BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2015 s1000rr bought it used from a friend. I was wondering if I can retrofit DDC on a non DDC machine? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As with most things, with enough money and time I'm certain you could do it. Full suspension, sensors, probably ECU and possibly even a different wiring harness? Might even take a new swing arm as I'm not sure the non DDC model has the provisions in place for the travel sensor? It might but I haven't looked at one to know. I would be willing to bet for less money and significantly less work, you could have a full Ohlins front and rear and be ahead in the long run.

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
Hi, I have a 2015 s1000rr bought it used from a friend. I was wondering if I can retrofit DDC on a non DDC machine? Thanks.
I program these ECU's on the 15 / 16's .. cbreater put it out there pretty good.

You would need programming in the ECU for DDC as the non DDC ECU has no coding for the suspension and the ESA module that is needed.

The wiring harness is completely different NON DDC to DDC optioned.

Here are prices I see typically for parts needed I can think of...

Front forks DDC 15/16 $500 - $900
Rear Shock DDC 15/16 $100 - $400
Wiring harness engine and chassis 15 /16 $100 - $500
ESA module $50 - $200
swing arm with sensor connection $50 - $400 , or you could drill some holes and install time serts into the NON DDC swingarm.
rear sensor $25 - $200
Programming ECU for DDC by me $400 > this avoids having to get a ECU, Cluster, and EWS4 module and Key from a matching set that is DDC bike.

I am sure I forgot some little something, but these are the things I see when I was building programming harness inventory.

·
4,587 Posts
I'll sell you my DDC system. I plan to go with Ohlins. Make me an offer, you get an idea of cost from parts listed above.
You could have complete forks, rear shocks, wiring that goes with them.

My dealership techie said he can disable DDC in my ECU. For your bike, not sure what's needed, but we got BMW_388 for that.

@BMW_388 do I need any wires connected so ECU is happy (once DDC is disabled)? Don't wanna see any errors on dashboard or in gs911.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. The reason I asked is because I could get a set of DDC suspension front and back for a very good price. That is why I was thinking to covert.

Well, now that thought is gone... lol...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the DDC but would actually prefer the traditional suspension. I think you can get a more accurate suspension setup, particularly if you’re a trackgoer. The DDC is complex and probably better for a street rider or road racer who will experience varying terrain on their rides. Also, if you crash, thats just more expensive electronic equipment to replace ...

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
My dealership techie said he can disable DDC in my ECU.

@BMW_388 do I need any wires connected so ECU is happy (once DDC is disabled)? Don't wanna see any errors on dashboard or in gs911.

@z00 .. I can assure you that your local BMW dealer cannot delete DDC on the S1000RR. That code is VIN specific. ISTA P nor D can remove this coding. The dealership does not have the ability to change the code in the ECU to another VIN so that NON-DDC is programmed in. Then the magic is that I can change the VIN back to the original VIN and all is good.

Even Alpha's DDC delete box did not work on @the_gooch bike. He converted to Ohlins suspension, my RCK3 / HP Power kit enables.. I did not have the ability at that time in 2016 to delete DDC coding. He got the Alpha box and it did not remove the !DDC error code from the cluster. I later reprogrammed this stuff for an update and deleted !DDC and code in the ECU for him.

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts
So do you think coding the ECU as a "non-DDC" unit makes a difference for the DTC? I can't help but think that the DDC position inputs (just the rear shock as delivered) are considered when the DTC is working. No?

·
4,587 Posts
RCK could not remove DDC coding but BMW_388 can as he can trick the ECU.

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
@BMW_388 the RCK can remove the DDC correct? But can it also re enable it if you want to fit the DDC back on?
That is correct that RCK3 can disable the DDC coding in the ECU only. This must be done when the PAIRING of the laptop software is paired to the ECU with RCK3. If the suspension is updated after the pairing, then the VIN has to be deleted from RCK3 and repaired again so the DDC question will come up.

The !DDC will still be there on the cluster when the ESA is removed. IF you just leave the ESA on the wiring harness and remove the rear shock and the front fork, the cluster will not display the !DDC

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
That is correct that RCK3 can disable the DDC coding in the ECU only. This must be done when the PAIRING of the laptop software is paired to the ECU with RCK3. If the suspension is updated after the pairing, then the VIN has to be deleted from RCK3 and repaired again so the DDC question will come up.

The !DDC will still be there on the cluster when the ESA is removed. IF you just leave the ESA on the wiring harness and remove the rear shock and the front fork, the cluster will not display the !DDC
So if a bike had the forks and shock removed and the DDC disabled using the RCK. How would you go about fitting the forks and shock back in? Like you say you would just need to delete the vin from the RCK and then re-paired with the bike to enable the DDC?

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
So do you think coding the ECU as a "non-DDC" unit makes a difference for the DTC? I can't help but think that the DDC position inputs (just the rear shock as delivered) are considered when the DTC is working. No?
It is my opinion that DDC and DTC interact.

Ok, I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. I had found 2 documents I was going to share the wording about DTC and DDC interaction. It turned out that the 2nd document I found was not published by BMW. It was published by someone that like me, thinks DDC and DTC interact in the code. I emailed to them and they responded with maybe, and no actual proof.

I have 3 support questions to HP Support right now trying to get this answered. Sadly not even HP Support wants to discuss how RCK3 and HP Power kit enables work on the ECU any longer.

HP support has been eliminated with in BMW. All the people I had talk to in 2016 and 2017 were no longer answering emails in 2018 and now into 2019.

One HP support question was answered about the 2020 RCK4. They indicate that BMW dealers will not handle RCK anything any longer in the USA. Now I am told it is a USA government issue with the EPA that allowing the configuration and change of fueling and timing in the USA is no longer permitted.

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
So if a bike had the forks and shock removed and the DDC disabled using the RCK. How would you go about fitting the forks and shock back in? Like you say you would just need to delete the vin from the RCK and then re-paired with the bike to enable the DDC?

If you turned off DDC with RCK3 on the pairing process it only kills the table in RCK3. It does not write info to the ECU that DDC is removed. That is why the !DDC still comes up on the cluster.

The VO/FA is in the cluster and the ECU. That code is X223A. These codes must be removed to kill DDC completely.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
Yeah the reason I was asking is because I have a friend with a bike that had the forks and shock removed and then turned DDC off with the RCK. Now he wants to fit the forks and shock back in and re enable DDC but the RCK doesn't allow him too. I can modify vehicle orders to do what I want but I figured the RCK should be able to enable if it can disable.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
@z00 .. I can assure you that your local BMW dealer cannot delete DDC on the S1000RR. That code is VIN specific. ISTA P nor D can remove this coding. The dealership does not have the ability to change the code in the ECU to another VIN so that NON-DDC is programmed in. Then the magic is that I can change the VIN back to the original VIN and all is good.

Even Alpha's DDC delete box did not work on @the_gooch bike. He converted to Ohlins suspension, my RCK3 / HP Power kit enables.. I did not have the ability at that time in 2016 to delete DDC coding. He got the Alpha box and it did not remove the !DDC error code from the cluster. I later reprogrammed this stuff for an update and deleted !DDC and code in the ECU for him.
I still intend to have you remove my !DDC and rck3 etc. on my 2015, unfortunately my budget went to valve adjustment this winter :(

·
4,587 Posts
I still intend to have you remove my !DDC and rck3 etc. on my 2015, unfortunately my budget went to valve adjustment this winter :(
Don't you do the valves adjustment yourself? If they were in spec, was costs are involved? Mostly time and gaskets?

I'm gonna think twice before getting DDC. Some think it's not a big deal, but dealing with these issues is a PITA. Only if BMW offers an upgraded suspension package for track addicts.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Just curious if Alpha have addressed this issue, so it does indeed disable the DDC. Seems to be an expensive item to buy and not work?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Don't you do the valves adjustment yourself? If they were in spec, was costs are involved? Mostly time and gaskets?

I'm gonna think twice before getting DDC. Some think it's not a big deal, but dealing with these issues is a PITA. Only if BMW offers an upgraded suspension package for track addicts.
I didn’t have the time to adjust so I took it to the dealer

DDC removal is just to get rid of the annoying light, there’s no functional difference

1 - 20 of 20 Posts