.

BMW’s hell-bent on returning to the top step of the liter-class Superbike podium next season with its all-new 2021 M1000RR. Next year’s/this year of racing in WSBK ( The new BMW M 1000 RR. ) on the new machine is another major iteration of the German brand’s superbike and also marks its 11th year of production.

BMW Press Release specifications

Technical data 2021 K66

BMW M 1000 RR
Engine
Displacement999 cm3
Bore hole/stroke80/49.7 mm
Power156/212 kW/HP
At rotational speed14,500 rpm
Torque113 Nm / 83 ft lbs
At rotational speed11,000 rpm
DesignWater-cooled in-line four-cylinder engine
Compression/Fuel13.5:1 / Super (plus) petrol, unleaded, octane number 95-98 (RON) (knock control; nominal capacity at 98 RON)
Valve/throttle controlDOHC-(double overhead camshaft),
Valve actuation via single rocker arm
and variable intake camshaft control BMW ShiftCam
Titanium valves per cylinder4
Ø intake/exhaust33.5/27.2 mm
Throttle valve diameter48 mm
Engine control unitBMS-O
Emission controlControlled three-way catalytic converter
Electrical system
Alternator450W
BatteryM battery 12 V/Ah / 5, maintenance-free
HeadlightWLow-beam headlight LED twin circular headlights in free-form technology
High-beam headlight LED free-form surface/modular system
Starter0.8 kW
Power transmission, transmission
ClutchMulti-disc anti-hopping oil-bath clutch,
mechanically operated
TransmissionClaw-operated six-speed transmission
Primary translation1.652
Translation ratios 1st gear2.647
2nd gear2.091
3rd gear1.727
4th gear1.500
5th gear1.360
6th gear1.261
Final driveChain 17/46
Secondary translation2.706
Chassis
Frame designAluminum composite bridge frame, engine supported

Compared to the K67 2019 2020 2021 ( Europe / USA Engine )
Type Water/oil-cooled 4-cylinder 4-stroke in-line engine, four titanium valves per cylinder, BMW ShiftCam
Bore x stroke 80 mm x 49,7 mm
Capacity 999 ccm
Rated output 152 kW (207 hp) at 13,500 rpm
Max. torque 113 Nm or 83 ft lbs @ 11,000 rpm
Compression ratio 13.3 : 1
Mixture control / engine management Electronic injection, variable intake pibe
Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converters, EU-4 norm
Performance / fuel consumption
Maximum speed 299 km/h
Consumption w.r.t WMTC for 100km 6.4 l
Fuel type Unleaded super(premium), octane number 95 - 98 (RON) (knock control; rated output at 98 RON)
Electrical system
Alternator 450 W
Battery 12 V / 8 Ah, maintenance-free
Power transmission
Clutch Multiplate clutch in oil bath, anti-hopping clutch, with self-reinforcement
Gearbox Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox with straight cut gears
Drive Chain 525 17/45
Chassis / brakes
Frame Bridge-type frame, cast aluminum, load-bearing engine
Front wheel location / suspension Upside-down telescopic fork Ø 45 mm, compression and rebound stage adjustable, adjustable preload
Rear wheel location / suspension "WSBK" Aluminum swing arm, full floater pro, compression and rebound damping adjustable, adjustable preload
Suspension travel front / rear 120 mm / 117 mm
Wheelbase 1.441 mm
Castor 93.9 mm
Steering head angle 66.9°
Wheels Aluminum cast wheels on base model / Carbon Fiber on M model
Rim, front 3,50'' x 17''
Rim, rear 6,00'' x 17''
Tyres, front 120/70 ZR 17
Tyres, rear 190/55 ZR 17
Brake, front Twin disc brake, 4-piston fixed caliper ( 100mm spacing ) , diameter 320 mm
Brake, rear Single disc brake, single piston floating caliper, diameter 220 mm
ABS BMW Motorrad Race ABS (part-integral), disengageable, modes to select
Dimensions / weights
Length 2.073 mm
Width (incl. mirrors) 848 mm
Height (excl. mirrors) 1.151 mm
Seat height, unladen weight 824 mm
Inner leg curve, unladen weight 1.827 mm
Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 1) 197 kg (M Package 193,5 kg)
Permitted total weight 407 kg
Payload (with standard equipment) 210 kg
Usable tank volume 16.5 l
Reserve approx. 4 l

Long Version of Specifications:

• M RR four-cylinder engine based on the RR engine for racing sport. Even more peak power, higher torque in the medium range and 500 rpm more maximum speed.

• 156 kW output at 14 500 rpm and thus 4 kW more than in the RR. Maximum torque of 113 Nm at 11 000 rpm.

• New 2-ring forged piston 12 g lighter, adapted combustion chamber and compression increased to 13.5. In addition, slimmer and lighter rocker arms.

• Fully machined intake ports with new duct geometry and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying the valve control time and valve lift.

• Titanium valves, on the exhaust side with new spring assembly, slimmer and 6 % lighter rocker arms and optimized camshafts.

• Very light, compact engine block with longer and 85 g lighter titanium connecting rods from Pankl for reduced friction power and less weight.

• Anti-hopping clutch without self-reinforcing for optimum Launch Control.

• Optimized differentiated intake system with shorter intake funnels for optimized gas exchange at high rotational speeds.

• New, 3,657 g lighter exhaust system with exhaust manifold, front silencer and rear silencer made of titanium.

• M winglets and high windscreen: Braking later and accelerating earlier and more stability when cornering thanks to the aerodynamic downforce without any reduction in maximum speed.

• “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Race”“ and “Race Pro1-3” riding modes and the latest generation of the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and DTC wheelie function with 6-axle sensor box.

• Two adjustable characteristic throttle curves for optimum response characteristics. Engine brake with threefold adjustable engine drag torque in “Race Pro” mode.

• Shift assistant Pro for shifting gears up and down without clutch. Simple reversibility of the shift pattern for race track use.

• Launch Control for perfect race starts and Pit-Lane-Limiter for precise speed in the pit lane.

• Hill Start Control Pro for convenient starting on slopes.

• Chassis design trimmed for race track use with modified geometry, optimized wheel load distribution and extended adjust ability of the swinging arm pivot point.

• Optimized upside-down fork and revised central spring strut with Full Floater Pro kinematics.

• M brakes for the first time at BMW Motorrad: The M RR with maximum braking performance for the race track.

• M carbon wheels: Classy high-tech components for maximum performance on race track and road.

• Instrument cluster with large, perfectly readable 6.5-inch TFT display, starting animation with M logo and OBD interface that can be used with activation code for the M GPS data logger and M GPS lap trigger.

• Lightweight M battery, USB charging socket in the rear, powerful integrated LED light units and heated grips.

• M design and dynamic form language indicate ultimate race track performance.

• M competition package with M GPS lap trigger and activation code, M milled parts package, M carbon package, silver, 220 g lighter swinging arm, DLC-coated M endurance chain and passenger package including tail-hump cover.

• Comprehensive optional accessories and optional equipment ex works.

I will add more information to this posting as it is presented in a positive way and contribution to this thread about the all new 2021 M1000RR

·
Vendor
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hope this thread can get solid data only on the new K66

Reactions: Kiev1981

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Can’t wait to see what you think about the bike when you get yours.

·
Vendor
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
can I move MRCK from K67 to K66 ?
Unfortunately the K66 does not come with RCK Pro installed and ready to tune. The FSC programming I was told for RCK Pro was in fact for GPS laptimer, not RCK PRO.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Its the other way around. K66 ( M1000RR ) will come with RCK PRO already installed to it. This is the migration path to move it to the K67 ( S1000RR ) since they are both BMSO ECU's. I already have the code and the FSC coding.
So are you saying that I just move MRck loom from k67 to k66 and it will work?

I'm at cross way dilema now, should I sell my old Gen3 and buy Honda or K66?

·
Vendor
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are you saying that I just move MRck loom from k67 to k66 and it will work?

I'm at cross way dilema now, should I sell my old Gen3 and buy Honda or K66?
This requires too much speculation and guessing at this time. I would rather this thread stay on facts of the M1000RR as we know them today and get the facts over time to release.

I have the ECU coding. I have the FSC so I know the ECU enough right now to talk software.

The Engine is total remade on the inside, while the outside appears the same as K67.

So I cannot say you can remove and exchange any wiring harness at this time. The main reason is that BMW Motorrad moves the inputs and outputs on the ECU to keep people like me from interchanging software coding. That makes a hardware change at the wiring harness.

Reactions: bmwbadboy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Its the other way around. K66 ( M1000RR ) will come with RCK PRO already installed to it. This is the migration path to move it to the K67 ( S1000RR ) since they are both BMSO ECU's. I already have the code and the FSC coding.
The K66 does not come with the RCK Pro already installed.

It has street/standard electronics.

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
You can get the 2021 with NON-DDC only it appears right now.

What? DDC is not available? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,227 Posts
there is not 2021 mate, it's same old good 2020
? 2020? We are talking M1K. There is no configuration of the M1K that comes with DDC.

I guess it’s time to look at a WP suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Maybe I was told something different from 'good' sources that the Competition model was being offered " loaded " ... we will see.

·
Registered
777 Posts
What do you think Floyd? Can you wring any more HP out of it? I know it ill help to get that huge exhaust converter off it. But I think they need to rething the bellpan on the comp model, what's on there now would disqualify it from most racing orgs...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Let’s all try to keep this thread about information on the new K66 as it was intended to be. there is another thread titled M 1000 RR where we can speculate or just talk about what we want to see out of the bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts

It will either need to come with the RCK pro, and just a code to enable it, as this model is homologated for superstock, where the M RCK is way over the price limit. Or they need to drop RCK kit price dramatically (and I dont think they will do that.) So i think BMW_388 is right on this point

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It will either need to come with the RCK pro, and just a code to enable it, as this model is homologated for superstock, where the M RCK is way over the price limit. Or they need to drop RCK kit price dramatically (and I dont think they will do that.) So i think BMW_388 is right on this point
How does homologation work exactly?

Every STK team is buying Ohlins for 3-4k, surely they takes it over the limit too?

·
Registered
177 Posts
How does homologation work exactly?

Every STK team is buying Ohlins for 3-4k, surely they takes it over the limit too?
You can read both the superstock and superbike regulation on the fim website.
In STK what I race, you can only change internals on the front, price limit: 2200€ and rear shock, price limit: 2000€

The stock regulations basicaly lists what you are alowed to do, everything else is forbiden. Not the other way around

1 - 20 of 236 Posts