BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1958 Posts

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you got the $ why not? I doubt you'll ever look at those carbon wheels and regret buying them.

Having said that you don't need the M on the street. In fact I'd be pretty happy with a Ninja 400 as long as I was riding something.
About the time you need new tires on those Carbon Wheels.. you find out the dealer needs a special tire machine. The dealer decides he needs to recoup those $$$$ fast and charges $200 a tire to change front and rear. Ouch if that is the case.

We have heard already that there is a special tire machine for carbon wheels.

I have my own tire machine and I will make darn sure I build in some additional protection on the holding feet, and the guide duck that slides around the rim. I nicked one of my forged wheels in 2015 with my current duck, but the tire was really too cold to put on there at the time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Any more info on whether the tire monitoring will be through the dash? I'm assuming it will. Is it a similar setup to the R1250GS?

I'm a bit obsessed with checking pressures so this would be great.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have used the same tyre machine for years and have done HP4 Race carbon rims on it. No problems at all. No marks. You need an operator who knows what they're doing.
When I was a 16 Yr old apprentice I was told to change the tyres on a Porsche 930 turbo with custom rims.

Never used the tyre machine before. It did not go well....

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any more info on whether the tire monitoring will be through the dash? I'm assuming it will. Is it a similar setup to the R1250GS?

Its in the cluster. I saw the screen for it on the bike at the Dallas IMS show. It however did not have the TPMS sensors in the wheels and there was ? marks next to the tires.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Its in the cluster. I saw the screen for it on the bike at the Dallas IMS show. It however did not have the TPMS sensors in the wheels and there was ? marks next to the tires.
Excellent.

I made the mistake of not checking my Superduke tires last weekend after a service and thought the dealer would've left them.... Had terrible grip, checked and had 48psi in the rear!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts

Keep in mind that TPM does not work until you are moving. Over 20 MPH. At least that's how it works on all the other models.

I'm OCD about tire pressure as well, so I check them before I leave the house and adjust as necessary. The only benefit to TPM is during the ride, not for pre-ride.

·
Vendor
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There is no problem with the code. BMW just limited the HP to 205 USA vs the Europe ECE code gets an honest 207 Plus. Not the first that I seen the ECE code better than the USA code. I can change the VIN in the ECU so that it loads with ECE code while maintaining all other aspects being equal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dude, I'd have to go all in. Buy once, cry once! You are totally correct about the differences though, at least as far as I've read, but those carbon wheels:nerd: ! I'm partial to the Motorsport paint scheme, too. Can't you tell!
The money difference just doesn't justify the cf wheels alone. The slide control sounds cool. I am not really into the paint scheme either to justify the money difference.

I am not really into the cf look either, the bling. The weight savings on rotating mass sounds cool. And to be honest, if they offered more color options, I would buy the M model. I might see if I could get the cf wheels on the sport model, though. If not, the sport model will do. Heck, I see the 2018 premium, brand new, can be had for 15k. This thought has been crossing my mind lately.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you got the $ why not? I doubt you'll ever look at those carbon wheels and regret buying them.

Having said that you don't need the M on the street. In fact I'd be pretty happy with a Ninja 400 as long as I was riding something.
True. I'll head out to the show this weekend. Hopefully that will help to make up my mind.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There is no problem with the code. BMW just limited the HP to 205 USA vs the Europe ECE code gets an honest 207 Plus. Not the first that I seen the ECE code better than the USA code. I can change the VIN in the ECU so that it loads with ECE code while maintaining all other aspects being equal.
Wouldn't a dealer go crazy if you brought a bike in with a different vin? or is it a region setting?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Is it really that, or is it the fact that the EU hp is actually smaller?
Horsepower to Metric Horsepower | Kyle's Converter

205 US HP equates to 207.84 metric HP.
'Merica! :)

·
4,587 Posts
BMW reports power in Nm for each model, if it were a conversion difference it would have been shown. The difference in HP in US is prob due to EPA and US spec.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
BMW reports power in Nm for each model, if it were a conversion difference it would have been shown. The difference in HP in US is prob due to EPA and US spec.
The EPA doesn't measure hp, and does not provide conversion formulas. It's simple: US and Metric hp have different values:
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/hp-to-watt.html
1 US HP = 745.699872 watts
1 Metric HP = 735.49875 watts

·
4,587 Posts
It's simple: US and Metric hp have different values:
If BMW is listing power figure in NM, and US one is less. What does HP conversion has to do with the difference?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If BMW is listing power figure in NM, and US one is less. What does HP conversion has to do with the difference?
NM is a TORQUE measurement, the metric version of lb-ft, not hp.

·
4,587 Posts
NM is a TORQUE measurement, the metric version of lb-ft, not hp.
Yes, Nm for torque and it's reported to be the same for US and EU models.

kW for power; EU 152 kw at 13.5k RPM, US 151 kw at 13k RPM. Same kw unit, what does power conversion have to do with it? One kw difference is one kw difference.

EU spec:
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/models/sport/s1000rr-2019/technicaldata.html#/section-technical-data

US spec:
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/sport/s1000rr-new/technicaldata.html#/section-technical-data

21 - 40 of 1958 Posts