BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey whats up all!

New member here from pacific northwest wa state and first time s1krr owner. Just acquired a new to me rr yesterday. Woot woot! Only a first gen tho, 2012 so nothing special yet, totally stock haha but with a TON of help from mods its slated to be my new dedicated track bike. Yes! Its like totally stock so that has GOT to change! Haha. Immediate build plans track plastics obviously, exhaust and full dyno tune. De catting it should lose a ton of weight, that cats gross! Lol Probably drop the chain size and gearing. See what the dyno tuning says. ?

Had a nice 200+ mile romp getting it home through some awesome roads. Got to put it through some paces and enjoy it the last time its in street form. Hahaha. My first observations are the suspension needs upgrading and/or dialed in. power needs some help, under about 10k, not much and over is decent. Tuning with a new pipe etc should help a bunch. Needs to lose some weight where it can to would help so got a lot of research on here to see what absolutely needed and what can go. Lol. stock alarm system is definitely dead weight. Hahaha. Came with bmw rear soft luggage and a tank bag plus some other stock parts, keys and fob too. sweet. Guy I got it from purchased it new and had all the receipts for everything. He had the dealer change the oil too, hahahaha. Has TC and abs so maybe all the options too, not sure. fairly new set of tires on it too but the track will eat em up. Hahaha

SUPER stoked about getting the build started!! Realistically several stages depending on finances and when its not on the track!!! Gotta lot of reading on here to help me make my goal and do it right. Want to brush up on any common issues associated with the 12’s that need upgraded. Prolly get the plastics all off tomorrow, see what’s in there and get ready to dig in. Once I find out what all stock stuffs not needed or modded and has no track benefit it can go to fund more mods!

Planning to transform it from what it is to a track beast eventually! ? Hoping it serves me well for a few years unless im too optimistic. LOL Got 3 out of my r1 track bike before I blew it last fall so don’t wana pooch this one anytime soon. :-/ Its definitely gonna see a lot of track time as this guys addicted!! LOL I hit it up tons of times last year alone and with a new toy hoping for more. ?

Sucky pic but only one I snagged so far but she appears good shape.. probably should get more before tearing it down for the build. Almost ready to rip!!

Ride safe all!!! ?

·
Registered
755 Posts
You guys have some GREAT roads to ride for sure. Check out PNW Riders they have a great forum, and if you really want to have some fun, do some trackdays up there. A friend of mine coaches for several of the orgs there. GoFast is one of them. ENJOY

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on for sure!! Thanks for the forum tip too! I do ride several tracks around here. Im in about the middle of three different tracks I can travel to fairly easily which is awesome. definitely spoiled there. LOL Looking forward to getting the bike tuned and built up for some fun times this season. Im sure I will enjoy it! haha. Thanks!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey whats up all!

New member here from pacific northwest wa state and first time s1krr owner. Just acquired a new to me rr yesterday. Woot woot! Only a first gen tho, 2012 so nothing special yet, totally stock haha but with a TON of help from mods its slated to be my new dedicated track bike. Yes! Its like totally stock so that has GOT to change! Haha. Immediate build plans track plastics obviously, exhaust and full dyno tune. De catting it should lose a ton of weight, that cats gross! Lol Probably drop the chain size and gearing. See what the dyno tuning says. ?

Had a nice 200+ mile romp getting it home through some awesome roads. Got to put it through some paces and enjoy it the last time its in street form. Hahaha. My first observations are the suspension needs upgrading and/or dialed in. power needs some help, under about 10k, not much and over is decent. Tuning with a new pipe etc should help a bunch. Needs to lose some weight where it can to would help so got a lot of research on here to see what absolutely needed and what can go. Lol. stock alarm system is definitely dead weight. Hahaha. Came with bmw rear soft luggage and a tank bag plus some other stock parts, keys and fob too. sweet. Guy I got it from purchased it new and had all the receipts for everything. He had the dealer change the oil too, hahahaha. Has TC and abs so maybe all the options too, not sure. fairly new set of tires on it too but the track will eat em up. Hahaha

SUPER stoked about getting the build started!! Realistically several stages depending on finances and when its not on the track!!! Gotta lot of reading on here to help me make my goal and do it right. Want to brush up on any common issues associated with the 12’s that need upgraded. Prolly get the plastics all off tomorrow, see what’s in there and get ready to dig in. Once I find out what all stock stuffs not needed or modded and has no track benefit it can go to fund more mods!

Planning to transform it from what it is to a track beast eventually! ? Hoping it serves me well for a few years unless im too optimistic. LOL Got 3 out of my r1 track bike before I blew it last fall so don’t wana pooch this one anytime soon. :-/ Its definitely gonna see a lot of track time as this guys addicted!! LOL I hit it up tons of times last year alone and with a new toy hoping for more. ?

Sucky pic but only one I snagged so far but she appears good shape.. probably should get more before tearing it down for the build. Almost ready to rip!!

Ride safe all!!! ?
Nice bike! I love my 2012. I really dig the red/black & would own that color too if I had the cash & space. Welcome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice bike! I love my 2012. I really dig the red/black & would own that color too if I had the cash & space. Welcome!

Thanks!!!! Yeah looks pretty clean. Previous owner seems to have kept it up for sure. Im super stoked about getting it modded up as a track bike. Reds pretty sweet but not sure what color it will be when i swap over to new track fairings. Could be painted totally different. Haha. Excited about the build especially getting a real exhaust on it with a dyno tune to see how much improvement i get outta it! More bikes would be fun. This ones it here, i just ride the track anymore and i blew my r1 end of last season so its toast.?

Enjoy your ride!!?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks!!!! Yeah looks pretty clean. Previous owner seems to have kept it up for sure. Im super stoked about getting it modded up as a track bike. Reds pretty sweet but not sure what color it will be when i swap over to new track fairings. Could be painted totally different. Haha. Excited about the build especially getting a real exhaust on it with a dyno tune to see how much improvement i get outta it! More bikes would be fun. This ones it here, i just ride the track anymore and i blew my r1 end of last season so its toast.?

Enjoy your ride!!?
  1. Thanks. I hope to take mine to Barber later this year. Marcel Irnie had success with the setup of his second generation bikes. Not sure how the 2020 is working out. Hope to ride one at Barber in May. Have fun & post pics when you get it set up. Race mode is fun/exhilarating. Haven’t found the stones to try Slick yet but working on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  1. Thanks. I hope to take mine to Barber later this year. Marcel Irnie had success with the setup of his second generation bikes. Not sure how the 2020 is working out. Hope to ride one at Barber in May. Have fun & post pics when you get it set up. Race mode is fun/exhilarating. Haven’t found the stones to try Slick yet but working on it.
Yup. its gonna be fun! planned on tearing it down today but think i wana research more on how to a little more first. would suck to break something that someone might be able to use. plus should tear down the old track bike to get that stuff boxed and ready to sell. should have that done today and it will be go on the rr tomorrow. haha.

youll get there. most important, go at your own pace. about 6 years track time for me. a little street riding prior to that till i realized it wasnt for me after riding the track once! haha. i was full on this guy as i could bringing it back cause i was used to my old track bike. it was built some so it had noticeably more power than my '12 but im sure its pretty choked being stock. Definitely gonna change that. lol

:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup. its gonna be fun! planned on tearing it down today but think i wana research more on how to a little more first. would suck to break something that someone might be able to use. plus should tear down the old track bike to get that stuff boxed and ready to sell. should have that done today and it will be go on the rr tomorrow. haha.

youll get there. most important, go at your own pace. about 6 years track time for me. a little street riding prior to that till i realized it wasnt for me after riding the track once! haha. i was full on this guy as i could bringing it back cause i was used to my old track bike. it was built some so it had noticeably more power than my '12 but im sure its pretty choked being stock. Definitely gonna change that. lol

:cool:
I had my WERA license about 20 years ago first on an FZR 400 then a Ninja 750. It felt good to get back on the track. I plan on trying some track days locally at Gateway and heard the National Corvette Museum is a fun track. I loved Barber last year. This year they’ll have a new surface. Good luck with track prep & hope you have fun on your first run out. I’d like to try Dunlop Q4’s on my bike but Q3+’s have some good deals

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my WERA license about 20 years ago first on an FZR 400 then a Ninja 750. It felt good to get back on the track. I plan on trying some track days locally at Gateway and heard the National Corvette Museum is a fun track. I loved Barber last year. This year they’ll have a new surface. Good luck with track prep & hope you have fun on your first run out. I’d like to try Dunlop Q4’s on my bike but Q3+’s have some good deals

Oh right on!!! gonna be fun for sure! :)

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
You guys have some GREAT roads to ride for sure. Check out PNW Riders they have a great forum, and if you really want to have some fun, do some trackdays up there. A friend of mine coaches for several of the orgs there. GoFast is one of them. ENJOY
Welcome pnw_s1krr.
Always nice to see other S1K riders in the PNW. If you've been here long then you should know that Mark DeGross owns and runs the 2Fast track day org, not GoFast as skydivr was trying to remember. He's located in Bothell, WA (2Fast). When you are ready for a tune go see Nels at 2 Wheel DynoWorks in Kirkland (Contact Us – 2 Wheel DynoWorks).

Personally, the PNW Riders web site has been nearly dead for a few years. I check in every once in a while but they have a private Facebook group that's way more active. You might find some info there or meet PNW riders.

Anyway, welcome on board.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome pnw_s1krr.
Always nice to see other S1K riders in the PNW. If you've been here long then you should know that Mark DeGross owns and runs the 2Fast track day org, not GoFast as skydivr was trying to remember. He's located in Bothell, WA (2Fast). When you are ready for a tune go see Nels at 2 Wheel DynoWorks in Kirkland (Contact Us – 2 Wheel DynoWorks).

Personally, the PNW Riders web site has been nearly dead for a few years. I check in every once in a while but they have a private Facebook group that's way more active. You might find some info there or meet PNW riders.

Anyway, welcome on board.

Hey thanks Rainman!!

Yeah I've done 2fasts events many times. Always had fun doing it too. The ridge has the best track ive ridden and its not too far which is awesome.

Definately gonna contact Nels when im ready. Got some work ahead of me yet before im ready but wont be too long. Should be a capable track toy when im done!!

Awesome forum here, been searching posts for tips.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the board. I’m local as well. That bike looks familiar, might have seen it posted for sale in sequim? I got my 2012 a couple months ago. Only had 108 miles on it?

I’m currently installing a full exhaust on mine. Found a super deal on a titanium devil exhaust on eBay. Brand new from 2011...

I have a gs-911 and the steering stem bolt tool if you ever need it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the board. I’m local as well. That bike looks familiar, might have seen it posted for sale in sequim? I got my 2012 a couple months ago. Only had 108 miles on it?

I’m currently installing a full exhaust on mine. Found a super deal on a titanium devil exhaust on eBay. Brand new from 2011...

I have a gs-911 and the steering stem bolt tool if you ever need it.
Thanks you!!! I enjoy the forum here. I have a lot to learn about em for sure. nah this one came outta bend oregon 15k miles so hopin shes got some track life left yet.🤞 haha. Looks decent and well maintained, never tracked.:rolleyes:

Probably doing Akro full exhaust here. briefly thought of chopping the cat and doing the Dan moto with the stock pipe but ill just pull and trash it for new, then do a full dyno tune. Be all new race fairings and definitely a new seat. im 6'2 about 210 so the stock seat sucked for me riding it home. definitely doing adjustable rear sets for more room too.

Thanks for the offer on the tools!! Appreciate that for sure!!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey thanks Rainman!!

Yeah I've done 2fasts events many times. Always had fun doing it too. The ridge has the best track ive ridden and its not too far which is awesome.

Definately gonna contact Nels when im ready. Got some work ahead of me yet before im ready but wont be too long. Should be a capable track toy when im done!!

Awesome forum here, been searching posts for tips.

Thanks for the help!
So...I'll bet you know Steven and Troy Cook...Stevo (he's the cover girl on their flyer) is one of my best friends and riding mentor when I first started doing trackdays. And Troy is just freakin fast!

·
Vendor
2,313 Posts
Welcome to BMW !

Let me know if I can help out with any ECU advise like RCK2/ HP power kit enables.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So...I'll bet you know Steven and Troy Cook...Stevo (he's the cover girl on their flyer) is one of my best friends and riding mentor when I first started doing trackdays. And Troy is just freakin fast!
Yeah man awesome people and super fun times all the time! I enjoy every second of their track days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to BMW !

Let me know if I can help out with any ECU advise like RCK2/ HP power kit enables.
Right on!! Awesome thanks!! I have much to learn on BMW i see. Planned on having it torn down this week but been reading a lot on here before i start. Probably best too. Plus had to strip my old trashed track bike out to get rid of that stuff.

Defiantely be hitting you up on this. Thanks! 😀

1 - 18 of 18 Posts