BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all!

Im new here so hopefully posting this in the proper area and also brand new to the S1000rr! Just picked up a 2012 Sunday to build into a dedicated track bike! Its totally stock now but not for long!! haha Aside from build work i gotta do are there any common maintenance items or issues i should look for or check out as i tear into it? has 15k miles and the previous owner had all the receipts for the regular maintenance items he had the dealer do. He had everything done like in half the mileages shown in the book. even two valve checks. :rolleyes: lol Previous guy had a couple receipts for recall stuff but rest just regular maintenance, no repairs and he bought it brand new. rides great no issues that I can tell.

Im good for checking common stuff like brake pad checkouts, chains, loose bolts, cracks etc but looking for more 1st gen S1000RR stuff especially since this guys going from no track time to full track time.:cool: i ride the track a lot so wanting to everything to check out for a good experience.

Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Upgrade front fork internals.
Upgrade rear shock.
Change springs to suit your weight.
Flash ecu with RCK2.
Change fairings to glass fiber fairings.
Modify the seat area, make it flat (slightly tilted forward) and wide also on the front part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Upgrade front fork internals.
Upgrade rear shock.
Change springs to suit your weight.
Flash ecu with RCK2.
Change fairings to glass fiber fairings.
Modify the seat area, make it flat (slightly tilted forward) and wide also on the front part.
Thanks speedfinn!!

Yeah definately needs some mods for sure. Getting ready to tear it down to start the track build. Suspension is on my list. Riding it home i noticed it wasnt for me. Haha. That seats(n) gone with the fairing change.

Need to look it over for any common s1krr issues it may have from 8 years of use and abuse. Haha

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Later you might add full exhaust system (for the RCK2 to work better)
You do not need full exhaust system for the RCK2 to work better.
RCK2 works with stock exhaust system 100%.

The only real difference is that you may gain 1-3 hp with full exhaust system.
And you lose a lot of weight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do not need full exhaust system for the RCK2 to work better.
RCK2 works with stock exhaust system 100%.

The only real difference is that you may gain 1-3 hp with full exhaust system.
And you lose a lot of weight.
Ok makes sense . Definitely can loose some weight too.

Need to check out what the previous owner may have neglected next then I'll get started on the mods.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
755 Posts
Your bike doesn't really have any factory "issues" that you need to specifically look at, so most everything are mods. I might be doing a general look-over for loose bolts, etc. If it's a 2012, no doubt the forks need servicing/oil change. I would highly recommend having the suspension set for YOUR weight by the suspension tech that's usually at most trackdays. I will tell you this, our models are known to be difficult to turn in. The 2020 fixed all that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your bike doesn't really have any factory "issues" that you need to specifically look at, so most everything are mods. I might be doing a general look-over for loose bolts, etc. If it's a 2012, no doubt the forks need servicing/oil change. I would highly recommend having the suspension set for YOUR weight by the suspension tech that's usually at most trackdays. I will tell you this, our models are known to be difficult to turn in. The 2020 fixed all that.
Awesome. Good to hear that. Asking since im not familiar with em yet.

Also incase the previous owner should have done somethin and didnt or just from 8 years of any abuse he did and somethings stressed. Lol looks like he followed the book plus did things way early too so that probably good. Haha. He had the dealer do everything it looks like, fork oil done last August. Yeah it really needs to be setup for me. Hes a small guy and im a good 60+ pounds heavier than him im sure. Lol so it definitely needs to be set up for me and maybe some other work as well. I noticed the turn in issue too.

On the surface the bike looks pretty good like he maybe kept it up plus had all receipts and paperwork. I rode it about 200 miles bringing it home and noticed a couple of probably small things. Used the quick shifter a lot an thought 1-2 shifts rough with the others much better but seemed like it missed an upshift in other gears a couple times. Reading the 1-2 can be harsh. Thinking the other gearshift misses were im tall so probably my big boot not fitting in there right and some upgraded rearsets will fix that. Being larger its a different fit for me. Lol Texted the previous owner he said he didnt have an issue with it but rarely used it. :unsure: Using it I kept it tached up and pinned upshifting.

Lower speed at first it seemed to have a slight surge and maybe a rough sound idling but thats all completely gone after the ride home. Even starting it today. Heard maybe some timing chain noise for a brief monent today after its sat for a couple days.

Probabla a decent ride and should be legit when the mods are complete.

Thanks skydivr!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts