BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member. Shopping sport bikes to pick up this winter. Currently have a R1200GSA, going to add either a Panigale or a RR this winter and doing my research

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah well you will find mixed reviews here on the current RR.
yeah...ive started to notice that.

i was really happy with my Ducati Multistrada and Ive been equally happy with my current BMW. Both were fantastic bikes. My GS is 5 years old and i have it set up well and no intention of selling her....totally reiable across 3 continents. Full akra, lambda shifters, brentune, touratech coilovers, etc etc. its a great touring and commuting bike.

I think some of the features make the RR the better road bike compared to the Pani, but after setting up equally the price difference is almost zero.

my fear, which anecdotally seems to be the case for some members here, is that production delays are leading to rush builds from part vendors. This in almost every Manufacturing case, regardless of industry, leads to QC issues. so im here to watch and learn and see. Im not big on paying eary adopter taxes or to be a beta tester, and my guess is it will take until 2021.5 build dates for the bikes to be “right”

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I think there is some random chance to it also, as I've not had any problems with my 2020.

I suspect (but don't know) that we're on the downside of the "new model blues" curve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah itll be new. @cjc i hope youre right about the downside. The rr has always been a great bike.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Yeah - new models are a mixed blessing. I've never avoided a new model that has a good dealer network.

For me, after logic eliminates a few contenders I buy whatever I'm most excited about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - new models are a mixed blessing. I've never avoided a new model that has a good dealer network.

For me, after logic eliminates a few contenders I buy whatever I'm most excited about.
im the same. My brain says RR. My
heart says V4 916 Anniversario.....

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I wanted something with electronics that might save me from myself on track, but also relative comfort for street. That was the RR for me. I never would have guessed how much I like cruise control, heated grips, and phone integration with the dash for navigation.

All that said, the V4 is so beautiful it makes my dick hurt! I saw a V4R at track - love it but it would break my heart to crash it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
makes total sense. Im right there with you on the electronics, but personally not as concerned with the creature comforts since The Queen is letting this be a “second bike”.

the ‘15 GSA is a great all purpose bike and plenty comfortable for camping/touring. Especially with the Touratech suspension. If I do end up with a RR, the touratechs will be on it before i take delivery. Theyre simply sublime.

I wanted something with electronics that might save me from myself on track, but also relative comfort for street. That was the RR for me. I never would have guessed how much I like cruise control, heated grips, and phone integration with the dash for navigation.

All that said, the V4 is so beautiful it makes my dick hurt! I saw a V4R at track - love it but it would break my heart to crash it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never ridden the previous generation s1k's but I loving my 2020! Cant wait till it gets cold so I finally put these heated grips to use!

·
4,727 Posts
Test ride and go by you application. If you do long distance, cold weather riding, RR would beat V4 in that regard.
Otherwise, 2020 V4 has some nice tweaks for it. V4s is overpriced for a street bike, but you can get a decent deal on a base V4. For the track I cannot find anything more fun than a 600.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im keeping my GS, so this is a second bike, so touring comfort and cold weather arent as high on the priority list. Although i do agree. The RR has advantages over the v4 if its your only bike. Cruise. Grips. Etc.

the v4 is expensive, but once you spec out a m package RR and upgrade the ddc to something ohlins spec, the prices are the same Pretty much.

Test ride and go by you application. If you do long distance, cold weather riding, RR would beat V4 in that regard.
Otherwise, 2020 V4 has some nice tweaks for it. V4s is overpriced for a street bike, but you can get a decent deal on a base V4. For the track I cannot find anything more fun than a 600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts