BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 1961 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lots of the bikes have brake shatter which makes the entire front vibrate pretty hard under heavy braking. Feels shitty, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are we talking brake 'chatter' here??
All I'm saying is that the brakes cause strong vibrations under heavy braking. This is a known issue and was reported before by many riders and the coaches of Troy's school.

·
Vendor
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,945
I don't know why, but I think that was the first time I saw this on a 2020 photo. Is it included in some version or is it extra?
The rear travel sensor is for the DDC suspension. So the only K67 model that wont have it is the base NON DDC version. Same as K46 starting with the HP4 K42 2012 as it had DDC and then the 15-19 models that have DDC will have the rear swingarm travel sensor.

the code in the ECU is already programmed for add on addition of the FRONT suspension travel sensor and rebound and compression are then available for adjustment via the cluster display.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
All I'm saying is that the brakes cause strong vibrations under heavy braking. This is a known issue and was reported before by many riders and the coaches of Troy's school.
And this is why racers use 6mm discs. 5.5mm warp and change color. :laugh: Alpha already has proper discs for the 2020 M model. Brake Tech is lagging. :frown2:

https://soflosbk.com/collections/s1000rr/products/alpha-racing-s1000rr-k67-2020-320mm-x-6mm-evo-racing-rotors-pair
@SoFlo_SBK will fix that for you. :smile2:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do we know what the deal is with the sport model, and when is BMW going to concentrate on building/ shipping those out? I haven't seen that many of those compared to the M model.

Also, any news on the software update related to the power glitch in 2nd and 3rd gear?

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Vendor
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,949
Silly question, but are these vibrations under heavy breaking the result of ABS pumping the breaks so that traction is not lost?
No, that is not what @wfo439 is referring to as braking vibrations. Rotors can get too much heat into them and slightly warp. They will cool off and conform back to reasonable straight if not warp too bad. Once they heat enough to warp too many times they will not conform back over time.

Then there is another form of vibrations due to metal composition used to build the rotors, and the type of pads used on the rotors. This is the most common issue people have with rotors and pads. Incompatible surface friction. Here is a webpage that outlines some of the types of issues. https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/brakes-and-brake-components/difference-dtv-pulsation-btv-judder/

I have had just about every rotor made for performance. I love the BatWing for GSXR, and I love the BrakeTechs for BMW K46. Wishing I had those on my K67. Here is an old thread I made back when I got my BrakeTech

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/224954-brembo-t-drive-rotors.html

·
Vendor
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,950
Do we know what the deal is with the sport model, and when is BMW going to concentrate on building/ shipping those out? I haven't seen that many of those compared to the M model.

Also, any news on the software update related to the power glitch in 2nd and 3rd gear?
According to the BMW reps I have talked with in North America, there will not be a EPA release on the coding of the K67 that fixes the lag in 2nd and 3rd gears. Thankfully there is a fix that XWORKS 100% via handheld or ECU direct programming. This is tested and proven on the road course racetracks in Canada and USA already in 2019. PM me if you need further tech and support details on this.

2020 K67 ///M Programmed XWORKS ECU by me
2018 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2017 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2015 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2014 K46 RCK2 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
Thanks to MotoMillion.com for the support and selling my programming
PM me for any tech support and feature details on XWORKS ECU's

EXWERKS Flash Tuning Programming
BMSK BMSX BMSMP BMSO BMW S1000RR S1000R ECU Reprogramming
HandHeld Tune/Flash tool information:pM me for now-website coming 2020
Email:pM for now-website coming 2020
Phone:pM for mobile text or voice
Programming RCK2 RCK3 HP Power Kit 2010-2019 K46
Programming 2019/20 K67 EXWERKS BMWAG flash
Programming Marriage ECU Cluster EWS
Lost Keys Service 2005-2020 BMW Motorrad
Master ASE with L1
Certified Master GM Tech

·
Registered
186 Posts
According to the BMW reps I have talked with in North America, there will not be a EPA release on the coding of the K67 that fixes the lag in 2nd and 3rd gears. Thankfully there is a fix that XWORKS 100% via handheld or ECU direct programming. This is tested and proven on the road course racetracks in Canada and USA already in 2019. PM me if you need further tech and support details on this.
Thank you for the info. I am looking into getting a racing red model. Not seeing any for sale near me. I'll keep looking, plenty of time until summer.

I am assuming that BMW is looking at other ways to roll these new models of the line to remedy the power issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thank you for the info. I am looking into getting a racing red model. Not seeing any for sale near me. I'll keep looking, plenty of time until summer.
My dealer's wait list is still at 8, which already takes him to mid year per his normal allocation. Do you have a deposit down and on a list? I also think that my dealer has only ordered the M Sport - they obviously make more margin on them.

I am assuming that BMW is looking at other ways to roll these new models of the line to remedy the power issues.
Why do you think that? Absent the highly limited tune, I don't think they can make the EPA happy without making significant changes in hardware, especially a quieter exhaust.

My bet is that about 100% of new RR owners will continue to call Floyd, Bren or whoever to tune their otherwise superbike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dealer's wait list is still at 8, which already takes him to mid year per his normal allocation. Do you have a deposit down and on a list? I also think that my dealer has only ordered the M Sport - they obviously make more margin on them.

Why do you think that? Absent the highly limited tune, I don't think they can make the EPA happy without making significant changes in hardware, especially a quieter exhaust.

My bet is that about 100% of new RR owners will continue to call Floyd, Bren or whoever to tune their otherwise superbike.
I wonder if Yamaha R1/M and Honda CBR1000RR made some changes in the power output to meet the US regulations? :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I wonder if Yamaha R1/M and Honda CBR1000RR made some changes in the power output to meet the US regulations? :confused:
There are different ways to comply with the regs and different challenges within any set of hardware. All superbike manufacturers end up constraining the tune in some ways to comply. I haven't followed Yamaha and Honda here with their new bikes, though I haven't seen a tune as severe as for the 2020 RR in the US.

I think a problem is that the RR's stock exhaust is pretty loud and BMW was faced with taking drastic steps in the tune to pass the US certification test. Honda and Yamaha may not have that particular challenge.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Dealer got back to me today. Said all recalls have been done at the factory and bikes are now in transit. As we've learned recently, in transit could still be a long time. Either way it appears early spring may be when bikes start coming into the dealers.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Dealer got back to me today. Said all recalls have been done at the factory and bikes are now in transit. As we've learned recently, in transit could still be a long time. Either way it appears early spring may be when bikes start coming into the dealers.
I got a similar message from my dealer yesterday... he said 250 bikes were being released in the US within the next 30 days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a call from the dealer saying they will be getting more bikes this week as I've been waiting since June. So I went in today and got home from the dealer with my 2020 M sport. My sales rep said there are at least 4-5 more in the port/Germany ready to be shipped to their store/states.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I ordered mine in the beginning of April. A few members were nice enough to point out available bikes in other states but I chose to wait it out a bit due to the few issues the bike had. Now I think everything is worked out "safety wise". Lets see how many side fairings and rear wheel issues we have in the upcoming months with the new released bikes. Hopefully BMW works out the cold start issue. If i do pick up my bike before spring I will be rushing to get the break in miles done since the ground temps will be cold and most likely wet. This way I will be ready for spring and i can install my exhaust over the winter and get any ecu updates that come out before I flash my ecu.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure if this is where I should ask these questions (I'm new to this forum), but I'll ask anyway:

Are the BMW HP parts worth it or should I just get Evotech Performance parts?
Should I get the BMW factory carbon parts or go for the Ilmberger Carbon parts?
I will mainly use my motorcycle for commute/street use, should I get it Brentuned?

The 2020 BMW S1000RR M Package is the first superbike I've ever owned, I have experience in riding 1000cc superbikes, but this is the first one I've ever owned for myself.
I've asked the above questions here because I've yet to find a mechanic who is honest, and I want to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are the BMW HP parts worth it or should I just get Evotech Performance parts?
Should I get the BMW factory carbon parts or go for the Ilmberger Carbon parts?
I will mainly use my motorcycle for commute/street use, should I get it Brentuned?
Parts are based on looks and function. The Evotech stuff is good products and function as designed. Cost is less than the BMW branded parts.
I have the BMW_388 Exwerks flash V1 as he calls it. Works and performs as it should, and the customer service / communication are out standing. Just wish he would sell me the V2 WSBK version he has.

1941 - 1960 of 1961 Posts