BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls, new to the forum.
I picked up my 2017 S1K last weekend and you guessed it, it’s been raining everyday since haha. Lots of future mods planned. Only have the one pic of the day I got it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Congrats! Hope the absurd Nazi-esque lockdowns down undah are eased up soon, or, preferrably, you take your country back from the tyrants, so you can actually go ride it. Best of luck with it and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum mate. You'll certainly enjoy riding every minute of it.

What mods were you thinking of doing ? A radiator guard would be well worth the investment.

Glad to see you're on the good side of Oz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome, yes the lockdown sucked but slowly getting back to normal.

Future mods, well the list is long but off the top of my head:
Radiator guards (ordered)
Tinted screen
Cat delete
Slip on or full exhaust undecided, I want loud but not to loud as it will get used for work from time to time.
Suspension set up correctly
Probably some carbon parts
Tune would like a brentune but not sure where local that does them, if anyone has info on a good place to go in Newcastle/Sydney let me know.
Then hit up some track days when money permits.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, yes the lockdown sucked but slowly getting back to normal.

Tinted screen
Cat delete
Slip on or full exhaust undecided, I want loud but not to loud as it will get used for work from time to time.
Tune would like a brentune but not sure where local that does them, if anyone has info on a good place to go in Newcastle/Sydney let me know.
I've got a 2015, and to my knowledge there isn't a "cat delete" besides getting a full exhaust system (headers on back) because the cats are part of the headers. The 2017-2018 MIGHT be different in that respect because those 2 years got a different header with the giant catbox and intake foam (easily removed for more hp), but I doubt it. I dunno if it was a legal thing where the cats can't simply be unbolted (like on my KTM - thankfully!), but on the 2015-2016 at least they're welded in place.

Most important mod: Sargent seat. What fun is it if you're too uncomfortable to ride it?

Also, look into the SW-Motech tankbags that use the ring around the gas cap. I have the system on BOTH my bikes and it's awesome. I have 2 different sizes for use on my 'RR (one of the benefits to using the ring system), and a different one for my KTM since the ring must be mounted backwards. If you had 2 bikes like the 'RR you could most likely just use one bag with both bikes. I have to say, that even doing some fairly serious offroading on the KTM, standing up, etc., it's never even hinted at moving around, let alone coming loose. They use the ring and don't touch the tank, so there are no straps to scratch the tank or anything.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
sideways Miss Jane.

welcome to the forum, where in Oz are ya?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice ZZZ, I have found cat deletes but you have to cut the pipe and cats off so not really a slip on fitment. Can’t really afford a full system but the no exhaust note is annoying. Previous bike was a worked 09 cbr1000rr with a cat delete and shorty GP muffler, sounded amazing.
The tank bag sounds like a good idea, I will look into one of those. Cheers

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome.
I'd just go to Brentune direct. Buy the handheld device so you can flash it yourself and go back to stock map anytime.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Thanks for the advice ZZZ, I have found cat deletes but you have to cut the pipe and cats off so not really a slip on fitment. Can’t really afford a full system but the no exhaust note is annoying. Previous bike was a worked 09 cbr1000rr with a cat delete and shorty GP muffler, sounded amazing.
The tank bag sounds like a good idea, I will look into one of those. Cheers
G'day Mate! LOL I have a Yosh R55-LE slip-on on mine and love it. It's a lot lounder, has a really quality sound (unlike, say, a ratty AR can) and is small and light.

I have the older "EVO" Sport tankbag, and the Micro for my 'RR. The new "PRO" system is actually better and easier because is uses a couple strong magnets to help put the bag on the ring when re-mounting it, sadly they're not compatible. The only thing I don't like about the new "PRO" tankbags is that you don't get a map pocket, but with the molle system you can get an accessory waterproof tablet/map pocket so maybe it works out even better as it does give you more flexibility. I'd get these 2 for the large and 1 small bags (you'll need to buy the ring, sold separately to fit specific bikes).
PRO Sport tank bag. 12 l-17 l. (sw-motech.us)
The original PRO Trial tank bag - from SW-MOTECH
PRO Micro tank bag. 3-5 l. (sw-motech.us)

Yosh slip-on (little pricey here, might find a better deal elsewhere):
Yoshimura S1000RR 2017-19 ALPHA T Slip-On Exhaust Titanium Muffler – Yoshimura R&D of America, Inc (yoshimura-rd.com)

I have the R-55-LE, which won't fit your bike but the tankbags mentioned will:
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G'day Mate! LOL I have a Yosh R55-LE slip-on on mine and love it. It's a lot lounder, has a really quality sound (unlike, say, a ratty AR can) and is small and light.

I have the older "EVO" Sport tankbag, and the Micro for my 'RR. The new "PRO" system is actually better and easier because is uses a couple strong magnets to help put the bag on the ring when re-mounting it, sadly they're not compatible. The only thing I don't like about the new "PRO" tankbags is that you don't get a map pocket, but with the molle system you can get an accessory waterproof tablet/map pocket so maybe it works out even better as it does give you more flexibility. I'd get these 2 for the large and 1 small bags (you'll need to buy the ring, sold separately to fit specific bikes).
PRO Sport tank bag. 12 l-17 l. (sw-motech.us)
The original PRO Trial tank bag - from SW-MOTECH
PRO Micro tank bag. 3-5 l. (sw-motech.us)

Yosh slip-on (little pricey here, might find a better deal elsewhere):
Yoshimura S1000RR 2017-19 ALPHA T Slip-On Exhaust Titanium Muffler – Yoshimura R&D of America, Inc (yoshimura-rd.com)

I have the R-55-LE, which won't fit your bike but the tankbags mentioned will:
View attachment 219031
Haha I don’t think I’ve ever said G’day mate but “Hey mate” is common.

Thanks for the links, those bags look pretty good and would come in handy so yeah might be put on the mod list.

Ive looked at heaps of slip ons and with the cat still in place they all sound pretty much stock so that big waste of space needs to go.

·
Registered
990 Posts
See if you can find a slipon with a removable baffle. I had an sc project on my 2015. With the baffle in it was as loud as stock, with it removed it was loud but not obnoxiously so. Sounded wicked too.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah it's just one of many I own.
I like those guys, obviously they couldn't find a guitarist and are better for it.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Tinted screen
Cat delete
Just watch for the fitment for some of the carbon parts. I went down the Full-Six route and ended up being quite a hassle to get things fitting properly. Overall it looks pretty good and gives you a fairly unique look, compared to some of the other S1KRR out there.

The short Akra slip-on is a nice addition, if you want to clean up the muffler side a bit. Nice sound, not too loud.

+1 for Shane at S1000K RACING - ALPINE PERFORMANCE

Reactions: pilot51 and Amok

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just watch for the fitment for some of the carbon parts. I went down the Full-Six route and ended up being quite a hassle to get things fitting properly. Overall it looks pretty good and gives you a fairly unique look, compared to some of the other S1KRR out there.

The short Akra slip-on is a nice addition, if you want to clean up the muffler side a bit. Nice sound, not too loud.

+1 for Shane at S1000K RACING - ALPINE PERFORMANCE
thanks for the heads up mate.
Your bike looks sweet, I don’t mind the look of that slip on, the cat painted black makes it look a lot cleaner as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts