BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

new to the site but not at all new to forums.

My first bike was a 2012 Ninja 650 that I owned for 3 years, put 24,000 km on that one and was a great starter bike. Currently ride a 2014 ZX6R that I bought brand new in 2015 - enjoyed this bike for 5 solid years/ 35,600 km of riding and occasional track day, and it was my dream bike to own. However here in Quebec our government does not quite know what they are doing and all supersports bikes (regardless of CC) are considered "High-Risk" and cost us $1800 per summer to plate (it has been going up every year)

After several years of this I have decided it's time to look for a bike that would fill the hole in my heart if I were to sell the ZX6R. Been looking at the S1000R for a few years now - it seemed to have the power and handling I would enjoy and loads of tech. Also, it costs 1/3 the price to plate each summer (figure that one out - it's got an extra 35HP!)

I am wondering, the two dealerships in my area that sell BMW motorcycles advertise them at $15,800 CAD but they all have a note saying that price does not include manufacturer "options" (meaning sport pack, dynamic pack, heated grips) but all the S1000R for sale here have those options by default (as far as I know we cannot build-to-order here) and the one I am getting was around $19,600 MSRP with all these options, minus a $1000 incentive they're giving me at $18,500-ish (PDI included). This is still a significant difference from the advertised $15,800. I find this pretty weird - is this standard practice for these bikes? Note: I totally think the bike is worth the money - a new ZX6R runs around $13K plus any options and PDI etc and has a lot less tech than the BMW and no brembos.

Right now I have my ZX6R up for sale because trade-in value was pretty bad (will be my back-up option) and my bike is absolutely pristine, hoping someone snags it up before I have to trade it in - really looking forward to owning this BMW after test riding one last Thursday!!!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Welcome! That San Marino color is awesome! What was the trade in offer on the Zx6R?

And I think Quebec has different advertising rules compared to the rest of Canada.

Not sure why you can’t custom build a bike? You can here in Toronto, you just have to obviously wait for it.

Looking forward to seeing some real day light pics of that color! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! That San Marino color is awesome! What was the trade in offer on the Zx6R?

And I think Quebec has different advertising rules compared to the rest of Canada.

Not sure why you can’t custom build a bike? You can here in Toronto, you just have to obviously wait for it.

Looking forward to seeing some real day light pics of that color! Congrats

thanks! - I really did love the blue color - the dealer found the only one in the province or wtv apparently, I was happy - it should match my Lapiz blue golf R pretty well :p

Maybe I didn't ask about building my own, or ordering is closed - should delve deeper, but the bike I test drove had all those options and I really liked them (sport mode and DDC is a MUST, I love DDC on my golf especially given the shitty roads here in Quebec)

Trade-in they offered on my ZX6R was $4k - I know my bike is easily worth $6K given the condition and how I have kept it, and also given pricing on the market (I am selling below market price). Hoping to find a buyer!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
GLWS for the Zx6R. Maybe post up the link here...who knows, maybe someone is looking for second or track bike?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LWS for the Zx6R. Maybe post up the link here...who knows, maybe someone is looking for second or track bike?
true - I'll have a look in the for-sale section - I am guessing there are more USA or outside province users VS my area (Quebec) but who knows. A friend MIGHT buy the bike, as he had the same bike as me that got stolen last year, but he "has to ask his wife first"...😏 my fiancee was the one who told me to "Just buy the damn S1000R"! lol I got a keeper.

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
Most dealers, car or bike, will offer the stripper price with a picture of the full dressed model and a tiny little note "shown with optional extras at additional cost". Quebec, Ontario, Canada USA all the same in this respect. You can theoretically buy one at that price, but nobody does. Welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most dealers, car or bike, will offer the stripper price with a picture of the full dressed model and a tiny little note "shown with optional extras at additional cost". Quebec, Ontario, Canada USA all the same in this respect. You can theoretically buy one at that price, but nobody does. Welcome.
Thanks for the welcome! Hoping everything works out smoothly for this new bike moving forward - we shall see over the next week.

I actually went to the BMW motorrad USA site (.com) earlier today and was able to do a "Build your own" for the S1000R, which lists out each option and pricing, with all the options it's an extra $2100 USD so it makes sense the price they quoted me at the dealership. I don`t understand how BMW Canada site doesn't have the "Build your own" option where you can compare the options and their prices to at least see the breakdown.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They do. Or they did. Just had a look, no option to build it but they do have a .pdf with all the pricing.
ahh man the only brochure I could find on the .ca site was without pricing - thanks for that!!! Looks like total price comes to $18820 without forged wheels so not sure where they got the $19,600 unless their PDI is another $800 charge. And man does sales tax suck here at 15% - vive le Québec....

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
As they say je me souviens I'm sure it will be itemized on the quote. Probably $$ for freight, $$ for PDI and $$ for registration paperwork.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As they say je me souviens I'm sure it will be itemized on the quote. Probably $$ for freight, $$ for PDI and $$ for registration paperwork.
yeah still not bad they are giving me $1000 off that price so still under the MSRP for the exact bike I want...no hits on my ZX6R yet surprisingly so looks like a trade-in is likely, I'll be taking a hit there but the more I research the S1000R, the more it makes sense.

·
Administrator
6,700 Posts
A lot of Quebecers are in the same situation as you, more likely you'll sell the Kawi in Ontario, did you try Kijiji?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of Quebecers are in the same situation as you, more likely you'll sell the Kawi in Ontario, did you try Kijiji?
yes the bike is on kijiji, autotrader, and facebook marketplace. No hits yet, one of my friends who lives back and forth between Qc-Toronto is interested but I don't think he will get the OK from his wife for that type of bike (lol) - I have until next week to sell as agreed with my salesman (end of June) and I would like to get the bike as of July 1 so I can get a refund on SS plates for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So got off with sales director from dealership who, it just so happens, I have known for a long time in the bike world. He said the San Marino blue they ended up getting (which was the last one available) came with forged wheels, he knew I didn't want so he made me a pretty good deal on that option. Only looked it up quickly and seems like people really like the forged wheels. Will be trading in my ZX6R to them, as no serious bites on it, and always a hassle dealing with people through Kijiji, Facebook marketplace (lowball/non-serious offers and lots of ghosting) - the sooner I get rid of mine the sooner I start saving money on plates - probably going to un-plate it tomorrow (before July) and trailer it over to them so I don,t have to pay plates for July.

I should be taking delivery this Thursday evening...pretty excited! Will have to call my insurance and get that sorted out as well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome to the forum, make sure you send lots of photos when you get it.
like this :)

what is interesting is the tail, tank, and front fender would all fit on 15-19 RR's by the look of them...mmmm, blue...

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
what is interesting is the tail, tank, and front fender would all fit on 15-19 RR's by the look of them...mmmm, blue...
Tail, tank, front fender, rear fender, tank side/top covers will all fit 14-19 RR (as will both seats)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys and definitely will take pics.

I un-plated my ZX6R tuesday (saved a boatload of money) and BMW just came to pick it up about 20 minutes ago, so I didn't have to ride it to the dealership (free of charge) very professional so far I am impressed with the service. It was a little bittersweet to see the Kawi go, it has been my trusty steed for 5 years, 36,000km and a handful of track days. I just need to jump on the new bike to start forgetting the old one!

I have a track day scheduled this saturday, I figured I would ask them to bump me down to the slow group and just use the day to take my time and learn the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took delivery last night and couldn't be more excited...the blue is stunning in person, really accents the features of the bike. The bike itself is a beast, easily handles as well as my ZX did, but still some getting used to of course, and not pushing turnis with new tires on. 50km on the bike so far and about to go on a lunch-break ride - I just can't resist!

As promised here's a photo from the delivery - excuse my silly grin :p

IMG_2245.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I took the bike to the track yesterday , was able to switch to the green (slow) group from yellow (medium fast) group since it’s a new bike. Kept it on dynamic mode the whole time. All I can say is wow...this bike is a monster on the track and the handling is just unreal! First few sessions were a little iffy (aka I was slow) since I was not quite used to it and wanted to refresh myself on the track layout. Halfway through the second session, I followed one of the marshalls, to ensure I had the right racing lines, he kept looking back and I was right on his tail so he’d increase a bit his pace, after a few minutes he gave me a thumbs up and after that I had the confidence to really push the bike more towards its potential (safely with a good margin of error) and it was amazing. Pretty sure i have a faster pace than with my ZX6R. I think the pic of my tires represent my day well - definitely got rid of any chicken strips!

cant wait to get the limiter removed and be able to feel the full range of RPM - will be less shifting required on each straightaway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts