BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new fleet of K67's and just did our first school of the year at Vegas. It was nice to get back on track after the winter break. We are now sponsored by Liqui Moly and we also have a new helmet sponsor, KYT. They have 12 riders in the MotoGP paddock wearing their helmets (KYT and Suomy are the same helmets with different branding). Oh, aaaaand fingers crossed, we may be getting a K66 which is the M1000RR.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I though there was a stop sale on these?
Yes but not a stop ride. The stop sale is concerning the brake calipers as we all know. We keep a very close eye on them. Of all the K67's we have had (31 in the previous fleet and 31 in this new fleet), not one of them has leaked even one drop of brake fluid.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So a few suspension tweaks and ECU flash? Relatively minor mods on these bikes? Looks like stock cats are intact so "clean and green" haha

Still the best production bike of 2021 in the $20k price range imo

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes but not a stop ride. The stop sale is concerning the brake calipers as we all know. We keep a very close eye on them. Of all the K67's we have had (31 in the previous fleet and 31 in this new fleet), not one of them has leaked even one drop of brake fluid.
I know all that, but how were you able to get them when no one else can get their bikes?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a few suspension tweaks and ECU flash? Relatively minor mods on these bikes? Looks like stock cats are intact so "clean and green" haha

Still the best production bike of 2021 in the $20k price range imo
We leave the bikes alone with regard to mods. In the last 10 years we actually have never done any mods on the bikes, unless we were doing a special project build.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Interesting - maybe the mid rpm dead zone isn't as big of a deal on track, but I hate to leave that 30-40 hp midrange on the table, plus the idle is so much better (Brentune)

DDC settings?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting - maybe the mid rpm dead zone isn't as big of a deal on track, but I hate to leave that 30-40 hp midrange on the table, plus the idle is so much better (Brentune)

DDC settings?
A flash will be better for sure. On a two day camp two riders alternate riding the same bike. On a single day school, three riders alternate on a bike. We don't do a lot of playing around with the settings unless someone is doing our race school where only one person rides the same bike for two days. The DDC settings are the default ones for the normal modes: Dynamic, etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
A flash will be better for sure. On a two day camp two riders alternate riding the same bike. On a single day school, three riders alternate on a bike. We don't do a lot of playing around with the settings unless someone is doing our race school where only one person rides the same bike for two days. The DDC settings are the default ones for the normal modes: Dynamic, etc...
We got our new fleet of K67's and just did our first school of the year at Vegas. It was nice to get back on track after the winter break. We are now sponsored by Liqui Moly and we also have a new helmet sponsor, KYT. They have 12 riders in the MotoGP paddock wearing their helmets (KYT and Suomy are the same helmets with different branding). Oh, aaaaand fingers crossed, we may be getting a K66 which is the M1000RR.
View attachment 215254
View attachment 215255
What race fairings are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What race fairings are you guys using?
We have two brands: initially we got the Carbonin in mid 2019 because that was the only brand available. We had no choice and they are good. Since then we got Armour Bodies who is our sponsor. So the white ones are Carbonin and the black ones are Armour Bodies, which we will be using going forward. Both are good. Not sure what the price difference is.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stole my color combo! Maybe one day you can invite us STT folks to come party with you! That would be a fun time
Yes I saw a photo of an Ilmberger all carbon K67 with the stripes and wanted to do that look. We already had the decals we made for the white fairings so we just put them on and everyone seems to like how they turned out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A flash will be better for sure.
With a Bren handheld you could probably flash the entire fleet in an hour without removing ECUs. Your students would love it. Maybe you have the EU tune which isn't as bad but the US tune is ugly

·
Registered
739 Posts
With a Bren handheld you could probably flash the entire fleet in an hour without removing ECUs. Your students would love it. Maybe you have the EU tune which isn't as bad but the US tune is ugly
You would think so, but apparently the crypto match to the ECU is done by the handheld software, not just in the ECU flash file, so the current delivery system would require a different handheld for each bike or someone from BT with the key-generator necessary to do a handheld reset each time. I doubt that BT would want to deliver the flash via a less secure delivery mechanism since they don't want their tune to get out and be pirated. I guess BT could have Troy go out to a CSS camp and flash most/all of the bikes in return for some great training and a new sponsor. I imagine Floyd would jump upon such a deal.

I also don't know what BMW would think about their bikes having a third party flash despite the track-only application. It implies that the flash is needed and the new production bike is insufficient, which it is. Everyone with a new US RR needs a flash.

Per your question, CSS uses standard US bikes with the standard US tune, and it is a problem, at least for the intermediates-group track riders on up. The guy on the bike next to mine (owns an R1) complained about the lack of power on corner exit. I had to explain to him what the deal was. I can't help but think that CSS gets a fair number of complaints from repeat customers that didn't have the problem there on the previous K46s despite the fact the new K67 is better in most/all other ways.

The problem with the standard US tune on the track for teaching is its power instability and tough gear choice. For example, at LVMS this weekend there are a number of decreasing-radius hairpins (e.g., 6, 10, 11, 13) where you're starting corner exit at a very low speed. Normally 2nd gear would be reasonable in these at less than a race pace because by the time you're fully rolled during exit, you're in the meaty part of the rev range, but the US tune just leaves the bike dead and lagging out of the corner until you hit the magic 8500-ish RPM whereupon you get that sudden 2-stroke type power surge and wheelie. This must be a disconcerting surprise to newbies.

Alternatively you can use 1st gear to get far more power from the outset, and this is certainly what you would do if you're focused on lap times, but it's potentially very jerky for those mostly working on smooth cornering technique. For these pedagogical purposes, at least for most students, the previous K46 tune worked better. That's sad given how much better the K67 is otherwise.

Unfortunately the BMW so-called "torque-optimization" tune also fails in a variety of other ways. It still doesn't give full midrange power and would piss off the fast guys on the top end.

I imagine CSS has attempted a conversation or two with Motorrad on the topic, but Germans aren't particularly open to outside ideas.

·
Vendor
1,190 Posts
You would think so, but apparently the crypto match to the ECU is done by the handheld software, not just in the ECU flash file, so the current delivery system would require a different handheld for each bike or someone from BT with the key-generator necessary to do a handheld reset each time. I doubt that BT would want to deliver the flash via a less secure delivery mechanism since they don't want their tune to get out and be pirated. I guess BT could have Troy go out to a CSS camp and flash most/all of the bikes in return for some great training and a new sponsor. I imagine Floyd would jump upon such a deal.

I also don't know what BMW would think about their bikes having a third party flash despite the track-only application. It implies that the flash is needed and the new production bike is insufficient, which it is. Everyone with a new US RR needs a flash.

Per your question, CSS uses standard US bikes with the standard US tune, and it is a problem, at least for the intermediates-group track riders on up. The guy on the bike next to mine (owns an R1) complained about the lack of power on corner exit. I had to explain to him what the deal was. I can't help but think that CSS gets a fair number of complaints from repeat customers that didn't have the problem there on the previous K46s despite the fact the new K67 is better in most/all other ways.

The problem with the standard US tune on the track for teaching is its power instability and tough gear choice. For example, at LVMS this weekend there are a number of decreasing-radius hairpins (e.g., 6, 10, 11, 13) where you're starting corner exit at a very low speed. Normally 2nd gear would be reasonable in these at less than a race pace because by the time you're fully rolled during exit, you're in the meaty part of the rev range, but the US tune just leaves the bike dead and lagging out of the corner until you hit the magic 8500-ish RPM whereupon you get that sudden 2-stroke type power surge and wheelie. This must be a disconcerting surprise to newbies.

Alternatively you can use 1st gear to get far more power from the outset, and this is certainly what you would do if you're focused on lap times, but it's potentially very jerky for those mostly working on smooth cornering technique. For these pedagogical purposes, at least for most students, the previous K46 tune worked better. That's sad given how much better the K67 is otherwise.

Unfortunately the BMW so-called "torque-optimization" tune also fails in a variety of other ways. It still doesn't give full midrange power and would piss off the fast guys on the top end.

I imagine CSS has attempted a conversation or two with Motorrad on the topic, but Germans aren't particularly open to outside ideas.
We already flashed a coaches bike, which JJ loved, and always looking for a partnership opportunity to help riders enjoy the S1000RR just as much as we do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts