BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and BMW motorcycles. I have been a lifelong GSXR owner/rider, but just picked up my 2021 S1000RR on Saturday. I've purchased some aftermarket parts already and have a full Akrapovic exhaust arriving this week. I have a lot to learn about BMW, so all comments/suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome! There are lots of knowledgeable people here! Enjoy the bike and the site!

·
8,410 Posts
Welcome!

What kind of tune are you thinking of using with the full system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome!

I mistakenly believed the dealership when they told me a tune wasn't required for the Akrapovic full exhaust replacement. However, after reading many of the posts on here, it appears it is necessary. So far, I noticed many members are using Brentuning and appear pleased with the results. I was debating between the M+ and the stage 1. I don't track the bike and living in Northern Virginia, the congestion is really bad, which means I"m usually always stuck in traffic (I want to ensure the fan/cooling occurs because of being stuck in traffic). I realize the best tune they have is a stage 2, but I also don't want to remove the intake flappers (it's also expensive). I just want to make sure the bike runs well. Any suggestions?

·
8,410 Posts
I just want to make sure the bike runs well. Any suggestions?
I suggest you do your research. For a street bike, you just need the restrictions removed. Best if you can find a dyno tuner by you that flashes S1ks.
There are many flashes around, all depends on your goal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome!

I am also worried about my warranty since it's a brand new bike. I wonder if I can get the exhaust changed at the dealership and flash the ECU once the warranty expires. Thoughts?
I suggest you do your research. For a street bike, you just need the restrictions removed. Best if you can find a dyno tuner by you that flashes S1ks.
There are many flashes around, all depends on your goal.
Thank you, I found one that is five miles from the BMW dealership. They're going to Dyno it with the OEM exhaust for free then Dyno it with the full Akrapovic exhaust and once my warranty expires, they will tune it for me.

·
8,410 Posts
Thank you, I found one that is five miles from the BMW dealership. They're going to Dyno it with the OEM exhaust for free then Dyno it with the full Akrapovic exhaust and once my warranty expires, they will tune it for me.
Can you update us here on dyno difference? Are they flashing the bike or using a piggy back like Rapidbike/PCV? You just need a flash.
Better check with dealership on what they recommend to get rid of the flat spot under 8k, also you may want flash after the 600mile services so flash is not overwritten by any dealership updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you update us here on dyno difference? Are they flashing the bike or using a piggy back like Rapidbike/PCV? You just need a flash.
Better check with dealership on what they recommend to get rid of the flat spot under 8k, also you may want flash after the 600mile services so flash is not overwritten by any dealership updates.
Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I'm waiting until I have completed the initial 600 mile service at the BMW dealership. I will then get the bike on the Dyno with the OEM header/can. I will then take the bike back to BMW to remove/replace the OEM header/can with a full TI Akrapovic exhaust. Once that is complete, I'm getting the bike back on the Dyno without any tune/ECU flash for data. After my warranty expires, I will get it back and get it tuned by the same shop with the Dyno.

I can absolutely share the Dyno data in the forum once I obtain it.

On a separate note, during my initial inspection (once I got the bike home), I found the bottom left fairing panel with a broken piece where the nut plate slides onto it (my belief is that the screw was over torqued and the plastic gave way to the nut plate). I contacted the dealership immediately and they're ordering/replacing it (warranty). In addition, I also found a cut/broken o-ring on my chain. I sent an email to the dealership with pictures and waiting on response.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been talking to the BMW folks and they told me it could still be possible that BMW asserts that an engine issue is caused by the Akrapovic headers and they won't cover that specific issue (I just had this discussion with them yesterday). What I interpret is that BMW could always assert that whatever was done caused the problem. At the end of the day it comes down to risk and accepting the risk of an issue not being covered. As soon as a part is changed, BMW could (the dealership didn't say they would, but could) articulate it resulted in the inoperability/failure of an associated component. All of that information is leading me to determine the likelihood of a malfunction if I don't flash/tune versus a malfunction if I do flash/tune. I think, at least so far, based on the information in this community and the dealership service folks, I will flash/tune it after the exhaust change. Either way I am accepting risk by changing the exhaust. I believe, as many have asserted, it's better to do it right if it's going to be done.

·
Registered
2012 S1000RR, 2019 S1000R
5 Posts
Welcome fellow Mid-Atlantic guy. You're really not far from Summit Point up near Charlestown, WV. If I was going to shell out the coin for a full Akrapovic system on a '21 RR, I'd be looking to do some track days up that way, but that's me. Good luck with the new scoot: I can't imagine fighting NOVA traffic on an RR, but you are close to some fine riding over in WV (Route 50) etc. etc. etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome fellow Mid-Atlantic guy. You're really not far from Summit Point up near Charlestown, WV. If I was going to shell out the coin for a full Akrapovic system on a '21 RR, I'd be looking to do some track days up that way, but that's me. Good luck with the new scoot: I can't imagine fighting NOVA traffic on an RR, but you are close to some fine riding over in WV (Route 50) etc. etc. etc. Good luck!
Thank you, appreciate the suggestions and I'm sure I will make my way to Summit Point. I'm attending my very first CSS in a couple of weeks at the New Jersey Raceway. I'm very excited and it will be my first time on a track! Hopefully after that, I will be able to use the lessons and build on them at Summit Point. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Welcome, and congrats! BMW_388 (TX) is also a potential source for a tune if I remember. He's full of great info, as is bennymx (down undah).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum and BMW motorcycles. I have been a lifelong GSXR owner/rider, but just picked up my 2021 S1000RR on Saturday. I've purchased some aftermarket parts already and have a full Akrapovic exhaust arriving this week. I have a lot to learn about BMW, so all comments/suggestions are welcome.
Welcome. I'm in NOVA as well. Bought a 2020 S1000rr from M.O.D. I've done a few mods since picking mine up. Akra titanium, filter, IAT sensor relo, Brentune stage one from a great guy in Sterling, VA and lots of carbon fiber. The Brenrune guy is called RNR cycles in Sterling about 10 miles up rt 7. did great work for me and it was a huge performance improvement. Good luck and enjoy the new bike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts