BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helite just released a new tetherless air vest, which looks well thought out on paper. To be available in the US soon.
I was about to get the tech air 5 which supports track/street, but hard to wear under a race suit/jacket, not breathable from feedback I found, has plenty of coverage on ribs & shoulders, but back protector could be better. Requires mailing to Alpine* after 2 crashes. First two repairs is $180, third is $300 (vest replacement).

Hlite eGP: seems to be better. Lighter, way more breathable, works for street/track, has back/chest level 2 protectors.
It has an extra optional fork sensor to optimize 0mph impacts on the street. Tech air is $200 cheaper tech air 5.

Thoughts which one to get for both 60%/40% track/street?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Hard to say without trying it on. I have the A* Tech 5 and like it a lot but apply it mostly for street use. This new helite doesn’t seem to have sleeves for some shoulder protection. But it seems less bulky and more breathable.

·
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say without trying it on.
I asked Helite repo about shoulder coverage, he said Helite has largest air volume of all air bags. When it inflates it keeps head/helmet in place. Most broken collar bone are due to helmet impact on them.

How is riding with Tech air 5 on street? In 80-90F weather?
How bulky is it? I had Alp* tech race with their suit, but got rid of it, it was too bulky.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Riding on very hot days with the tech air 5 can get a bit uncomfortable but I am happy with the tradeoffs until something better comes along. It does take some room underneath the jacket. This new helite, if shoulder protection is good, could be a real improvement. I’d also ideally prefer to wear the airbag above the jacket, if possible. I have the A* missile race suit for track use, so, only really needed the airbag for the street.

54 Posts
Hey guys! Yes, HELITE will be releasing their Electronic Vests in the US around June. As soon as we have a firm ETA we will be sharing more and more details to make sure all answers are answered. In the meantime I recommend to reach out to me directly if you have any questions, concerns etc. My email is [email protected]

One crucial aspect to keep in mind is that wearing an airbag underneath your riding gear will limit the inflation volume and is, in fact, counter productive. The HELITE vests provide the biggest airbag volume while also making sure that your neck and head movement is immobilized. Other airbag options fail to do so.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hey guys! Yes, HELITE will be releasing their Electronic Vests in the US around June. As soon as we have a firm ETA we will be sharing more and more details to make sure all answers are answered. In the meantime I recommend to reach out to me directly if you have any questions, concerns etc. My email is [email protected]

One crucial aspect to keep in mind is that wearing an airbag underneath your riding gear will limit the inflation volume and is, in fact, counter productive. The HELITE vests provide the biggest airbag volume while also making sure that your neck and head movement is immobilized. Other airbag options fail to do so.
Like I found with the tethered Helite vis-a-vis all day street riding, this looks intolerably warm for all day riding above say 85F or so. That would be OK for repeated ~20 minute track sessions with cool down periods in between. My question: This "has been particularly designed for race track", will there be a different street version or will Helite be marketing this for the street also?

54 Posts
Like I found with the tethered Helite vis-a-vis all day street riding, this looks intolerably warm for all day riding above say 85F or so. That would be OK for repeated ~20 minute track sessions with cool down periods in between. My question: This "has been particularly designed for race track", will there be a different street version or will Helite be marketing this for the street also?
HELITE will be offering a Race Track specific Vest, the E-GP Air, as well as a Street option called E-Turtle! More information and details will be released soon...

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I saw that, but the E-Turtle looks to be an e version of the current intolerably hot tethered turtle. I was hoping for something that let more air flow under it during use.

54 Posts
I saw that, but the E-Turtle looks to be an e version of the current intolerably hot tethered turtle. I was hoping for something that let more air flow under it during use.
Surprised to hear that the Turtle Vest is adding that much heat. Most of the customers respond that they can barely notice the addition of the vest. Either way, I can confirm that the E-Turtle is identical to the current Turtle2 Vest in design but simply without the tether.

The GP Air Vest is more aerodynamic and form fitting.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
383 Posts
Surprised to hear that the Turtle Vest is adding that much heat. Most of the customers respond that they can barely notice the addition of the vest. Either way, I can confirm that the E-Turtle is identical to the current Turtle2 Vest in design but simply without the tether.

The GP Air Vest is more aerodynamic and form fitting.
Mid July last year my wife, wearing the Turtle2, and I, wearing something else, went on a trip to Washington state and back(Colorado). I realize folks have different levels of tolerance for heat/cold, but in her case, she did not have issues dealing with the summer heat. My/her $0.02 worth.

FWIW, Patrick, over the phone, was extremely helpful when I peppered him with many questions last year prior to buying the vest for my wife.

54 Posts
Mid July last year my wife, wearing the Turtle2, and I, wearing something else, went on a trip to Washington state and back. I realize folks have different levels of tolerance for heat/cold, but in her case, she did not have issues dealing with the summer heat. My/her $0.02 worth.

FWIW, Patrick, over the phone, was extremely helpful when I peppered him with many questions last year prior to buying the vest for my wife.
That's the common feedback I usually receive in regards to added heat with the Turtle2 Vests but as you pointed out correctly - every rider has a very different tolerance level when it comes to this topic. Ride safe....

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
383 Posts
HELITE will be offering a Race Track specific Vest, the E-GP Air, as well as a Street option called E-Turtle!
When you say the E-GP for race track specific does it translate into saying "not for street use". Similar to the Dianese D-Air models? Seems like the E-turtle would be fine for a person riding an adventure/normal street bike, but I wonder if it would be cumbersome or look awkward while riding a sportbike with a sportbike jacket. Would be nice if the E-GP could also be used on the streets.

54 Posts
When you say the E-GP for race track specific does it translate into saying "not for street use". Similar to the Dianese D-Air models? Seems like the E-turtle would be fine for a person riding an adventure/normal street bike, but I wonder if it would be cumbersome or look awkward while riding a sportbike with a sportbike jacket. Would be nice if the E-GP could also be used on the streets.
The electronic vests feature a very sophisticated algorithm that is specifically set-up for either Street riding or the Race Track. A "hybrid" version that allows for riding on Street, Track and Off-road is not available yet but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until it is...

·
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By default the eGP vest is for the track, it comes with an optional fork sensor (wireless bluetooth, no battery needed for 5 years) that makes it more street friendly. It can detect zero mph crashes that other vests cannot detect (rear ended).

I like many things about the eGP, but not requiring a traditional back protector is surprising, if the suit malfunctions, does not deploy without a back protector it would be disastrous.
Apparently riders that don't want to wait till June to order in the US are ordering from EU now. I hope to find a review of tech air 5 and eGP soon so I can order. They seem the best two options out there.

Reactions: gmten
54 Posts
By default the eGP vest is for the track, it comes with an optional fork sensor (wireless bluetooth, no battery needed for 5 years) that makes it more street friendly. It can detect zero mph crashes that other vests cannot detect (rear ended).

I like many things about the eGP, but not requiring a traditional back protector is surprising, if the suit malfunctions, does not deploy without a back protector it would be disastrous.
Apparently riders that don't want to wait till June to order in the US are ordering from EU now. I hope to find a review of tech air 5 and eGP soon so I can order. They seem the best two options out there.
Thank you for your input! Do NOT order the eGP from Europe as they will not be able to ship you the vest with the required triggering mechanism and we will not be able to provide it! The version for the US market will differ and has the latest software/algorithm. In order to acquire FCC approval for the US market HELITE had to specifically engineer Vests for us. Any e-vests purchased in Europe will not match the US models so we will not be able to provide parts for them. Companies in Europe should also not sell these to US customers either....

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you say the E-GP for race track specific does it translate into saying "not for street use". Similar to the Dianese D-Air models? Seems like the E-turtle would be fine for a person riding an adventure/normal street bike, but I wonder if it would be cumbersome or look awkward while riding a sportbike with a sportbike jacket like vlone jacket. Would be nice if the E-GP could also be used on the streets.
E-GP is a very sophisticated thing for either Street riding or the Race Track. These E-GP could also be used on the streets when this will be in demand.

·
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Breathability is a huge concern. I found that Held now offers a great air vest using inMotion setup (same as one offered by Klim).
So now it's down to Helite, Klim/Held, and tech air 5.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts