BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a member on here who recently started teaching his son how to ride. I thought it might be a good idea to collect some pointers, advice, and guidance here. I know some of this stuff is already in various posts on this forum, but it might be nice to have one source here.

Please take some time to tell us how you started out, what helped you learn, and what you would do differently.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I started riding on a Honda Trail 50 when I was about 10 years old. I lived in an area that had plenty of woods that could be ridden so the natural progression was through dirt bikes. I moved up to a 1976 Yamaha 125 Enduro and then a 1984 Honda CR250. When I hit 16 I bought my first road bike, a 1986 Suzuki GS650 and rode that bike all through high school.

I know its all subject to opinion, but I believe that starting on dirt really helped give me an understanding for riding the bike and the mechanics involved. I feel like I am a much better rider for it and would suggest it to anyone that has the availability to go that route. Its how I taught my wife and both my boys how to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I started on mini bikes and dirt bikes when I was about 8.
Once I turned 16 I took the (mandatory if under 18) MSF course on my 1978 Yamaha DT175 enduro, and continued to ride that bike on the street until I bought my first street bike. A brand new 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago at 17. (Yeah..I'm that old)

After amassing nearly 300,000 miles since, on over a dozen street bikes, I thought I was pretty experienced.
Until I started doing track days and advanced riding courses. I've learned more since doing that than I did in those first 300k miles.

I'm now ashamed that I felt like an experienced motorcyclist during those first 30 years on the streets.

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is a member on here who recently started teaching his son how to ride. I thought it might be a good idea to collect some pointers, advice, and guidance here. I know some of this stuff is already in various posts on this forum, but it might be nice to have one source here.

Please take some time to tell us how you started out, what helped you learn, and what you would do differently.
I wrote two articles that touch on this subject seeing as I'm teaching my two little ones, now 6 and 4 how to ride. The 6 year old is road racing and the 4 year old is just learning how to ride the PW50.

Here are links to them both! I hope they help :)

11 Awesome Tips for Coaching Your Kids: | MotoMom

Are Your Kids Ready to Ride? | MotoMom

Misti

·
Registered
502 Posts
My first solo riding experience was on my brother's XR600 through one of his mates bush property's.

He just put me on it, showed me how to get it kicked over and started. Throttle, clutch, brake, gear shift lever - off I went.

Ain't nuthin' like kicking one of those over again and again to get you able to slip a clutch to keep the thing going.

It took me a few years to get to the track, and a few more to really start reading about the theory of riding. Track time, reading and really putting some thought into how to be a better rider is what has had the most significant impact for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts