BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi another new member here, lurking soaking in all the info and banter and such for couple years now thought about time I said hi. And unsurprisingly 4th post will be about my electrical problem but I promise to stay after I sort it and tell everyone how I fixed it... why no one bothers is being me.
Anyway..... I’mUK based had few bikes in past over the years picked up a 2011 thunder grey couple years ago and was amazed at both its ballistic qualities at making my aging hip ache for clinging on to its stick it in 3rd and twist and go automatic-esque ability around crappy uk roads with farmers and hedges everywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI all, many apologies for the near year long delay, shortly after writing my initial request, i became a tad ill with the Covid faff and was out of action for quite a while, earlier this year i was able to try to ride again and started to think once again about the issue.
Firstly many thanks to bennymx for offering such a swift response and (forgive the blowing smoke) thought "yay if anyone can help me that'll be the mighty BENNYMX ! "

Anyway the problem i had was the common issue of losing dash abs/dtc flash and --- error on dash with check light on until restart. would happen only under hard acceleration at first and really put a downer on it all for a while.
Came here and looked and read and read about battery/wiring loom chaffing etc.
When i asked the question originally i had some clips where i replicated it out on street riding, id accelerate up and the error would pop up soon as the Rev hit 7.5k
I'd replaced the battery in the spring last year with a new slightly bigger 14ah as had alarm and used to have to keep trickle charging. maybe id upset something...
so seat off tail off and checked battery against old one/checked terminals rode out and same......
MOT was coming up so as it went in i asked if they could just check any error codes without charging for diagnostics (bit broke at time...hell im always broke..) the only thing that came back was DTC signal CANBUS error
i'd hoped for maybe a sensor issue and something i could just plug in and fix, no such luck.
as i didnt want to ride without it and being that i still had to work through lockdown it was not the best time
If i rode less than 7k was fine, but i took off tank/panels etc the lot and checked all the wiring from rear to front, no chaffing, no rubbing, no bare wires or pinches. all nuts/bolts correct, connectors fine.
no sensor errors, no abs sensor damage. Then became ill and didn't matter anymore.
A year later nearly and was cleaning over the bike thinking what to do, i thought i could clean up the ACF50 residue that had collected dust and wipe the bike down and polish maybe to sell on.
i took the tank top cover off as i spray and wipe over the ECU area and top of the airbox etc during big cleans and pulled the ECU forward to move the tank up and noticed the top of the rubber grommet that sits on the back of the ECU had been squashed, it had large indents on the top and looked in bad way.
Hmmmm... maybe id not pushed it back in properly last time and the tank was pushing the ECU down...then it hit me that maybe the vibrations was causing a resonance issue as looking at the gopro clips it was always on the way bacj down the rev range at exactly 7.5k never on the way up
Put it all back together and issue gone, really happy bunny......

Never got to put it up here and really wanted to say thank you to BennyMX and the warm welcomes, plus i do look at posts wishing people would update on issues as they must have clearly fixed it.

So here is another fix for the --- dash/abs/dtc cluster error...put the ECU back properly

now ive got a rattle.....ignition lock, tinny rattle over 7-8k...annoying but who cares.......well i do actually so ill drag off the yoke one day and fix it......typical my luck..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happy to help with your issue mate. Post it up in here if you like.
Thanks for the welcome and the offer of help, as explained above has some health issues and wanted to come back and keep my promise of the resolution and to say awesome to have been welcomed in such as way from yourself and others. Thanks Bennymx 👍🏼

1 - 9 of 9 Posts