BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm new to motorcycle track days, and would like to know what are the best ways to get into the sport? I am located in King of Prussia, PA.
I went to my first one last fall with California Superbike School at NJMP, and therefore fell in love with the S1000RR and how I ended up here.

I would like to do 2-3 per year (spring, summer, fall ideally), trying to stay within a 1.5 hour radius to where I live if possible.
Does it make more sense to join a club to do so?
What are the best beginner classes / clubs around?
Any road courses to stay away from?

Looking forward to meet you folks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
2-3 times a year, I guarantee that will change.
I said the same and now do about 12 a year.

As SRO mentioned, NJMP is a great track to attend if you don't plan on commuting far. Summit may be about 2 hours away from you, but also very cool track. Motorcycle Xcitement who hosts track days there are awesome.

You can attend any organization as a guest whether teampromotion or Absolute Cycle. All depends upon how often you want to go will be the determining factor when signing up.
Do you plan on trailering your bike there or riding?

I also do Sunday rides with another forum member on here to Ephrata if you were ever interested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@s-eins I would be down for a ride out to Ephrata when you all go. What's out there? PM me details anytime!

I'm not really certain yet, I'd like to get a vehicle which I could trailer, but don't have one today. Might try it with riding out to start, but I know it'll be somewhat awful (not sure where I'll put drinks / tools / etc). I used to do car track days, but there is not a feeling of "man and machine" quite like motorcycles!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Count me in for an Ephrata run. PM if anyone is going.

Ephrata PA is a first Sunday morning of the month event for all types of bikes. This time of year it will be a 100 bikes--assuming no icey roads. A June/July month is 1,000+ bikes. It tough to miss with police directing traffic into the local VFW/ball field.

I try to visit once a year. But it's a great launching point to PA 501 to PA 125.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Count me in for an Ephrata run. PM if anyone is going.

Ephrata PA is a first Sunday morning of the month event for all types of bikes. This time of year it will be a 100 bikes--assuming no icey roads. A June/July month is 1,000+ bikes. It tough to miss with police directing traffic into the local VFW/ball field.

I try to visit once a year. But it's a great launching point to PA 501 to PA 125.
:surprise::surprise::surprise:
We should try to do an April or May date and get a good group of us up?
I assume there is a ridiculous amount of hoonery but still fun to meet up. Instead of PM'ing, we should get a new thread together for that (I've never been so wouldn't really be good at organizing it for us), perhaps meet in King of Prussia and ride up together?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
@s-eins Might try it with riding out to start, but I know it'll be somewhat awful (not sure where I'll put drinks / tools / etc).
Please don't do that. Even if you have stellar physical conditioning, it will suck on sooooooo many levels, you will regret it, in so many different ways.

As someone else pointed out in a post last year, rent a U-Haul cargo van (same as full size passenger van but with only 2 seats open area behind), or a small rental moving box truck for a day.
They come with a/c and you can sleep overnight at the track in it, and be rested and ready, as most orgs require early safety meeting attendance.
One of the main reasons to join a particular club is to enjoy a discount on trackday fees.
It may not make financial sense if you are sure that you will only participate in 2 or 3 trackdays in a year, to pay the membership fee, to net ~$70-$100 savings on three trackday admission fees.
Roadracingworld publishes a yearly trackday directory which is a great resource to compare the difference in organizations, where and how frequently they visit certain tracks AND the individual circuits of a particular track. VIR has 6-7 different configurations, as an example.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just did my first track day and could not imagine having to ride my bike home. Definately worth the extra cash and effort to rent something comfortable for the drive home.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I just did my first track day and could not imagine having to ride my bike home. Definately worth the extra cash and effort to rent something comfortable for the drive home.
Where did you go, Cresson?
EDIT...Just saw your other post, congratulations. Sounds like the ideal first trackday. I always wanted to go when I lived in Allen, but it was during my bikeless period.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Where did you go, Cresson?
Indeed. I joined a local club that has a group membership. For a minimal monthly fee, I have access to MSR member days for $150 and access to a garage there.

As you are aware, I am in Las Colinas so it is a 1 hour or so drive southwest.

I had my RR and my pals brought their 2016 RSV4 RF, Tuono, and a 675R.

So, not that I am a now a track day regular, I now know that even with a cushy ride home, the mental and physical drain from the day will not only make you miserable, but to ride home would be potentially dangerous and best avoided.

Pops, did you ride there when you were in the area?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Indeed. I joined a local club that has a group membership. For a minimal monthly fee, I have access to MSR member days for $150 and access to a garage there.

So, not that I am a now a track day regular, I now know that even with a cushy ride home, the mental and physical drain from the day will not only make you miserable, but to ride home would be potentially dangerous and best avoided.

I edited my post probably while you wrote yours.
No but I always wanted to.
On Fridays and sometimes Mondays I would drive passed there while at work, and see either Porsches or bikes ripping around there. I'd park the truck momentarily on the side of 171 or 377 and watch for a bit, when I could afford to, before continuing work. It seemed from my vantage point, there was a lot of visibility around most of the track. Like you, living in Allen made it not much of a chore to get to, either.

The mental and physical demands of being "on it" for what would seem like a minimal amount of time, to the uninitiated, is overstated. I know, at one point in my life I reasoned that I would bust a$$ in the mountains for 6-8 hour street ride, so 20 minute sessions with a 40 minute break, 6-8 times during the course of a day would be cake. I mean I was never spent after those rides, and I covered a lot of ground.

The thing I discounted (simply ignored) was on those street rides, I had the luxury of rolling off the throttle, relaxing for several minutes and there were only ever intermittent times I was actually riding feloniously.
Riding on the track taxes you mentally in ways many don't appreciate until they actually do it, and in turn it taxes you physically, in addition to the physical exertion.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts

Van,

This is a little off the original post, but you pay $150/month? I live in Allen, TX and would be interested in general, but probably not for $150/month. I also have the problem of transportation back/forth.

Interestingly, there is a new racetrack in Anna, but not sure if supports motorcycles on not. I inquired with the owner, Lou G, but he hasn't replied.

A MOTORSPORTS COUNTRY CLUB FOR THE CAR ENTHUSIAST ? ANNA, TEXAS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts